Cruciate Problems?

Rock may have a cruciate problem in his left rear leg. Next steps are to see an ortho Dr. Anyone have experience with this? I'm wondering whether he may need surgery or whether strict bedrest may be recommended. I'd be concerned about surgery for obvious reasons but he also has a primary bone tumor in his right front leg and I worry about the stress on this leg. (This tumor has been present without change for 1 year so it's not OS).

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Hi Barbara,

I think you've met my little black shepherd mix, Lucky. She blew out her ACL a few months after Cosmo died. She was limping around that time and the vet said, 'well, it could be her ACL, but we can't tell yet.' Then she completely blew it out and the vet said, 'yup, ACL, gotta fix it'. Leash walk for 6-8 months!

The following year, the neighbors' grandpuppy--about a year-old lab--started to limp, was determined to have a tear in the ACL--but not totally blown out. Surgery, 6-8 WEEK leash walk for recovery!! I was REALLY aggravated when I found that out. I felt like my vet hadn't read the journals or been to the right seminars.

So, recently, I have heard that you can rest them and it might heal, but I haven't heard any long-term reports that the knee stays stable. I think there are a couple of folks here on GT who have done that though. I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

Can you do the surgery, then get a cart or a doggie wheelchair to assist with recovery? There's a place in western Massachusetts, Eddy's Wheels, that makes them. The wheelchair might help even without the surgery. They make them for front, rear, or overall weakness/support.

Good luck with Rock's recovery, whichever path you choose.

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

1st xrays in July and repeated this week. No changes which surprised me as I was preparing myself for a OS dx. Knee is unstable upon examination which raises the cruciate issue.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

Well crud, I do, but I cannot deal with this messed up board right now!

PM me if you want to hear all about my experience with a torn ACL, surgery at Angell, the bone infection, and the second surgery...

Susan

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest zoolaine

Briley - non-grey - just had surgery for a torn ACL about 10 days ago and is doing great. He had the TTA surgery http://jeffmayodvm.com/TTA.aspx

He may have to get the other one done in the near future as that one is probably damaged as well. Briley could barley walk the few days before his surgery. He is walking now but still has a limp - I have to really keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't overdo it.

Thanks for the responses. I do not let Rock run b/c of he already has a bone tumor in his front leg so that is why I wondered if time would heal this or whether surgery is really necessary.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger