Still Battling Uti

Poor Ducky has been battling what we think is a UTI for several months now. We just had a re-check of a sterile sample of urine after a third round of antibiotics, and the sample is still showing suspicious signs of the UTI. The next step would be to culture the urine, and/or do an ultrasound to look for a bladder tumor (we have already done an x-ray they did not see bladder stones). I guess I am stuck becaus this is the 4th urinalysis, and I think would be the 3rd culture (I've lost count), and for the cost, I don't know whether to go ahead w/ the culture & more antibiotics if we're going to have to do the ultrasound anyway? I'll do whatever I need to, I just don't want to prolong treatment if it's not getting us anywhere, or if we're missing a bigger problem.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Ugh. Poor Ducky. Sorry to hear the news. Has he been on Batryl yet? Not sure what I'd do but if you want to rule out something other than a UTI before moving ahead with more antibiotics, it sounds like an ultrasound would be the next step? I haven't had a lot of experience with UTI's so I'm not a good source of advice.

Assume a sensitivity was done with the last culture? Did it come back as sensitive to just one antibiotic, or were there choices? If choices, try a different one than you've been using. What was the organism in the last culture?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You mention that the next step would be to "culture the urine" .... I would think that this would already have been done the first time with the UTI otherwise, how do you know what organism is causing the trouble and what it is sensitive to.

I can understand the cost issue .. in the Boston area each urinalysis and culture w/sensivity would probably be running about 150 or so and you are going to need this at least two times ... once at the beginning (for identification and proper antibiotic) and after the course of treatment (to make sure that issue has been resolved). In some cases, you may need this three or more times if the UTI is not getting resolved.

As to the ultrasound, if you haven't had a culture w/sensitivity then I would do that before getting the ultrasound. If I misread your post and you have already had a culture & sensitivity then I would proceed to do an ultrasound and to also get bloodwork to rule out any underlying kidney problems. I would also want to rule out diabetes (just in case).

Well, after speaking with the vet, I've decided to go ahead with another culture. Yes, the last culture did identify several antibiotics with sensitivity to it. We have tried 2 on the list. What she said was that there is a possibility that the previous infection was wiped out and this could be a different one (or something like that, I get so frazzled trying to take notes when speaking to the vet). I may also decide to go ahead with the ultrasound, but yes, this is all big, big bucks. Along with his tail amputation last month, I've got one expensive dog....sigh. If vet care wasn't so expensive I'd have 5 dogs!

Will keep everyone posted....thanks!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo

Guest FullMetalFrank

I hope the culture sheds some light on what's going on. Persistent UTI's are a real tough issue. I do agree that you might be fighting more than one type of bacteria and I think your vet is taking a good approach, probably what I'd ask for if it were my dog. Then of course next step being the ultrasound to look for something else, but I hope it doesn't get to that point! Sending prayers.

She really ought to have an IVP (intraveneous pylogram) before the ultrasound, IMO. The IVP lights up the entire urinary tract, kidneys on down. We had an old cat with the same symptoms and it turned out he had kidney stones smack in the middle of both kidneys.

The other possibility is that she has a pelvic bladder that causes urine retention and bacterial buildup from urine sitting and sitting in the bladder. Pelvic bladder would show up on an xray though. You could ask your vet if it could be that although I suspect it would have been noticed. (We have two girls with that right now so it may be more common than one would think.)

PS I'm not a vet; I just lived with these conditions and know what we did to get to the bottom of things.

Well, after speaking with the vet, I've decided to go ahead with another culture. Yes, the last culture did identify several antibiotics with sensitivity to it. We have tried 2 on the list. What she said was that there is a possibility that the previous infection was wiped out and this could be a different one (or something like that, I get so frazzled trying to take notes when speaking to the vet). I may also decide to go ahead with the ultrasound, but yes, this is all big, big bucks. Along with his tail amputation last month, I've got one expensive dog....sigh. If vet care wasn't so expensive I'd have 5 dogs!

I know what you are going through! My Missy has had similar problems..many, many UTI's with cultures, etc. You are right about different "bug"...that is what happened to Missy. One abx. treated the UTI, then she developed e-coli...vet said that sometimes happens after treatment.. I also don't remember everything. She has now been on abx for 3 months! I hate giving it to her for so long, but she is not having any side effects. she gets greek yogurt every day. We are going to start reducing the amount of meds to see how she does. She has been on so many meds. This one she has been on for this long is macrobid. she is on generic, but I know it is used for UTI's in people. Many people have suggested a wholistic vet...I think if it returns after going off this med, that will be my next step. She is 11, has LS..so I feel so bad for her. Good luck to you and Ducky! Hope he feels better soon! Missy also had toe removed..and gets acupuncture regularly for her hind end weakness! Also big bucks dog!

Edited by dbullwinkel

I know what you are going through! My Missy has had similar problems..many, many UTI's with cultures, etc. You are right about different "bug"...that is what happened to Missy. One abx. treated the UTI, then she developed e-coli...vet said that sometimes happens after treatment.. I also don't remember everything. She has now been on abx for 3 months! I hate giving it to her for so long, but she is not having any side effects. she gets greek yogurt every day. We are going to start reducing the amount of meds to see how she does. She has been on so many meds. This one she has been on for this long is macrobid. she is on generic, but I know it is used for UTI's in people. Many people have suggested a wholistic vet...I think if it returns after going off this med, that will be my next step. She is 11, has LS..so I feel so bad for her. Good luck to you and Ducky! Hope he feels better soon! Missy also had toe removed..and gets acupuncture regularly for her hind end weakness! Also big bucks dog!

Interesting about that e-coli. Jen, I think that happened with Sonie too. You may want to check with Carolyn or ask your vet that possibility.

Got the culture results back today, and yes, the infection & e-coli are still present, however, all the previous antibiotics he was on are now showing resistance to the bacteria, and the 2 that are now showing sensitivity are very expensive. I don't even remember the names, but what he is starting on now he will be on a 6-week course. The vet however still recommends an ultrasound & appt. w/ an internist because of the reoccurances. Sigh, all I want is for my boy to be okay, and part of me feels like this is a big ploy from the vet/lab to milk me for more money and get me to keep coming back! I know that's not true, but sometimes I wonder.... :angry:

The weird thing is, he's not really showing symptoms this time, so I do need to just trust in the vet & lab results.

It really makes sense that there would be E coli in the bladder, since the dog licks the behind and then the wee. Women who get UTIs often get them from wiping wrong after BMs.

OTOH, our Rita had persistent bladder infections shortly after we adopted her but it wasn't from E coli; it was Proteus mirabilis, supposedly a germ that's picked up in hospitals. Maybe she got it at the vet office where she was spayed. :unsure

Getting an ultrasound still sounds like a good thing to do. I don't think they're trying to rob you; it's a good diagnostic tool. We xrayed her and found a pelvic bladder but you've done that already. The US is the natural progression, I think.

FWIW, what finally cleared Gidget's infection was a 4-week course of Zeniquin. IIRC it cost $6 per day. It was worth it. Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'll have to post the name of the new medication when I get it, I can't remember what the vet said.

I don't really think they are scamming me, I'm just frustrated and want my boy to get better. This has been going on & on and the cost of vet care is really staggering to me. I'm going to consult with Tufts for a an internal medicine/ultrasound appt. as well to try to find some answers as to why this keeps coming back.