Yikes! Need Advice With New Grey

Guest Emmiesmom

Guest iLoveLucie

Thanks for starting this thread - while I can't offer too much expert advice, I can totally relate to this experience.

We've had our Lucie about 5 months, and w few weeks ago we tried the local dog park. We went early to avoid a crowd, there were 3 medium/large dogs and all was good. Lucie was more interested in greeting the humans than playing with the dogs. After a while someone brought in a small dog. Lucie showed no interest.... until the little one started to run and the other dogs started to chase. Lucie got in there with the pack and it seemed like all the dogs were nipping/snapping at the small dog, but I was watching my dog and saw her head raised above the pack, mouth wide open, ready to chomp down! I was freaked, but managed to yell out "NO!" Lucie actually looked at me so I called her and she came right over. Meanwhile the small dog owner trying to get the other dogs away from her dog; the other owners did nothing, "oh they are just playing" so we leashed our dog and left. I was almost ashamed to post a question out here - we kind of thought there was something wrong with our dog and I was so sad thinking this about my otherwise super sweet girl!

We have avoided letting her off leash around small dogs since. We stick to greyhound only events for her to run off leash where everyone is muzzled as well as a doggie day care referred to us by the local rescue group. They house some of their adoptable hounds there, so there will always be 2 or 3 other greyhounds there in the play group for large dogs only.