Any Ideas?

kolarik1

So I noticed a reddish, raised area on Adora's belly tonight around 10:30 pm....I am thinking maybe an allergic reaction or a bite from some type of insect or something like that? I checked it over and see no cuts, nor do I see a 'sting' area. I know something was flying around her about 5 hours earlier when we were talking to a lady down the street because she tried to grab it with her mouth, but it was flying around on her other side. I never did see the bug but the lady said there was one bothering her. So...should I try to ice it? Giver her Benadryl or just wait and see if it goes down? See the pics below, it is the reddish area on her chest/upper stomach area.

P9100010.jpg

In this picture, toward the bottom of the pic, just off center to the right is the reddish area.

P9100011.jpg

Almost exactly dead center of this pic...she was a little worried about what I was doing to her with that freaky camera, but she was a good girl. She shows absolutely no reaction when I touch/move the area that is raised. It is approx. 1 1/2" x 3" max size.

Any ideas would be helpful!!! We do have our annual picnic tomorrow, so if it is still there I will have PLENTY of people to ask, I've just never seen this before. I have seen little fly bite marks on Zelda, but this is definitely different....now if only Adora would quit trying to steal everything!

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Not really sure I have any advice.. is it itchy? If it seems to be itchy for her, I'd probably give a benadryl, but if she doesn't even know it's there, I wouldn't bother. It couldn't hurt to clean it up.

Totally unrelated... but all the blackish-blue on her belly.. is that a major crop of blackheads?! :blink: OMG, I'd be all over that. :lol

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

It really looks like to me that she has some infected black heads.

I normally use a warm compress.

If you think it's a bite you can always use the Benadryl or some ice to reduce the swelling. Sure can't hurt.

Is it pus+y (didn't want to try and type that out. would just look wrong) and draining?

Guest Lovey_Hounds

It really looks like infected black heads, i would use a warm compress to help open the pores and lightly squeeze what ever is on them out i would also start working on the other ones around them because they look pretty bad. black heads can be pretty uncomfortable, Vegas used to have a lot of them and they used to get pretty sore so i worked on getting rid of them and at first he didnt like it and now he understands that he feels better after so he lets me do what i need to.

My vote is for infected blackhead(s) My Madison gets them on a regular basis and they look exactly the same as your pictures. Warm compresses and the vet did give us some cream (Animax) to use when they get large. The cream is more for Madison's comfort vs. therapeutic.

Edited by LuvEarsies

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

Guest FullMetalFrank

Another vote for infected blackheads. If you do opt to use the warm compresses and express them, make sure to clean the area with an antiseptic and make sure your hands are nice and clean to avoid spreading any bacteria.

Yes she does have blackheads, so I will try the warm compress. That's if I can get her to lay still! I don't have any antiseptic, just hydrogen peroxide...so I will have to get some of that today while I am out and about. I also have a pamphlet that says raw virgin coconut oil or witch hazel can be rubbed gently there...but once infected needs antibiotics!!! She also has a bald butt...and a helicopter tail that I'm trying to make sure she doesn't end up with happy tail....

You don't actually have to squeeze the blackheads -- daily warm compress (couple minutes if possible) followed by firm wipe with a washcloth dampened in Nolvasan or chlorhexidine solution will get rid of them over time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

More then likely not. They should clear up once they kinda bust open and drain.

Just clean her belly maybe 2 times a day and it should be fine.

But with the crop of black heads she has, don't be surprised if you see things like this come up again.

Just think of them the same way as zits when you were a teenager :) They get nasty, pop open, drain and heal up. Gross I know but best way to describe what is going on.

Well, I did the warm compress twice a day over the weekend...I only have time in the evenings during the week...BUT good news!!! It is now down to about the size of a nickel! I am so excited as I did take her into the vet yesterday & his first thought was something very scary! He gave me a cream to put on it that has antibiotics in it. Before that, I was using an actual acne kit to clean her chest and butt (yes, her butt has blackheads as well). Now with the cream I clean her butt and chest after the warm compress (which she does awesome with), then put the cream on. I'm also going to start putting some neosporin on there before the medicated cream to help make sure everything is nice and clean. I did pop a couple of blackheads on her butt....GROSS!!!!! So we will see if it keeps going down like it is.

Guest greytloves

Good Golly. Does anyone know why she has so many and so consistent? I know we may get one in from the farms like that and clear them up and they go away, but why the consistency and severity?

Just wondering on some theories.

I would check that acne cream and make sure it is OK for her to ingest as you know she will lick some of it!

Good Golly. Does anyone know why she has so many and so consistent? I know we may get one in from the farms like that and clear them up and they go away, but why the consistency and severity?

Just wondering on some theories.

I would check that acne cream and make sure it is OK for her to ingest as you know she will lick some of it!

I haven't used it since yesterday...BUT...surprisingly, she doesn't lick the areas I treat. If she does, it's in the middle of the night when I'm dead asleep. She is a very good girl (so far) about not licking the treated areas...I also have a Kan Sel muzzle that I can use if I do ever catch her licking.

Does anyone know if Neosporin is bad for them? I don't see why it would be, but you just never know...I actually got the knock off brand as you got more for the $$.

Guest greytloves

I don't think any antibotic ointment would be bad if ingested.

I'm just not sure about the acne cream. Have you tried Tea Tree Oil instead? Although, I'm not sure that is OK to digest. Would have to research that a little bit more.

Steak has a crop of blackheads like that on his belly. He has been here a year now and they are better but still a large area of them. It doesn't really bother me or him. It's like people I think, some have more acne than others. No biggie.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Steak has a crop of blackheads like that on his belly. He has been here a year now and they are better but still a large area of them. It doesn't really bother me or him. It's like people I think, some have more acne than others. No biggie.

Well, until Friday night I was hoping they'd go down by themselves...that was until that huge area showed up. Now I'm making sure to do the warm compresses, clean the area and then put on the cream from the vet. I will put in the antibiotic cream as well to help get rid of any infection. I'm not using the acne cream now that I have the other cream.

Oh definitely, I would treat the infected area too. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest ChasesMum

:blink: OMG, I'd be all over that. :lol

:nod omg I am getting itchy pickin fingers just looking at that.

there has been some discussion about using Biore blackhead strips, though not sure if that's a good idea, and definitley not on infected areas.

Edited by ChasesMum

Don't get me wrong, on myself, I have no problem picking at the pimples/blackheads...but on anyone else my stomach turns over just thinking of it! I did manage to pop a few yesterday without getting queasy, so I am going to keep the warm compresses going for now in the evening and keep cleaning the areas twice daily and applying the cream. If I get some spare time, I may go and pick some of them!

ETA, neither of my 2 pups have them so I have been lucky so far! Adora came with the blackheads, she has only been in foster care for just over 3 weeks (since I got her on Aug. 22).

Edited by kolarik1

:blink: OMG, I'd be all over that. :lol

:nod omg I am getting itchy pickin fingers just looking at that.

there has been some discussion about using Biore blackhead strips, though not sure if that's a good idea, and definitley not on infected areas.

I wouldn't use the Biore strips. I've used them on my nose and once they dry, they're a bit painful to peel off! I think it would hurt them and make the area worse to rip that off their tender belly skin.

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars