Female Marking

Guest Travelover

Guest Travelover

My girl is 4 years old and I've had her about a year. She has been spayed, but due to an error they left a sliver of ovary and she still goes into heat. I posted a separate thread about this a while back.

My question is how much marking behavior is normal and how much is due to her still being hormonally intact?

She never, ever pees inside, but on a walk she has to pee at the entry of every driveway or any other place that she smells signs of a dog. When she is in heat, this is even more intense.

Thanks in advance for your observations.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have two females. They are both markers. They do the same as yours (mark at each driveway- if I allow them to). In fact its so bad that one female Jesse will always mark over Olive. So in the yard, Olive will pee, and Jesse will actually stand behind her waiting for her to finish, then cover Olive's spot. You should see it now that we have a male foster that likes to mark the yard. Its a train of >foster >Olive >Jesse >Bart. Nobody marks over Bart...

I would say some girls just are markers. I love walking with my girl and Pepperjack's Zuni because it's the most obvious pissin' contest between girls I've ever seen. I can see them saying "oh yeah, I can go higher, see?" These two girls on a 2 mile walk can probably pee what 10 times or so? And this is not just walking together this is walking alone too.

That said I do pay careful attention because I always worry she's got a UTI. If she squats and nothing comes out a sample goes to a vet.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I have two females. They are both markers. They do the same as yours (mark at each driveway- if I allow them to). In fact its so bad that one female Jesse will always mark over Olive. So in the yard, Olive will pee, and Jesse will actually stand behind her waiting for her to finish, then cover Olive's spot. You should see it now that we have a male foster that likes to mark the yard. Its a train of >foster >Olive >Jesse >Bart. Nobody marks over Bart...

My female is the exact same way. Never had problems with the four males I have had, but my females - they are worse than the males in every way. :blush

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I've had one female (non-grey) in my life that marked worse than any of the males. Every yard, begining & end of each block,

before & after each driveway, etc.etc.etc. By the time we got back to the house, she was dry as a bone. I also worried about

a UTI, but she was good as gold in the house, even for 9 hours while I was gone at work.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest Swifthounds

Dogs mark to show that they've been somewhere. Dogs will mark anytime you let them, especially if you encourage the behavior, which many greyhound owners do unwittingly. Some of it has to do with the "dogs will be dogs" philosophy. It's also easier to tolerate when you have a small number of hounds (ie 1-3) than if you have a larger pack.

The urge for an intact female to mark will be greater when she is in heat, but when not in heat, she has no greater need/desire to mark than a spayed female or a neutered male.

My first grey, Eve, was a big marker. Then when a male grey joined our family, Eve's marking immediately decreased. I think they divided up the over-peeing duties. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter