Poor Rubyjewels!

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

I let Ruby run with my other two at the fenced in schoolyard for the first time yesterday; no big deal, I thought, they were all muzzled and it was a cool day, no one ran excessively, but when we got home I noticed my poor little new girl had run her pads off on the big pad on both front feet; just the rear part, but she is sore and tender. I have not had a dog before who came straight from the track; RubyJewels did not go into a foster home before we got her, she was at the adoption group's kennel. Is it normal for them to have soft pads at first? The grass she was running on was fairly dry but it didn't bother my other dogs at all, just her. I know she'll be OK, I just feel bad for her. Right now she has an adaptic nonstick dressing over the raw spots with some neosporin, secured with a couple of rounds of vetwrap (she is a licker!) It seems to be easier on her that way when she has to go out to potty, too.

On a more positive note, she is a beautiful runner! I will just need to get her pads healed up and let them toughen a bit before we try any lure coursing practices with her.

This one is working overtime on wrapping Momma around her sweet little paw; it is hard not to want to coddle her but I must resist! She has those big caramel colored eyes and she looks up at you... :rolleyes: I am a goner... :wub:

Guest cruzNhounds

I let Ruby run with my other two at the fenced in schoolyard for the first time yesterday; no big deal, I thought, they were all muzzled and it was a cool day, no one ran excessively, but when we got home I noticed my poor little new girl had run her pads off on the big pad on both front feet; just the rear part, but she is sore and tender. I have not had a dog before who came straight from the track; RubyJewels did not go into a foster home before we got her, she was at the adoption group's kennel. Is it normal for them to have soft pads at first? The grass she was running on was fairly dry but it didn't bother my other dogs at all, just her. I know she'll be OK, I just feel bad for her. Right now she has an adaptic nonstick dressing over the raw spots with some neosporin, secured with a couple of rounds of vetwrap (she is a licker!) It seems to be easier on her that way when she has to go out to potty, too.

On a more positive note, she is a beautiful runner! I will just need to get her pads healed up and let them toughen a bit before we try any lure coursing practices with her.

This one is working overtime on wrapping Momma around her sweet little paw; it is hard not to want to coddle her but I must resist! She has those big caramel colored eyes and she looks up at you... :rolleyes: I am a goner... :wub:

Robbie,

Sorry to hear about your little jewel bug.

Hoping Miss Rubyjewels feels better soon.

My two new boys came right from the track. Not even from the adoption kennels. Their pads felt like silk!! It has been three months of neighborhood walking, and they are beginning to toughen. Your baby's feet will get there!!

Eta: sorry posting from phone so hit wrong reply button. Meant to reply to main post.

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this, but as others said, her pads WILL toughen up. We have rocky terrain here, and mine walk fine on it. Just a matter of time, AND, it sounds like you are treating the pads PERFECTLY! Sending you both a hug!

When she gets the bandages off you might try rubbing some Bag Balm on her pads at night. It will help them heal and make them a bit more flexible.

Are we going to see the new addition at the Picnic on Sunday???

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Most hounds straight off the track have the softest pads. They've only run on sand and haven't even been exposed to grass because the turn out pens are sand also. Hope she feels better soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee