A Corn Question

DevilDog

Can you feel the sarcasm? :lol

So Sage is my corn girl. (Side story: When I went to NGAP to adopt her, she was sweet as pie and the kennel favorite. When I asked why in the world she hadn't been adopted yet, they said "because she gets corns". Can you believe it?! Well it's my problem now. :P) She currently has a whopper of a corn on one front pad. She limps pretty good on hard surfaces. This is my first corn experience, so I've been drenching it in Bag Balm covered in a baby sock every night and she wears a bootie when we go on walks. Other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to get rid of it (hull), but I can see no 'edges' to the corn. I inspect it every night..

So do corns take a while to develop these hard edges? Do I wait in the mean time..?

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Energy11

Amazing that no one would adopt her because of corns!! What the heck? Glad you did :-))

Our Staggerlee has corns on his two back paws. I have hulled them, and lately, we've been Dremmeling the corns to make them smooth. Lee Lee walks better when they are dremmeled, and also, if we go for walks, he wears his Voyagers booties. That is basically all we do.

Good luck!

Can you take a pic?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd stick some duct tape on it and stop the bag balm (maybe that's why it's not developing edges?). Get good duct tape from Home Depot or Lowe's (Nashua I think?) and cut the piece just bigger than the corn, not the whole pad. Maybe contact Iliaria about getting her a Therapaw (tho Rex HATED his and would undo the strap with his teeth to take it off).

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest arlosmom

Kingfish has multiple corns and we put kerosolv on it and also bee propolis to soften up, then dremmel the corn and eventually the edges come up and we can hull them. I heard there is a new treatment to treat the virus that causes some of them but I don't know what it is so that I can ask my vet about it. Arlo had one once that was surgically removed but I really would not recommend it. It did not come back however.

Even if you can't see an edge, run a fingernail across the pad/corn all around the edge of the corn. Does your nail catch anywhere? Work your way around from there, gently lifting so that the corn starts to separate from the normal part of the pad. Apply Bag Balm, working it down into any crevice you opened. Cover w a baggie and vet wrap for 15-30 minutes, then run your nail across it again. If you have one, use a dental tool, or maybe a eyeglass screw driver to lift the corn.

If Sage will tolerate it, gently squeeze the pad to try to draw back the normal tissue and raise the corn. Try the stuff I mentioned above.

I used the corn cream from Murry Avenue Apothecary that 6greyhounds mentioned in one of her threads. It is EXPENSIVE, but I was able to pop Daisy's corn out. I can't say it wouldn't have came out without that cream, though.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Ok, here's a couple pictures. The corn isn't very defined to begin with so really you can't tell very well from the pictures.

( no comments about Sage AND my gross toe nails. lol. Anyone willing to come over here and clip her long quiks and give me a pedi are welcome!)

DSC01004.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

The first pic, it looks like a pinkish smooth spot, which doesn't look like a corn. Wonder if she could have a foreign body in there??

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Jack and I have been fighting his corns since early June. Had them hulled then, and a month later had them hulled AGAIN. He has four corns. I got the Murray Ave. cream, and so far, despite using it regularly, it doesn't seem to be doing much. :(

I am using the rest of the cream, since it was a bit expensive!! but after that I am trying something else....either duct tape or bee propolis.

BTW, the corns are in full force again, and I'm sure the vet will hull them again at his checkup this month.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

The first pic, it looks like a pinkish smooth spot, which doesn't look like a corn. Wonder if she could have a foreign body in there??

She has those pink spots on all her pads, all feet. I think this 'corn' just happens to be in the same spot as one of the pink spots. you really can't see it in the picture, but there is a faint 'circle' (edges) around it, and it's very hard, and when I squeeze the pad she pulls away.. she doesn't do that when I squeeze other pads.

ETA: If you look at the second picture, you can just make out the edges. The edges extend past that pink spot. The 'corn' is much larger than that spot.

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Jack and I have been fighting his corns since early June. Had them hulled then, and a month later had them hulled AGAIN. He has four corns. I got the Murray Ave. cream, and so far, despite using it regularly, it doesn't seem to be doing much. :(

I am using the rest of the cream, since it was a bit expensive!! but after that I am trying something else....either duct tape or bee propolis.

BTW, the corns are in full force again, and I'm sure the vet will hull them again at his checkup this month.

I'm using bee propolis and it's doing a great job at reducing the size of the corn and keeping it at bay. I haven't hulled it in several months. It is there but it doesn't bother him as much. Once our current medical crisis is solved I'll probably hull the corn and keep up the bee propolis. It is the most successful treatment I've used. By coincidence the treatment regimen I use is almost the same as called for by the Murray vet concoction.

I combine it with bag balm at bed time just to soften pads in general. I think hulling is just a fact of corns. There is no magic cure, in my not so humble opinion.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)