Tooth Extraction Experiences Please

Guest NeroAmber

Guest NeroAmber

Hello all- I was wondering, please, if anyone could share their dental/extraction stories with me- Nero has to have some out, and I would like to be more prepared than I am at the moment. I asked my vet if they are used to greyhounds, and they have quite a large number under their care- I asked about the anaesthetic and the nurse was very helpful and knew all the risks.

I'm just a little worried- you can never be too sure even with the best vet about anaesthetic because things happen even with the best care- and I'm wondering how other dogs do with multiple extractions- do they get used to it quickly, do they dribble any more than usual? And I guess I can expect more ETS? :blush

I'm a little concerned about the cost as well- as insurance won't cover it- I'm in the uk, but any idea of a ballpark figure would be helpful as I'll have to borrow some money, I expect.

The only other thing is that despite the teeth being better than they have been as I've been using raw bones, plaque-off and brushing his teeth- the gums have remainsed very red before and since I adopted him- the vets have commented on this, but not given me a reason. He was on antibiotics for it, and I changed his bowls around in case it was a metal allergy- but no change. Has anyone come accross this before?

Sorry for all the questions- thanks for reading- any input is really really appreciated, thank you!

Scoop-dog had 8 extractions about 2 months ago. He was back to his normal temperament within 2 to 3 days! A real trouper!

However, those 2 to 3 days were...interesting :-)

He was very much out of it when we picked him up from the vet. So much so that I rode with him in the back of the van and supported his head so he wouldn't bang it on the door.

Have an ample supply of old towels, both on the ride home and for the first few days, as there will be some (a lot of) blood filled drooling.

We were given a 10 day supply of pain killers, but he was only on them about 3 or 4 days. They made him extremely loopy. He also had antibiotics, which we (of course) finished.

His diet was wetted kibble, shredded/mashed chicken and mashed white rice for about a week to 10 days...gradually reducing the rice and increasing the kibble. Oh, and a spoon or 2 of wet food thrown in, too.

Now he's back to eating normally, if not even better, now that the pain from the gum disease and rotted teeth is gone.

Through the whole thing I was more of a wreck than him.

The total bill, with anesthesia, 8 extractions, etc. was about $650.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Guest NeroAmber

Thank you so much for sharing- I wouldn't have known to have towels ready! Nero's already quite a dribbler so that's invaluable info, thanks :colgate The price surprised me- I was exoecting much higher numbers than that!

Glad your Scoop-dog is feeling better! :)

Scoop-dog had 8 extractions about 2 months ago. He was back to his normal temperament within 2 to 3 days! A real trouper!

However, those 2 to 3 days were...interesting :-)

He was very much out of it when we picked him up from the vet. So much so that I rode with him in the back of the van and supported his head so he wouldn't bang it on the door.

Have an ample supply of old towels, both on the ride home and for the first few days, as there will be some (a lot of) blood filled drooling.

We were given a 10 day supply of pain killers, but he was only on them about 3 or 4 days. They made him extremely loopy. He also had antibiotics, which we (of course) finished.

His diet was wetted kibble, shredded/mashed chicken and mashed white rice for about a week to 10 days...gradually reducing the rice and increasing the kibble. Oh, and a spoon or 2 of wet food thrown in, too.

Now he's back to eating normally, if not even better, now that the pain from the gum disease and rotted teeth is gone.

Through the whole thing I was more of a wreck than him.

The total bill, with anesthesia, 8 extractions, etc. was about $650.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Pretty much same experience here. One of my pups lost 18 teeth within the first year I adopted him. Lots of towels and 2 weeks of soft food. I blended kibble with water. He got up in the middle of the first night whinning. I thought he was in pain but turned out, he was STARVING! A little food and back to bed for the night. I'm in Boston MA and the cost was over $1,000.

My new guy broke a bottom canine. His dental to remove this tooth and one other was about the same cost but I used a dentist because my regular vet is uncomfortable taking out canines. He had an interesting reaction to one of the pain meds and for the first couple hours after he came home, he would periodically sit up and SCREAM! Of course, as soon as I decided to call the vet, all the screaming stopped and he slept soundly. He also had a fat lip for a couple days. Again, blended kibble for two weeks.

My senior just had two front teeth removed due to a benign epulis in the roof of his mouth. He also had other surgery at the same time for a torn salivary gland so the dental procedure was the least of his issues but it did take me about a week to get him eating well again.

You may want to ask your vet if he takes x-rays. My regular vet does not and with my guy who lost 18 teeth, I wish he had. Likely he would have lost all his teeth but my guess is that his health would have been better. Better a healthy pup with no teeth then an unhealthy pup with some teeth.

Good luck with your pup! Keep us updated.

Gee is 11 1/2 and just lost 9 teeth about 3 weeks ago. She did amazingly well. She came home from the vet wanting to eat! I was only allowed to give her about 1/4 of her dinner the first night but the next morning she ate a full breakfast. She had a little bit of bloody drool the first night but nothing like that since and she is now back on her full kibble and believe it or not is eating cookies and she has no top molars!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Has Nero ever had his teeth cleaned, you know , like we humans do when the dental hygienist gets up under the gum line and scrubs, scales and polishes? Perhaps he has a persistent infection under the gum line, in human terms periodontal disease or gingivitis and needs to have his teeth cleaned fairly often.

Gracie builds tarter quickly and has to have hers cleaned every 6 months, Carl can go for a year ... me,every three months! :lol

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Echo had an abcessed canine and the tooth next to it removed. She had a really rough night and the swelling was pretty severe on her. She had a big pouch at her neck for several days that took weeks to completely go away. It took her a while to get back to normal but eventually she did. Because of her, I fight dentals for all my guys every time my vet recommends one.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Had a couple seniors lately that came to me with hideous teeth... they had no problems at all and were normal that same day, honestly. Both had many teeth removed (one had almost all hers pulled).

Guest NeroAmber

Has Nero ever had his teeth cleaned, you know , like we humans do when the dental hygienist gets up under the gum line and scrubs, scales and polishes? Perhaps he has a persistent infection under the gum line, in human terms periodontal disease or gingivitis and needs to have his teeth cleaned fairly often.

Gracie builds tarter quickly and has to have hers cleaned every 6 months, Carl can go for a year ... me,every three months! :lol

Yes, thanks for asking, he had a dental one week after we got him- but it was pre-arranged and paid for by the rescue group so I just dropped him off and picked him up without knowing much about it all- he was tottery for the evening but fine after that, I am expecting multiple extractions to be different though, and I want to be more prepared which is why I asked people here :)

It's odd- his teeth look clean, apart from the top of his back molars and the fact that his smaller teeth are discoloured. But there's a stubborn pit of rot in his top back molars as well as gum retraction and then the red gums as well. I'm hoping they'll address the gums while they do the teeth :( Or surely it'll just come back?

Thank you to everyone again for sharing, this is really helping me :colgate