Beef Chuck Brisket

Hollis

Found a brisket in the freezer. Freezer burned. Dont want to throw it out. Thinking about making a stew for the kids. What else should I add?

Thanks!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

You said Brisket .. is it salty? If so you may want to soak for a day or two to get most of the salt out.

But, just as a note, I would never give my dogs "processed meat" like Brisket.

Ummm...not all brisket is processed and salted. Here in Texas uncured brisket is one of the all time favorites at BBQ places. My neighbor smokes briskets all the time and they are not the brined variety.

I probably woudn't go to the trouble of making a stew, I'd just feed it to them raw after cutting off the fat flap on the bottom, but if you want to make a stew green beans, carrots and potatoes or whatever you have in the fridge should be fine.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Why not just feed it raw? I wouldn't cut off the fat, cook it, or add veggies (which, especially if you don't feed them on a regular basis, are more likely to cause GI upset than the beef).

I too buy brisket all the time and none of it has ever been brined, salted, treated, etc.

Why not just feed it raw? I wouldn't cut off the fat, cook it, or add veggies (which, especially if you don't feed them on a regular basis, are more likely to cause GI upset than the beef).

I too buy brisket all the time and none of it has ever been brined, salted, treated, etc.

I guess after Poodle's pancretitis attack I'm just fat paranoid and some briskets have a pretty good sized fat flap. Just me. Probably wouldn't bother healthy greys. :blush There is beef brisket and there is CORNED beef brisket. Maybe there is some confusion about the two. I wouldn't feed my dogs corned beef brisket (except in very tiny amouts as a treat) either.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

I guess after Poodle's pancretitis attack I'm just fat paranoid and some briskets have a pretty good sized fat flap. Just me. Probably wouldn't bother healthy greys. :blush There is beef brisket and there is CORNED beef brisket. Maybe there is some confusion about the two. I wouldn't feed my dogs corned beef brisket (except in very tiny amouts as a treat) either.

The fat on beef is usually not an issue, even for sensitive dogs, the way that the fat in chicken or turkey is. For dogs prone to pancreatitis or IBD it's almost always things like chicken skin that'll cause irritation. The white beef fat you see on cuts of beef, despite what we're told by those constantly hounding us about eating healthy, is pretty healthy not as "Fatty" (if that makes any sense) than things we don't think of as being fatty.

I don't feed anything brined, salted, or "enhanced" with broth either. If there's packaging still on what the OP has, the label might be helpful in determining whether it's unfooledaroundwith.

Um ... the fat on beef is fat, and will cause serious issues in dogs prone to pancreatitis.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.