Limping Out Of Nowhere

Guest Maddyr24

Guest Maddyr24

A little over a week or so ago, Sagan started limping an almost unnoticeable limp (rear left). I am assumed he strained a muscle when he ran - which has happened before (he limps for a day and then it goes away). This one, however, seems to be lasting a bit longer. Its very slight, he gives no response when I poke and prod the leg (no/limited pain), and he walks/trots often - he even tends to put weight on the left leg when he pees. I'm not sure whats going on! Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm tempted to bring him to the vet, but I can't imagine they will tell me anything more than "rest and wait". He's turning 6 in October.

Thanks everyone!

Maddy

Guest mbfilby

Check his pads and between his tows really well. He may have picked up a thorn or have a tow irritated by a claw etc. If everything looks good and he is still limping, I would get him to the vet.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I agree. Check his toes, pads, etc. If you have the Care of the Racing and Retired Greyhound you can refer to the warm up stretches/quick exam for soundness and possibly locate an area of tenderness. I'll admit that with these guys, I prefer to error on the side of overly cautious when it comes to limping, though.

Guest GentleHugs
<br />A little over a week or so ago, Sagan started limping an almost unnoticeable limp (rear left).  I am assumed he strained a muscle when he ran - which has happened before (he limps for a day and then it goes away).  This one, however, seems to be lasting a bit longer.  Its very slight, he gives no response when I poke and prod the leg (no/limited pain), and he walks/trots often - he even tends to put weight on the left leg when he pees. I'm not sure whats going on! Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm tempted to bring him to the vet, but I can't imagine they will tell me anything more than "rest and wait". He's turning 6 in October. <br /><br />Thanks everyone!<br /><br />Maddy<br />
<br /><br /><br />

By any chance has he done any running, quick turning/pivoting lately? I only ask because my Patrick was doing the same thing about a week ago when he ran the fenceline hard with some neighbor dogs. Came up ever so slightly limping then it went away. Then yesterday morning he decided he was going to do a few fast spins around my girls and came up limping again. I checked everything from neck to hip to tip of toenails and pads. Nothing - nada. I massaged his legs, hips and back. I poked, prodded and all I got was a smile and a lot of chatter.

Well, just about an hour ago, Pat was cockroaching and I noticed some discoloration on his inner thigh up near where the leg meets the groin area. Checked it out very carefully and he's bruised! I know sometimes it takes a while for a bruise to show up and I know they can be painful depending on the location of where it's at. I'm actually relieved that Pat's is just a bad bruise. I'm leashwalking him for awhile until he's totally back to normal and then some. Pat just turned 9 Aug 14th so I'm sure what went through my mind must be going through your mind as well.

Hope this is the case with Sagan. I'll say some prayers and keep Sagan tucked in my thoughts.