Is There Anyone Knowledgable With Greys Health

Guest argolola

Guest argolola

Rudy looks like he has pooed rust colored liquid (blood?) we have spent every cent on helping CHuck's daughter and grandson in the NICU. I really need to talk to someone. Evet is not an option. they will not see you without #1,000 minimun. thanks.

Edited by argolola

He could have something as simple as a virus or it could be a case of HGE which is dangerous. Make sure he's staying hydrated, withhold food for a few hours and then start him on something like boiled chicken and rice. If he continues to poop bloody big D, you may have to take him in to a vet somewhere. They may have to start him on IV fluids and antibiotics.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I can't help you with a number, but good luck! Sounds like he'll need to be seen ASAP, but if he's still bright and perky, he'll probably be OK till the vet opens. if he goes rapidly downhill though, you may need to bankrupt yourself. :(

Meanwhile, stop any food, and make water available - Pedialyte or home-made electrolyte replacer would be better. And watch him very carefully.

:goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Echoing the above :nod Another thing that it could be is hookworms, although usually you'll have some vomiting with that too (HGE presents with vomiting in addition to diarrhea a lot as well - bloody vomit and bloody diarrhea).

Light bland foods or just go with a liquid diet for now :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest argolola

He just had his yearly checkup and tests. I just found the lady's phone number that helped with Lola. She was so kind. Thank you all.

The general thought is that he has been eating canned food for almost a week, due to the fact that I have been sick and not making their homemade food.

Guest Energy11

Liquidy bloody diarrhea is a veterinary matter. I do understand your situation, though.

I'd be SURE this boy is getting PLENTY of fluids, and you can mix Gatorade in water 50/50 to help hydrate. I'd start a bland diet of chicken and boiled white rice ASAP, and add some PLAIN unflavored yogurt as well. Because you dont' know what the cause is, and you want to prevent dehydration, you CAN give (1) Immodium AD or it's generic, every eight to twelve hours for the diarrhea.

I hope everything turns out OK! Sending you good luck, hugs and prayers!

Guest argolola

Thank you so much. He drank some pedialite, and now i will mix with water. i just got back from the store with super lean ground beef, rice, yogurt and vanilla Ensure. I appreciate everything. Will look for some immodium in the medicine cabinet.

Go light on the Ensure at first...only half a bottle or so a day. I have found if I give Sutra more than a whole bottle in a day it will actually CAUSE diarrhea for him.

Hope he's feeling better soon :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest IHeartDogs

p.s. would sucralfate 1 gram be good to give him until I hear from his vet?

Might be too late for the answer, but yes, sucralfate is very good to give for dogs with upset tummies and diarrhea. It coats the stomach, so must be given on an empty stomach (2-3 hours after eating) and wait 1 hour before feeding/giving other meds. Sucralfate also has to make it to the tummy, so squirt some water down the throat to ensure it gets there.

It can be given every 8 hours.

Hope he feels better soon.

Edited by IHeartDogs

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Do you have some metronidazole?? You can get it off Amazon for very cheap. I always keep some on hand.

If he starts vomiting, and especially if it is bloody, you have to go in, even if you don't tell them you can't pay, and figure something out in the morning. Maybe the adoption group would even loan you some money, or perhaps we could call the vet and make donations towards your account. I certainly would be happy to do so.

You've got some good advice Lene, and he seems to be drinking which is what you want.

Wish I could help more, but I will keep him in my prayers.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest TexasGreytMom

I'm so sorry you and your pup are experiencing this! How are you both doing? I just wanted to mention that our girl was at the vet today and one of the side effects the vet mentioned of a reaction to her arthritis med is a stomach ulcer which the vet said we would detect by the presence of bloody diarrhea. I wasn't sure if your pup was on any meds. Sending good thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Edited by TexasGreytMom

How's he doing this morning, Lene? If he's seeming pretty much like himself, could just be the canned food slides thru his system too quickly. That's happened to one of mine under similar circumstances -- no distress, no illness, but really unappealing output.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest argolola

He had a really good night. This is my second night with the CPAP. I could barely see him because the mask is almost to my eyeballs, but I kept a flashlight right beside me and kept checking on him (his cage is 2 feet or less from me.) We had to put him in his cage, and he loves his cage, but we had to latch it so he wouldn't poo all over the house. (I have RA-auto immune disorder and not supposed to be exposed to germs...yeah right.) Anyway, he drank his water, a spoonful of yogurt with an immodium pill we found in the cabinet. I also gave him Ensure diluted with water. He went out twice since last night, still running and smiling. It was semi dark but I tried watching him with binoculars. It was just a few squirts. I will do a poo exam in the yard when it gets daylight. Then he got a spoonful of his homemade food this morning. Both pups are used to eating my homemade food, since last December, so i really feel that it was the canned food his dad was feeding him when i was sick. He got a great checkup in July and his doctor was pleased with how far he has come since we adopted him. I wonder if he has an ulcer? Do greys get ulcers from nervousness/upset. Anyone besides Chuck or myself scares him so. He is our special little boy that I love more than words can say. Thank you everyone!!!

He had a really good night. This is my second night with the CPAP. I could barely see him because the mask is almost to my eyeballs, but I kept a flashlight right beside me and kept checking on him (his cage is 2 feet or less from me.) We had to put him in his cage, and he loves his cage, but we had to latch it so he wouldn't poo all over the house. (I have RA-auto immune disorder and not supposed to be exposed to germs...yeah right.) Anyway, he drank his water, a spoonful of yogurt with an immodium pill we found in the cabinet. I also gave him Ensure diluted with water. He went out twice since last night, still running and smiling. It was semi dark but I tried watching him with binoculars. It was just a few squirts. I will do a poo exam in the yard when it gets daylight. Then he got a spoonful of his homemade food this morning. Both pups are used to eating my homemade food, since last December, so i really feel that it was the canned food his dad was feeding him when i was sick. He got a great checkup in July and his doctor was pleased with how far he has come since we adopted him. I wonder if he has an ulcer? Do greys get ulcers from nervousness/upset. Anyone besides Chuck or myself scares him so. He is our special little boy that I love more than words can say. Thank you everyone!!!

Welcome to the world of CPAP! It made a big difference for me. Anyway, since he's the nervous type, anything can set him off, especially if you're worried or ill (and you are). And who knows? He may think Darth Vader is sleeping in the bed next to him. Seriously though, it may well be the canned food if he's not used to it, plus the stress sickness in your life. If it gets bloody poop, metronidazole should help. If he's vomiting blood, take him to the vet ASAP.

If you want to talk CPAP, PM me!

Vinnie crapped like that wehn I tried to feed him Nutro dog food. He couldn't tolerate it at all.

I do believe Chase has pooped like that when his gut was off. In both cases, it passed when on their regular food.

When we see blood/ bloody mucusosy stools, we go in, but not for orange poo.

Hope it all passes, Lene. :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.