Prayers For Trixie, Please

Guest BlueCrab

Guest BlueCrab

Trixie is still limping on her right front, despite on-going treatment for her corns including hulling, dremmeling and daily soaking and ointment. Her left corn looks much worse than her right, but it's the right leg she's limping on. The Thera-Paws seems to help some, but I'm worried, so today she goes in for an x-ray.

Prayers, please. I'm definitely the worried mummy. :(

Talk to your vet about a nerve block for the offending corn toe. Another GTer spent loads of time and money searching for a more serious medical problem for her limping pup until Dr. Radcliffe, the awesome track vet out in Wheeling suggested she nerve block the toe to see if the pain went away (and it did). It doesn't last long, but it will at least give you a definitive answer about whether there is still pain from the corns. This is assuming the x-rays are clean, which they will be. :nod

:goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Checking for updates. Hoping for good news!

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest BlueCrab

Thanks all for the kind thoughts. Not sure how to amend the original post to note an update appears here.

X-rays were clear, although there are some indications of arthritic-like changes in some of her toes. The vet didn't get up as high as the scapular region but they got the long bones in the leg, feet and toes, and deemed them to be clean.

Limp is really bad, to the point where Trixie holds up her foot when she's standing still. Vet did a thorough manipulation of both front legs, neck, shoulders, toes. Vet now thinks there may be a foreign body in the pad in the location of the corn, so they want to laser open her pad (under anesthesia) and take a look. We have to travel on the 18th to Wisconsin for DH to compete in our racing national championships for a week - with the dogs - so I don't want to take this on right now and risk traveling with her foot in a bandage or risk complications on the road.

So for now she's on 1/2 tab of Previcox with each meal to see if it alleviates any of the symptoms, and we'll revisit the laser surgery around the end of the month. If anyone's had this sort of surgery on a paw pad, particularly looking for a foreign body, I'd love to hear about it.

Otherwise, thanks all, and now we can turn our white light over for those pups who really need it.

Edited to add - thanks, Jen (Neylas mom) - good point. I'll talk to them about the nerve block. Continued prayers for Neyla and I'm watching your updates about the holistic approach.

Edited by BlueCrab

Glad the x-rays were clear.

I have dealt with a probably foreign body in a toe. In this case we went through a year of work so hopefully yours won't be that bad. Basically, for Inu is started with the toe pad being swollen compared to the others and as a mom I noticed a hitch in his walk. It was clear the toe was fighting an infection so we treated it with antibiotics and that seemed to work. Over the course of almost a year we kept doing more meds to flare ups and finally it seemed to stop worked. When he was down for a dental the vet took a sample of the infected toe to see what sort of infection we were dealing with. It turned out to be a staph infection that was sensitive to all forms of antibiotics. At this point he had been on four different ones on a sliding scale of efficacy. Two different vets were in agreement separately that is was a foreign object. Both of them said they could go in and try to find it but they also both said it is a bit like finding a needle in a hay stack. The infection had been around for a year and was really settled into his body and was starting to move to other toes. We ended up opting for drastic surgery to remove the toe. He is currently still recovering from the surgery but I have high hopes for a quick adjustment to a three toed guy.

This is all a result of a foreign body, we hope. If your vet thinks they can actually find it with exploratory surgery, great. I'm sorry she is having so much trouble walking on it.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)