Seniori Teeth Problems

mychip1

DH's dog (a senior who will be 10 in October) has always had bad teeth. 17 were removed in 2008. Now the rest are a mess. His mouth was bleeding the past two days - clearly he has an infection - so vet put him on antibiotics. He does not let us brush or clean them at all!! Of course, his appetite is not good - and he has always been a very finicky eater. I put hot water on his kibble the past two days and his favorite thin-sliced bologna as well as spinach and spinach juice which he LOVES. He is eating that better - and antibiotic is doing something right as he still is bleeding a little - but there is no infected "smell". Big question - obviously he needs a dental - but he has a heart murmer diagnosed in 2009. It is not horrible - an ekg showed a slight "leakage" causing it. They said he COULD go under anesthesia (at that time) if he had any procedure that required it. The problem is this - it is another year later, short of doing another ekg, it's hard to know if it is worse - though he does not cough and is not on meds for it yet. DH is very opposed to doing surgery on him at this point. What would you all do? Try to maintain his gums w/peroxide (per the vet) and occassional antibiotics as necessary (though I know the immunity thing is a problem) and cook him soft meats etc., or take the chance on surgery? I can't be very objective on this one since losing my Jack only three months ago (at only five years old) to surgical complications.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

If it were my pup I would opt to just get the rest of his toofers pulled. On a personal level, as a human, I would rather take the chance on surgery then to live the next and last few years of my life in chronic pain. I try to treat my dogs the way I would want to be medically treated. I'm 100% for a pain free life that may be a bit shorter. BUT this is a personal decision that you and your DH should make together.

------

Jessica

I, too, am a believer in the "quality of life question". Right now, he actually doesn't seem to be in pain. This morning he ate very well and looked OK. My thought was that when he seems like he is in pain, then we do the surgery. My only concern with that is that by then, the murmer could be worse. My gut was the same as yours....let's do the surgery and make him comfy. But then fear just completely overtook that - not to mention a DH who can't face this very well. EZ and he live together apart from us in upstate NY where DH is stationed in the USAF. The dog is just home w/me because DH is travelling for a few days. They travel back and forth to RI and are each other's best buddies up there. I think dealing w/DH is harder than dealing w/the dog.:blush

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

There is a dentist in Brick, NJ who gets all the difficult cases. My Pearl's cardiologist recommended her. There were only two dentists in the area (cardiologist is in Langhorne, PA!, so the area encompasses about 5 hrs across) that she has recommended.

Pearl was extremely high risk with heart disease (grade 4 murmur) and out of control hypertension. But she needed an abscess tooth out.

I would trust my 15 yr old to Dr. Fiorito if she needed a dental.

Brick Town Vet Hosp

The dental is done in one day, so even coming from your distance, that shouldn't be a problem. But she usually likes to see her patients first a few weeks before. But you may be able to discuss that with her.

Another thing.......she's EXPENSIVE!! All of my girls major dentals have cost between $2500 and $3000.

But, guarentee, he'll feel so much better with most of his teeth gone. He'll never need another major dental again. She uses xrays to determine if teeth need to come out. If the bone holding the tooth is compromised, out it comes.

Personally, I think it's worth it. But then again, I drove all the way from NJ to OSU for both Pearl and Diamond when they got cancer.

We have a senior with horrible teeth also. We won't do a dental as we lost a 3 year having a dental. Our new vet gives occasioanl antibiotics when needed

Rich

Nicklaus (Okie Nicklaus) 4/1/95- 3/21/07, Alexandra (Noble Mason)7/22/99-6/27/11, Tsar (Noble Pratt)7/22/99-11/25/10, Tully (Noble Tully) 7/22/99- 11-3-06, Sunny (Primary Buddy)6/7/08-3/16/12 Sasha ( Rooftop Silvey ), Screamer (Rooftop Screamer), Gil's Chico (Chico), JD Rip Tide (Remy), Gypsy ( Gypsy Dancer), Foxy (WTD Right Right)

Greyhound Alliance: www.greyhoundalliance.org

Sunburst Project: www.sunburstproject.org

Guest Energy11

Our Staggerlee, 10, HAD some horrible teeth. I use peroxide, everyday, and Petzlife GEL, everyother day ... The gingivitis is gone and everything seems fine. He eats his hard treats with no problems. I truly believe the Petzlife Gel and the peroxide are the ticket for us! Good Luck!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Is your vet greyhound-savvy? Meaning, does your vet see a lot of greyhounds? Reason I ask is because when I saw Dr. Cuoto speak he mentioned that nearly every single greyhound he has ever examined has had a heart murmor. He said it is due to the fact that the greyhound has the largest heart of any canine and that they regularly have a level I heart murmor (I believe that was the phraseology he used) with absolutely no adverse affects.

One thing to bear in mind when making your decision is that the bugs in a dog's infected mouth can enter the bloodstream and cause organ (including heart) damage. The longer you put it off, the older he will be when he eventually MUST have them attended to, and meanwhile the bugs may well have been infecting his heart.

If he were mine, I'd get it done, ASAP. But do find a vet you trust, and if necessary, get a second opinion.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Is your vet greyhound-savvy? Meaning, does your vet see a lot of greyhounds? Reason I ask is because when I saw Dr. Cuoto speak he mentioned that nearly every single greyhound he has ever examined has had a heart murmor. He said it is due to the fact that the greyhound has the largest heart of any canine and that they regularly have a level I heart murmor (I believe that was the phraseology he used) with absolutely no adverse affects.

Actually, he was a track vet for a while. So, yes, he is savvy - and I think that's why he didn't rule out surgery - but clearly wants him in a more clinical environment where there is a cardiologist. I have no problem travelling to NJ as someone mentioned - or the cost involved as taking him to Tufts up here would be a similar cost. My bigger concern was that when he had surgery in 2008, for a soft-tissue cancer and the dental where he lost 17 teeth, he did not have the murmer (same vet) - but he clearly hears it now. He did indicate that if the murmer becomes one that requires medication, then our window of safety for surgery shrinks. To those who suggested Petzlife, I just purchased some of that - and the vet had suggested peroxide.

It is such a hard decision - and after losing one so recently, I'm not so sure I'm objective - not to mention having to deal w/DH in this who doesn't want to face making such a call.