Help Post Catration Op Advice Please

Guest Longdog

Hi,

Willie and Whizzy both went back to the greyhound vet yesterday for castration and spaying. Both are ok but Willies "empty sack" looks a little swollen, I am not sure if this is normal as Cush had no swelling at all but he was 12 when he had his op and Willie is only 2. the vet did not give me any meds for Willie only noroclav anti-biotic for Whizzy (her wound also looks a little raw). I have some in date meloxidyl nsaid liquid left over from Cush - does anyone think it would be ok to give some to Willie to be on the safe side? Also would it be safe to give some to Whizzy with her meloxidyl? I will monitor them today and call my own vet tomorrow if they have not improved.

Guest KennelMom

I'm not familiar with that particular med, but we always give anti-inflammatories post-spay. A spay is a pretty major abdominal surgery and I think dogs need some kind of pain relief for the first few days afterwards. We don't usually give it after a routine neuter, though I know folks who do. If the dog is in pain, I'd give pain relief.

Some fluid/swelling in the empty sac is normal. It should go away on it's own.

Thanks, they both had pain relief shots just before we brought them home. The vet didn't think they would need any more. I dont think Willie is in any pain as he has eaten breakfast and managed to get upstairs to sleep it off. Whizzy seems a little more uncomfortable (understandly as a bigger op), she wouldnt have her breakfast but took some titbits of frankfurters by hand. I will see how she is when she attempts a toilet break. Thanks for putting my mind at rest about the swelling, I will still keep a close eye though.

Guest KennelMom

We usually do pain meds for females for 3-4 days post-spay. Some vets don't send them home with anything, but I think they are much more comfortable if you can give them a little something. Good luck with the pups! I'm sure they'll heal up just fine :)

Meloxidyl is the same thing as meloxicam; should be fine to give but make sure there's some food in the tummy (meal or decent snack such as handful of biscuits/frankfurters :) or slice of bread).

As others noted, mild swelling isn't out of the ordinary for the castration but extensive swelling there or any swelling in the spay incision would be cause to call the vet.

My main vet is one who does give pain meds for a few days after the castration as well as after spay.

Hope your puppers both do well!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PhillyPups

DonnieDude was swollen after his neuter, it went down in less than a week. He was groggy when I picked him up and my vet gave me antibiotice and pain meds for him. I gave him one pain pill that night, but I think he would have been fine without it. After that he was fine.

Good job on getting both the spay and neuter. :)

Well after sleeping most of the day, the smell of the bbq was too much and they both came out into the garden for sausages steak and burgers. I know its not good for them but they deserve a special treat. I have cooked up some pasta and they will have a little with tuna and egg for supper.

When we signed the adoption papers we agreed to get them both fixed, there are enough unwanted pups without risking more - especially since they are sister and brother! I didn't know when her season was due because the Portsmouth Greyhound track has closed, we have had them a couple of months now so I thought I had better book them in asap.

The greyhound vet said he would do the ops on a Saturday which meant we could both take them and have the whole weekend to keep an eye on them.

His surgery is a very basic wooden hut in the greyhound stadium and he let us stay in there while he did the ops, I was fine but my other half nearly passed out when he popped out Willies testicles, certainly made his eyes water.

The vets assistant did a dental on each of them too, which is great because their teeth were pretty grotty considering they are only 2. My vet would have insisted on a return visit for a dental and another anaesthetic!

They are both on the sofa now snoozing, so I am logging off now to go and give them mega-hugs.

Thanks for all your help and good wishes guys, much appreciated.:rolleyes:

Glad they're both feeling better. And I hope your other half has recovered from his trauma-by-proxy :lol

Just a note for the future -- Romie's scrotum stayed large for months and months after his surgery, much larger for much longer than my other male dogs. I posted about it and was told this was an okay variation of normal. He still has a little "change purse," over a year afterwards.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter