Is There Anyone Knowledgable With Greys Health

Guest argolola

I made the mistake of switching Robin's food for two meals when I was visiting family and ran out of his food. ONLY two meals. He was sick for three days and had bloody diarrhea. So your canned food switch could very easily be the culprit. Although the vet gave us some flagyl (antibiotics) to speed up recovery, I asked him if it would have cleared up on its own, and he said that it would have.

Hope he feels better soon!

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest argolola

Thank you all so much. He seems better but we did come home to a mixed blend of semi solid and looser poo in the same room that was still stinky from the day before.

I am still feeding him small portions of boiled beef and rice. I have been using a baby wipe on his booty when he comes in from the restroom outside. Yesterday there was a little bit of red blood, but the poo was normal looking color. Hopefully it's from going more than usual. Could I rub some Prep H on his rear? Or is that a no-no for dogs?

Thank you everyone so much!

Edited by argolola

You could probably use that but baby wipes with aloe might feel good and clean him at the same time. One thing show people used to do is give a little mashed potatoes for diarrhea. A tiny bit of cooked Cream of Rice works wonderfully sometimes.

Guest argolola

BAck from the E-vet. It's pancreatitis. I tried to do his sub-q fluids and the needle won't stay in. I am freaking out, but soooooooooooo tired. I have to get up for work in 5 hours.

Guest BorzoiMom

You may need help to hold the dog and the needle to have it stay in. Then you have to squeeze the life out of the bag for the sub q fluids. Do it over the shoulder blades so he gets a hump back the size of a soft ball then you redirect (remove the needle, hold the hole shut and redo in another spot). I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

OMG Been there with Poodle and his pancreatitis -- but the vet did the multiple sub Qs and I picked him up with a big old fluid lump once just to get him back home. They thought I could handle it.

I wouldn't use preperation H.

If his glucose levels are fine you might do to a high protien food like EVO. With Poodle his pancreatic problem was so bad it damaged his pancreas and he is now diabetic. That is a whole 'nother ball game we are working through.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest argolola

I asked if I could bring him in and let them start the fluids (that I got last night) and I could just sit with him. They said it would be $100. I just don't get it. (and I just don't have it.)

Thank you everyone!

Guest argolola

Good news. My wonderful co-worker is coming over after work to instruct me on the proper way to do fluids and insert the needle for me and get him started. She used to work in a vets office. Isn't that a blessing!

We start the Panacur today. The big D is better and I hope the Panacur doesn't start it up again.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Oh that's wonderful!!! I was so worried about him. I gave my puppies panacur last night and everyone is doing well. They've been on metronidazole for a week though as they had coccidia.

:( about the $100. I'd be vet shopping.

When Poo was sick they charged me $28 per bag of fluid -- no office call after the initial one. They don't charge an office call for his ongoing glucose testing either -- it's $18 and if I go in armed with sopapilla cheesecake bars or the like (I never ever go in without treats for them) sometimes that is free. I have the best vet in the world.

Glad your friend can help. I have a hard enough time giving him his shots, I seriously couldn't do sub Q.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest PhillyPups

How is Rudy holding up? Poor boy, he must feel awful. Pancreatitis and worms. UGH!!

Can you make a big batch of home-made and store it in baggies (single servings) in your freezer and instruct DH how to microwave them just in case you get sick again so Rudy does not ever have to have a repeat of this incident?

I asked if I could bring him in and let them start the fluids (that I got last night) and I could just sit with him. They said it would be $100. I just don't get it. (and I just don't have it.)

Thank you everyone!

This may well have been a mistaken answer on the part of whoever answered the phone. I'd have to hear the vet say it before I believed that!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest argolola

Thank you all for the great ideas. This was all the e-vet. He gave us a great deal on everything last night, because we are broke and Rudy donated blood to a dog that had been hit by a car. Our regular vet is in Jacksonville, but the office was closed after hours and Rudy gets real nervous riding that far unless Lola is with him. I did sub-q on Lola with no problems at all. I give myself a shot every Friday night, so I am not squeamish about that. His skin is so tight to his body, and always has been. I came home early to check on him and he's really wanting out of the cage badly. He looks like he feels better and DH said his little booty was clean when he went out at lunch. My fear is that the Panacur will kick the diarrhea back in high gear, and he has done so well today. We went through this with Lola last December and it was different as night and day. Thank you again GT family. You are great!!!

p.s. E-vet felt he needed to charge us today because he gave us such a deal last night. Great people but I just don't have it. We are trying to support DH's daughter (who lost her job) and grandson who is still in the NICU.

Edited by argolola

Wow. Just seeing this. You guys are in such a tough spot. Can your vet let you pay in time, considering your dogs are blood donors? (Mine does this, and gives me a discount, too.) If it hasn't occurred to him, maybe you can suggest it, anyway.

Gentle hugs. Hang in there!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.