Nipping While Running And Playing

Guest greyt_learner

Guest greyt_learner

When we got our first two hounds they got along well, but didn't play much together and there never seemed to be a need to muzzle or watch too carefully. We lost our boy a little while ago, and got a new girl as a companion for Ariel. These two do play together, and Ariel like to nip when they run together - or when the play gets too excitable. They have access to the house and yard all the time (except at night). Should I muzzle them when I'm not home? I know I should when they run in the yard, but it's hard when they can head out there anytime they like - do I need to restrict access to the yard too? I usually have one or two days a week when they are alone for 8 - 9 hours, so I worry about keeping them in the house for that length of time. Also, I need to get Ariel used to the muzzle that she's never worn before.

Sorry for the ramble, but I'm worried about keeping them muzzled all the time, but don't know how to change the behavior in Ariel - it happens so fast. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I would muzzle while in the house when you're away. When you're home they don't need to wear them because if anything does start you're there to stop it. In my opinion it's important especially if you have a nipper because it only takes one hard nip to set the other dog off and you have a fight on your hands. I would also muzzle when they go out to do their business and start playing. All of mine are muzzled if I leave the house, with the exception of 6 who are crated and they all wear muzzles when they are outside. The rest of the time they are unmuzzled. Ariel will get used to a muzzle again, most do.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

So Ariel never trained to be a racer or anything along those lines? The reason I ask is because if she was trained as a racer, she is used to wearing a muzzle. She may act like it is the end of the world, but its not. I would probably muzzle them while you are not home when they have access to the yard, and I would not restrict their access to the yard. Muzzles are safety equipment, not mean. If she is that bad about the muzzle, you can try putting some peanut butter in the muzzle when you put it on her so she sees the muzzle as the magic food machine.

Guest greyt_learner

Ariel did train as a racer, but she's not worn a muzzle in the 4 years that we've had her. I will put it on her while I'm here for a little while at a time until she gets used to it again. Is it safe to leave them muzzled while we're not here - can the muzzles get caught on things and cause them harm?

So far, there has not been a bad response - the problem is when Ariel nips while in full run - we've already had to have a tear stitched up, and it happens in a flash, before you can intervene, so I guess they will have to be muzzled while they're outside.

I know that she'll get used to it again.

Thanks for replying.

I've never had a muzzle get caught on anything. I would think if it did, it would slip off her head easily. If she trained as a racer, she knows what a muzzle is and should respond pretty well. She may not be happy at first but should adjust pretty quickly to wearing it again. You are right about the nipping causing damage before you can intervene.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I have a foster who had to have 4 stitches last week because the buckle on the muzzle of another foster caused a tear in her side while they were running. So now I take a soft hair roller and put it on the buckle and tape it.

I have a foster who had to have 4 stitches last week because the buckle on the muzzle of another foster caused a tear in her side while they were running. So now I take a soft hair roller and put it on the buckle and tape it.

Edited by dmona

Muzzles are much safer than leaving them alone without them. If they are typical open basket muzzles, both dogs should be very familiar with them. They can drink and pant, and even have treats through them, so there isn't a problem leaving them on while you're gone.

As to the larger issue, you can try and correct this behavior, but I don't think I've ever heard of enyone successfully doing it. It's her instinctive reaction to play behavior. Some greys do it more than others. I don't muzzle mine in the house or when we leave, but we are muzzled in the yard due to the same issue.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom