Ivermectin Vs. Generic Heartguard

phall

I've been reading with interest the latest topics on using ivermectin and pyrantel in place of Heartguard Plus and on using generic heartguard - trying to keep my three hounds on it all year round but trying to cut the cost to make it manageable.

I was torn as to which to try and was leaning toward the ivermectin and pyrantel - I read that the liquid was recommended more than the paste. The down side, it seemed to me, was the measuring of the cc's per pound of weight etc. I saw the topic about generic heartguard through Joes Pet Meds and decided to try that. (It didn't matter to me that the generic heartguard is tablet form not chewable.) The only concern I have is Joes Pet Meds ships from Hong Kong (I have international alert on my credit card - which is how I found that out). I've read that medications from overseas often aren't reliable.

Has anyone used the generic heartguard and purchased it (or other things) from Joes Pet Meds?

Thanks.

Pat

Guest IrskasMom

Pat ,I have not . I have ordered through PetMeds or through DiscountpetDrugs.Everytime I order My Vet calls me and urges me not to order from them , because of out the US Drugs. He will match the Price and to he insists they are Audentical.More on that I don't know and can't help you with that. Hopefully somebody will know more.

Pat, I've had my guys on the generic heartguard, Iverheart, for well over a year. My vet sells it. In fact, I just picked up a 6 month supply from my vet on Friday for $35. I did see it on line for as low as $22 but my vet is very concerned with on-line purchases and I've decided it's not worth the battle. My vet was the one who told me about the generic form and says it's just as good and effective as Heartguard.

Guest KennelMom

I would trust liquid ivermectin purchased in the US from a reputable source a LOT more than a generic HW from a country like Hong Kong (not the same as getting generic heartguard from your vet).

We worm our dogs, maybe once or twice a year. We don't go to dog parks so their exposure to those sorts of areas is limited. Even here in the south where the worms looooooove to live year round, we just don't have a lot of worm issues with our crew.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest greytloves

I also have been using Tri Heart Plus for well over a yet purchasing from my vet.

I see no reason not to. I would not buy anything like that online or from overseas. Way too much risk.

Edited by greytloves

The only concern I have is Joes Pet Meds ships from Hong Kong (I have international alert on my credit card - which is how I found that out). I've read that medications from overseas often aren't reliable.

My order from Joe's came from AU, complete with customs papers. I am still wondering why yours came from Hong Kong. That said, I might probably go back to using PetsMegastore in AU which I have used for years. I have no problem with things from AU and Canada.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and advice. Since I've already placed the order with Joes Pet Meds, I'll see what it looks like when it arrives and confirm where it shipped out of. In the meantime, I'll check on Iverheart and Tri-Heart. If I choose to disgard the generic from Joes Pet Meds I'll just consider it a learning experience.

Pat