Frontline Not Working

Guest aeroangie

Guest aeroangie

I just did all my animals on the first and I found a flea on Otis tonight. Is it OK to reapply it or do I need to go and buy something else? I have heard the fleas are getting resistant but it hasn't even been two weeks!

I had exactly the same problem and emailed my vet about it. She said she was seeing a lot of this type of thing this year and suggested I switch to Advantage and redose in 7 - 10 days from the day I put the Frontline on. I waited 2 weeks, put the Advantage on and it worked well. I had to redose the Advantage at 3.5 weeks instead of 4 when I found a tiny flea on Carl. Now that fall is approaching I'm looking forward to not needing to worry about flea treatments for at least 7 - 8 months!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I wouldn't redose that quickly.

None of the products kill all fleas instantly. If you go somewhere with a lot of fleas, you'll see some on the dog for a time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Angela, I live just down the road from you in Jacksonville. I have not had a flea problem in years since I started using the Comfortis once a month pill. You get it at the vet's office. Kinda pricey since I have 3 dogs but still very much worth it to us. Since using the Comfortis we've never gone back to anything topical.

Living on the coast you may be picking up some sand fleas or neighborhood fleas as you go out for a walk.

A local remedy for getting fleas out of your house is to put the leaves and branches from the wax myrtle bushes on the floors of your house. Leave them down for a few days then toss them outside near the doors of your house. Certainly make sure your dogs don't think this is out for him/her to chew on. The wax myrtle leaves have a slight cedar-like odor to them. This worked for me when I lived at Ocracoke.

If you ask for someone to point out a wax myrtle bush for you, the pronounciation on Ocracoke was "wax myrkle".

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Frontline has stopped working for a lot of people.

You CAN use Adams Flea and Tick Mist, even though you've used the Frontline. I mist mine every seven days, and no fleas or ticks.

I have a good friend in Florida, who had a huge tick problem, and for her, Comfortis did the trick. Good Luck!

Comfortis doesn't treat ticks, only fleas.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest aeroangie

Hey everyone and THANKS! I will try the Comfortis. Our cousin is my vet so I will get this tomorrow.

Macoduck - howdy neighbor! I have at least 50 Wax Myrtles all around my yard (the perimeter) and they are huge too. I will try the branches tomorrow! I live on the river, and basically, you could call it the wilderness. Very few houses in the neighborhood, so we never have contact with other people's pets (unless we make a plan to meet at my house so the dogs can play together.) I do have cats that come and go as they please, and they were treated at the same time. I'll ask the vet about them too. Oh yeah - I know you miss Ocracoke! We are taking our boat there 9/23 and I am sooo excited!

Energy11 - I will also look for the Adams Flea and Tick Mist. I have a problem with my Chinese Crested - no topicals work on him because he is hairless except for his head, tail and socks so Adams might be just the ticket for him.

Again - thanks!

Guest GreyFan09

Aeroangie, I have the same problem as you with Frontline Plus not working on my dog this year. Some people still have success with it, but maybe its my geographical area? I don't know. I got some Adams Flea mist for him and gave him a couple good applications of it. Since then I've been going over him with a fine-tooth comb (literally) for 3 weeks and he's been flea-free, so I am really pleased with the Adams product. I also need to change to another brand of flea control and since people report good results with the Comfortis, Revolution or Advantage, I will talk to my Vet about these and make a decision.

Good Luck!

Hey everyone and THANKS! I will try the Comfortis. Our cousin is my vet so I will get this tomorrow.

Macoduck - howdy neighbor! I have at least 50 Wax Myrtles all around my yard (the perimeter) and they are huge too. I will try the branches tomorrow! I live on the river, and basically, you could call it the wilderness. Very few houses in the neighborhood, so we never have contact with other people's pets (unless we make a plan to meet at my house so the dogs can play together.) I do have cats that come and go as they please, and they were treated at the same time. I'll ask the vet about them too. Oh yeah - I know you miss Ocracoke! We are taking our boat there 9/23 and I am sooo excited!

Energy11 - I will also look for the Adams Flea and Tick Mist. I have a problem with my Chinese Crested - no topicals work on him because he is hairless except for his head, tail and socks so Adams might be just the ticket for him.

Again - thanks!

You might run into some other greyhounds while you are there. Randy Barrow, founder of Greyhound Friends of NC lives there much of the year.

Whether you're just walking through the village or near the beach, there's plenty of sand spurs to stick in Otis' feet. No vet on the island but there used to be one in Hatteras village.

I used to work on the ferries and as a park ranger and some of the old timers might remember me as "Duck". I was a bit notorious back in the 1970-1980's. :rolleyes:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest mcsheltie

Don't give another flea medication until it has been over 3 weeks. It is not safe!

It may still be working. Frontline does not kill them instantly. It takes up to 24 hours.

Edited by mcsheltie