Nail Pulled Out From Nail Bed.

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Last night I noticed dried blood on the porch. Quick inspection of everyone's paws, and I found the culprit: Travel either broke a nail at the nailbed, or it is starting to pull loose.

I checked all her other nails, and they look great. I read up on SLO, but it looks to me like all other nails are ok. So, she must have caught it on something.

I assume the vet will remove it? Could I be looking at surgery? Or, is this something that can be done with a local?

This SUCKS!

She did it last night, so I wrapped it up. When I changed the bandage, it had lots of dried blood, but no discoloration or smell. Whew. I wrapped it up again, and poor little T is not amused with me.

I am calling the vet first thing this morning. What a MESS!

Turbo shucked a nail on the patio pavers once. He did not need a vet visit because there really wasn't anything to be done. I just stopped the bleeding and kept it clean, though I did put a call in to the vet to make sure I was on the right track. After a while, a new nail grew back in, but the funny thing is that it grew back a little crooked and hollow- there's no quick on that nail!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest Shermanator

No, she did not pull it completely out, but I think I can see a tear at the nailbed where the toenail is. So, I would assume it needs to be removed? I'm also concerned about infection.

Guest Energy11

Poor Baby Girl!

Our Staggerlee has done this before. His nail came completely out on it's own.

Here is a bit of information from my first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds. Hope it helps!

Torn Pads; Pulled Nails, Corns, and other foot injuries:

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound.*You can stop bleeding from pulled toe nails with Quik Stop. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury. For small objects stuck in the pad like glass, and other debris, soaking in Epsom Salts helps greatly, and sometimes, the objects will come out on their own.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!