He's Marking Out Of The Blue. Help?

Guest Draco

Hi Everyone. I'm new here and I have a problem with our greyhound that just popped up out of the blue. Here's a little background if you need it. He's 3 years old, very playful and social, a bit hyper when people come into the house (including just us when we come home from being out) but friendly and nice. We have twins almost 6 years old, a 2 year old and 2 cats and he's great with all of them. We've had him for 6 months. He is really good about going outside and only had one accident when we first got him, but that was because we weren't fast enough getting the door open.

Now just in the last few days he has marked his territory in our house twice! Once was on a play house tent our kids play with (about 1/2 the size of a small pup-tent) and once on a stack of cases of canned goods. We were home with him in both cases, just not in the same room with him. (We actually keep him in his kennel when we're out.)

Any advice? Why would he start marking all of a sudden? We haven't changed our daily life or routines any. How can we stop this in it's tracks before it becomes a habit? It's driving us crazy.

Thanks,

Rebecca in UT

If he's never been a marker before, I'd have your vet check him for a UTI. You can take in a urine sample and have it checked. If you find out that he doesn't have anything going on physically, make sure when you let him out that he completely empties his bladder. Sometimes they will run out and eliminate just enough for them to feel comfortable and then come back in and a little while later go again.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest gecko_foot

Hi Everyone. I'm new here and I have a problem with our greyhound that just popped up out of the blue. Here's a little background if you need it. He's 3 years old, very playful and social, a bit hyper when people come into the house (including just us when we come home from being out) but friendly and nice. We have twins almost 6 years old, a 2 year old and 2 cats and he's great with all of them. We've had him for 6 months. He is really good about going outside and only had one accident when we first got him, but that was because we weren't fast enough getting the door open.

Now just in the last few days he has marked his territory in our house twice! Once was on a play house tent our kids play with (about 1/2 the size of a small pup-tent) and once on a stack of cases of canned goods. We were home with him in both cases, just not in the same room with him. (We actually keep him in his kennel when we're out.)

Any advice? Why would he start marking all of a sudden? We haven't changed our daily life or routines any. How can we stop this in it's tracks before it becomes a habit? It's driving us crazy.

Thanks,

Rebecca in UT

I second the vet check. My grey started having accidents in the house yesterday morning out of the blue, and when I took a urine sample in, the vets confirmed it was a urinary tract infection (UTI). The only symptoms he had were subtle abnormal urine odor and having accidents indoors. Otherwise, he's the same happy boy that he's always been.

Oh wow. We'll have to try that right away. So how do you get a urine sample, just stand next to him with a cup? (I know, dumb question and seems logical, but you never know if there is a better way.)

Yep, stand next to him with a cup! Actually, I would check with your vet to see if they have any preferences. Some vets only want the "first pee of the morning" and some only want to take a sterile sample. Also, if you can't take it to the vet right away, put it in the fridge.

Another thought... if the urine comes back clean, how long has he been in your house?

If it's been somewhere around six months to a year, he's likely feeling more comfortable, and that is being manifested in his marking.

When it comes to marking, I disagree that a dog needs to be caught in the act. If the urine is on a vertical surface, you can be sure the dog put it there on purpose. And he knows it. There is nothing wrong with taking him to the scene of the crime and letting him know you are displeased. No yelling is needed, just the Voice Of God. ONLY do it if you KNOW it's marking. In any other case, it's confusing, and potentially harmful, in the case of a dog who has a UTI.

But, as has already been said, clear medical reasons first. It is very possible that is the reason.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.