How To Treat Dime-Sized Play-Nip Wound On Spine

Sheba was play-nipped yesterday and has a dime-sized shallow cut/wound on the middle of her spine. No bleeding, just oozing, but can't close it up because the skin and hair are totally missing. I cleaned it and am frequently applying E.M.T. spray and letting it air dry/heal. I also have the E.M.T. gel. Fortunately, she can't scratch or bite it because of where it's located. Is there anything else I should be doing besides treating it and ensuring that it doesn't get infected?

Sounds like your doing ok. Might help to put a warm pack on it several times a day to help it keep clean and help it heal.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest TeddysMom

I hope Sheba's wound is getting better. One of my foster greys got a cut on her shoulder area and it has been awful trying to get it to heal. The vet didn't want to stitch it but wanted me to keep it clean, do a round of antibiotics and leave it open as much as possible. The problem was she would rub up against the fence because it itched and kept breaking it open. I finally started making her wear a teeshirt and it is finally knitting together and looking a lot better. I tried doing the bandage and vet wrap but it was not letting any air get to it so you might consider a teeshirt after cleaning.

Edited by TeddysMom

EMT spray is great. I also use colloidal silver for anything my guys get. It's antibacterial and it increases healing time.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about the boo boo! This is from my first aid presentation at Mt. Hounds. ... Hope it helps!

Neck, trunk and body injuries:

As most of us already know, greyhounds’ skin is thin, and when cut, tears like a zipper! If your dogs get cut or bitten, and it is a weekend or night, ... YOU CAN treat this yourself, for the most part. (*If the wound is into the muscle, or the bone is showing, Or you cannot get the bleeding stopped, see the vet IMMEDIATELY.

If it the wound is superficial here is what you do: Hold pressure to stop the bleeding. Gently clean the wound with warm water, and blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or triple-antibiotic ointment to the would. Cover with a large band aid, or non-stick dressing. You can cover this, depending on the size , with a maxi pad, and affix to the dog’s body with Kling (stretch bandage) or the Surgical tubing mentioned in the ear segment. This dressing needs to be changed twice daily, and you need to see your vet for a course of antibiotics and a follow-up. Deramaxx or Rimadyl can be given for pain. If you don’t have either of these, ONE 81 mg BUFFERED aspirin can be given daily, according to a licensed veterinarian, but not for long periods of time. If your dog happens to get an object stuck in it, (*impaled object) DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE IT! Use rags, napkins, gause, ... whatever you have handy, to stabilize the object and tape it. Bringthe dog WITH the object in tact to your veterinarian IMMEDIATELY!!! Removing the object can cause more damage to internal organs and bleeding!

Temporary splints for broken bones can be made using folded cardboard, a rolled up magazine, or even a tree branch, if the above is not available. SPLIT in the position you find it! DO NOT try to straighten out the limp, and see you vet IMMEIDATELY! It is a good idea some old magazines and masking tape in your first aid kits for this emergency.

GOOD LUCK! :-)

I hope Sheba's wound is getting better. One of my foster greys got a cut on her shoulder area and it has been awful trying to get it to heal. The vet didn't want to stitch it but wanted me to keep it clean, do a round of antibiotics and leave it open as much as possible. The problem was she would rub up against the fence because it itched and kept breaking it open. I finally started making her wear a teeshirt and it is finally knitting together and looking a lot better. I tried doing the bandage and vet wrap but it was not letting any air get to it so you might consider a teeshirt after cleaning.

The bite happened Sept 3, and I'd been keeping it clean and treated, but yesterday, Sept 7, it looked worse so we had a vet appointment. Once the surrounding hair was shaved and the puncture wound treated, it is larger than I originally thought. It was healing but also becoming infected, so she's on antibiotic pills twice daily and heat compress and salve application three times a day. No stitches. Luckily, she can't reach the wound no matter how hard she tries so it can't get messed with and already looks better today.

The bite happened Sept 3, and I'd been keeping it clean and treated, but yesterday, Sept 7, it looked worse so we had a vet appointment. Once the surrounding hair was shaved and the puncture wound treated, it is larger than I originally thought. It was healing but also becoming infected, so she's on antibiotic pills twice daily and heat compress and salve application three times a day. No stitches. Luckily, she can't reach the wound no matter how hard she tries so it can't get messed with and already looks better today.

I wonder if a t-shirt wouldn't still help to keep it more clean? Or it could have the opposite effect and just rub the salve off. :dunno

My 2 cents for future injuries (which you hopefully won't have) is that I would not use EMT gel. I think of it more as something to hold wounds closed rather than apply to open wounds. Plus I have good (human) info that it burns like heck on an open wound or sore. I think the burn cream that someone else recommended is great, there have also been some posts about using honey to speed wound healing and prevent bacterial growth, which you might still want to look into.

Hope she is better in no time! :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."