Mellow Man Memphis

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Guest guinness_the_greyt

memphs.jpg

Mellow Man Memphis aka Coldwater Arnot

7-8-99 to 7-7-10

This thread comes two months to the day that I lost my Memphis without warning. Everyday I thought today will be the day I'll write this... and I couldn't... still feel like I can't. But I need to honor my boy and begin to move forward. Thank you to all my friends who so selflessly helped me while I was devastated. Without your love... well, I'm not sure how I'd be.

Memphis was the mellowest of the mellow... hence the name Mellow Man Memphis. A big black boy who was with our group for a year at every meet and greet and no one wanted him. Almost hairless and not cat safe. He was among the undesirables. But I loved him from the moment I met him... Always thinking he was the very best of the picks. A couple months after the passing of my pit mix I was at an event and saw that all the hounds in the "adoptables pen" had been taken... and there he stood.... My huge handsome mellow man! I walked over and took him. I never regretted it.

Nothing ever bothered Memph... you could have him in any situation and he'd stay cool as cucumber. One day I came home from work on my lunch break to find his foot almost the size of a softball and his leg firey hot to the touch. I rushed him to the vet and they said it was extremely painful... From Memph's body language you'd never know it. The vet manipulated that broken toe and not even a flinch. Nothing ever bothered him.

He was a food hound... but true to his nature never begged or got agressive or rushed the food bowl. I will forever miss coming home and the other hounds sniffing my legs to see where I'd been and Big Memph standing there sniffing upward waiting for me to lean down and allow him to sniff my mouth... always wanting to know what wonders I'd eaten without him!

I miss most our "hug time"... Which came at the oddest place... The bathroom. The other hounds never ventured in the bathroom... the dreaded bathtub is in there dont ya know!! But that was Memph's spot. He always rushed in there and stand in front of me. Allowing me to wrap my arms around his giant barrel chest... he'd always sigh and wrap his neck around mine. I miss the smell of his ears. I miss him more then I can express.

The greatest gift he gave me was waking me to let me know he was going... And in true Mellow Man fashion... he woke me up... collapsed... and died without and fuss or mess. He was a rare boy. My gentle giant. My beautiful boy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 What a great tribute to a special boy.

Godspeed Memphis.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

oh Amanda I am so very sorry :( :( :( :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

(((Hugs))) I remember you telling us the story of Memphis and how happy and proud you were while telling it. You gave him a wonderful life and he in turn loved you for it :) I'm so sorry for your loss.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Giant hugs, Amanda... I only saw a mention of his passing 2 months ago... then wasn't even sure I'd seen it.

I'm so sorry he had to leave you - I'll give you real hugs at Dewey...

Run free, mellow Memphis

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest LadyChester

I am so incredibly sorry. I'm sure Memphis is at the Bridge and watching over you and his siblings.

Edited by LadyChester

I am so sorry for the loss of such a special boy. He waiting so long to be adopted, because, he was waiting for you.

Say not in grief, "he is no more," but live in thankfulness that he was. ~ Hebrew proverb

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so sorry. He sounds like such a special boy.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Nothing is as painful as losing our beloved greys.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

oh amanda how blessed you were to have such an amazing hound. I know your heart is still in pieces. Memphis was so handsome.

I love ya woman and we'll be together soon and will have a drink to toast your sweet Memphis and our sweet Lily

Praying for all the missing greys!

Oh Amanda, I saw you posted of his passing on FB. I'm so sorry for your loss and I know how hard his passing was for you. He was definitely your special boy. Rest well Memphis. You are still loved by many.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greytglory

:mellow:Your man Mellow Man Memphis,

I read your post and tears filled my eyes. I know the pain your feeling as you wrote this. I am glad you finally wrote it and now you can move on each day. He will NEVER leave your heart or soul. You will carry him with you forever and to me that is wonderful.

I lost my mellow girl last Thursday so I know what you feel even though our feelings our are own we all feel the paid and sadness. May the healing improve within your heart so that your days can be happy and joyful again.

Sincerely,

Judy, Roseville, Ca. f_yellow

How I wish that I had been able to meet your boy! What a beautiful tribute. I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow