Deskinned Tail

Guest sc1911cwp

Guest sc1911cwp

I noticed the other day when I got home blood on the wall when I was getting ready to walk my Greys. Upon examination of them I noticed Cody had a skinless tip of the tail, about 1 1/2 inches. I am thinking he caught it under the crate pan that is cracked and he pulled it, then the skin came off. It's been a few days and I know it will heal but it will take a few months. I know this since I work in a Surgical Dermatology practice, human yes, but some things don't change. My wife is taking him in tomorrow, I guess he may need to have it removed:( This guy is so stoic. Let's hope for the best.

Happy tail is a pretty regular occurrence in greyhounds. If he needs an amputation, he will bounce right back and never miss the end of his tail.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

It should heal up just fine and if not, well there's nothing wrong with have a little shorter tail. My Valentino had to have a part of his tail removed due to a bad happy tail incident.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

John E got his tail caught in the corner of his crate and he removed skin and fur. Lots of blood, for sure. He had surgery and one vertebrae removed; about an inch. It healed fine, fur grew back to cover, and his tail was still long enough, so no one knew. My vet said she was surprised that type of injury didn't occur more often with all the dogs that are crated today.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

My Peggy has only recently healed from two 2" cuts either side of the tip of her tail (must have been a bite from a playmate or bizarrely stepped on while twirling - as she does - in the sand.) The vet had to remove 4" of the tail to get back to what they considered viable tissue. Then she got an infection in it despite being on an antibiotic; that needed to be cultured to get the right antibiotic. This all started early July and she wasn't signed off by the vet until about a fortnight ago. Even now I'm putting a small 12-18mth child's sock attached with micropore tape over the end of the tail when she goes for free exercise.

Those tails whip around at enormous speed as they change direction when running and it must send the blood pressure in the tip right off the scale.

So yes, maybe the vet will need to trim some tail back. 4 weeks to healed over if you're lucky with a tail splint and dressing changes every 3 days, probably 12 weeks until it's safe to be knowcing into things again. Perhaps give Melatonin caps to encourage protective hair regrowth?

Guest sc1911cwp

This is what I think may happen. I've sen Happy Tail beofre. Once on a Grey that looked like it was docked. I just want to say thank you for the interest and replies. I will let you all know what happpens. Cody just ignores the whole thing. Where do they get such courage?

Guest greybookends

Bill was attacked by another dog a couple of years ago and in the attack his ENTIRE tail was degloved, I actually found the fur/skin later. While he was having surgery to stitch up all of his other injuries they removed his tail. He only has about 3 or 4" of a 22" tail left. He recovered quickly and doesn't miss it. I do however, it was a lovely tail.

Guest sc1911cwp

Well, Cody has to have part of his tail amputated, about 5 inches to start. I say to start as the Vet said it depends on how he does and if he leaves it alone. She said it's one injury they really dislike seeing as many dogs have to come back and have "an adjustment". OR time Friday morning.

Go to the "Cute & Funny things Greygounds Do" board & check out "The Nub Club"/Greybookends. There are tons of picture of

absolutely adorable nubs. My DesiRay has a beautiful black tail....21" with a white tip, & I must say I'd miss it if it were gone.

Hope all goes well on Friday. Keep us posted.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Well, Cody has to have part of his tail amputated, about 5 inches to start...

My girl lost about 6 inches. No one even comments on it accept the occasional Greyhound person mentioning happy tail. The non-sighthound owning world thinks it looks like a normal length. Chances are this will be Cody's only surgery. Venus healed quite well & quickly.

Guest sc1911cwp

Well Codys tail is about 5 inches shorter. He made it with flying colors. However, he knows something is different but is alittle perplexed. He's not chewing the tail or even paying attention to it so I don't make him wear the collar. He just knows something has changed. He went to the Vet today for a checkup and dressing change. He has to go in again in three days. The Vet is very attentive and is not charging extra for the visits. Total cost to date about $150.00 for the surgery. He is on Prednisone, Keflex and Tramodol.

Well, Cody has to have part of his tail amputated, about 5 inches to start. I say to start as the Vet said it depends on how he does and if he leaves it alone. She said it's one injury they really dislike seeing as many dogs have to come back and have "an adjustment". OR time Friday morning.

Five inches for a tail tip?

I think that extreme.

And to not even TRY to let it heal up?

I've had two dogs with happy tail. One was severe. Sixteen weeks of trying to get it to heal. We finally amputated two inches, but only because he was having major orthopedic surgery anyway.

George came to me with happy tail. When he had his dental, I asked the vet to remove the damaged tail part. When she called after the dental, she had NOT amputated anything because she said it was well on it's way to healing. It did take two more months of constant bandaging and changing, but it's good as new now, and has not been a problem since.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Five inches for a tail tip?

I think that extreme.

And to not even TRY to let it heal up?

I've had two dogs with happy tail. One was severe. Sixteen weeks of trying to get it to heal. We finally amputated two inches, but only because he was having major orthopedic surgery anyway.

George came to me with happy tail. When he had his dental, I asked the vet to remove the damaged tail part. When she called after the dental, she had NOT amputated anything because she said it was well on it's way to healing. It did take two more months of constant bandaging and changing, but it's good as new now, and has not been a problem since.

When Goldie had to have part of his tail amputated they did the same thing. Even though it was only the very end that was damaged the vet cut off amost half his tail!!! told me they do it to be sure it heals well. This vet had about a hundred letters behind his name, board certified, yada yada so I accepted what he said. They just do it that way apparently. However that doesn't necessarily mean that it is the best course of action. I'm not convinced totally that its not better to try and save more of the tail like you said. Heaven knows I am the first one to say that I don't trrust vets(made that way by experience).

Edited by racindog

Guest sc1911cwp

Well Cody is whipping this tail throught the air all the time and smacking it here and there. I wish less was taken however I trust his opinion and experiance. Cody is no worse the wear. He pays it no mind and hasn't needed a collar at all. This guy raced 94 races before coming off the track and I am sure has had his share of injury. He's doing great!

So glad all is going well. As for the extra length taken off, I do not know your vet's particular reason but when my girls tail was damaged it was at a spot about 4 inches up. However, she lost a total 6 inches of her tail because they had to move up to another... um... what do you call it in a tail? a vertebra? ... anyway, the surgeon felt that going up just that one was not as likely to get a swift, easy recovery as taking one more than that. And it sure worked for my girl. She never missed a beat from about the third day after surgery.

It seems with happy tail at least that if a vet takes off the minimum necessary some percentage of dogs will end up needing another surgery to remove more. Those dogs certainly would have been better off just having a more taken off the first time. And in this particular case we aren't talking about just damaged skin like happy tail. There was no skin. So if a vet thinks taking 5 inches is more of a sure bet than 3 inches, I'd let them take the extra length & then rejoice over a good recovery. It would seem to be in the best interests of that dog & that is, after all, what matters most.

My girl's tail had already had a couple minor injuries near the tip a couple times before. Since the amputation it has not been injured at all. Though I hate that we had the awful incident that caused the painful injury & required surgery, to be quite honest I think she may be better off with her shorter 16" tail rather than retaining all of her original 22" one. She certainly doesn't seem to care.

Guest sc1911cwp

Cody went in for his second post-op visit today. He came home without the bandage and he's doing great. I miss the tail as it was but there's no harm with it as it is now. I want to thank everyone for their interest and encouragement. Take care. Bruce

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sc1911cwp

Well it's been a few weeks since the amputation and I just wanted to let those following that Cody is well and none the worse for wear. He doesn't even notice it. The hair is growing back and most people don't even notice. Thanks again for the support.

I'm glad Cody is doing well.

Vets often take off more tail than owners might think is necessary. Dogs reinjure the longer tail because they can still smack it into walls, doors, cabinets, etc. When the tail is shorter, it's harder for the dog to whip the end of the tail into obstacles with so much damaging speed. And a shorter tail just plain hits less because it's not covering such a large circumference.

Some time in the last month or so my 10-year-old has broken his tail. He's now got a kink about 3 inches from the tip. It only bothers him if I mess with it, so he's trained me to leave it alone. :)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)