Help! Help! Help! Help! Help!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

First of all, I dropped off Buzz at the vet to be totally checked out for any medical issue which might be the cause of all the peeing. Unfortunately I think this is behaviorial.

Buzz always marked a bit in the house but every once in a while. I have white carpeting and no tile except in the kitchen. He was peeing/marking in the living room so I blocked it off along with my bedroom. The dog door is in the guest bedroom. He has been lifting his leg all around the bed and not just a little marking but big amounts of pee! Then he has gotten on the mattress and peed huge amounts there too! The mattress is totally runined and I will have to buy a new one but after I resolve this problem. I don't know why Buzz is doing this! He has peed a ll along my hallway too. The only place he doesn't pee is in my office and in the kitchen. I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. Of course he's doing this when I'm at work or when I'm not looking. He sneaks in urnination.

Seriously I'm at my wits end! My carpet is ruined, my mattress (king) is runined. I don't know what to do! There is nothing different going on - nothing has changed in my house! Any suggestions?? PLEASE!

Edited to add: I just thought of one thing that might have triggered this. I had to go to the hospital suddenly Aug. 12th thru the 14th and my sister had to go feed them so they were alone a lot. Maybe this has triggered some sort of insecurity with Buzz. I'm super worried because I will be going back to the hospital Oct. 12th to the 15th. Buzz is very clingy and needy.... But I still need to be able to resolve this problem!

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

It may not be behavioral, and there can be reasons for this besides a UTI. Our Wizard's neurological problems first came to our attention because he was peeing in the house frequently, up to 5x a day. I hope it is nothing serious and that the problem stops.

Guest Ohiogreymom

After Buzz's vet check, if everything is clear, I would put a belly band on him, clean everything REALLY well (making sure all of the odor is gone), and start back at house training basics, even if if means leashing him to you while you're at home.Give him more trips outside just to make sure he has the idea. Good luck, I have 4 greys, and if one started doing that, they all would. Darlene

Could very well be insecurities. Can you bellyband him when you are not home? Are you cleaning everything really good with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle? I really haven't had this problem, so I don't have much to offer. :bighug

(seems weird to say this, but I hope it is something like a UTI)

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I have an elderly whippet that cannot hold it and doesn't really care anyway. If the mood strikes, he goes, wherever he happened to be and my shy/insecure grey would consistently join in the fun (for them, not me)! I had them tested, scanned and pilled - all to no avail. I now bellyband them both when I am at work. The whippet is always wet, but the grey rarely is, thankfully. I also put the grey on cranberry pills. Doesn't hurt him and it may just help. For me, the situation gets worse everytime there is a change in the household (kids returning/leaving from/for college or just a change in our regular schedule, including). I wish you much luck!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Crate or belly band. Or at the very least, maybe gate him into a room with tile so the cleanup is easier (didnt you say the kitchen is the one place he doesnt pee?).

Chad

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Vet just called and he sees some blood and a lot of white blood cells so he's going to put Buzz on Cephalexin (sp?). He also is sending out the urine for more intensive tests and won't have the results until Sunday and he will call me with that update. Meanwhile he thinks the antibiotic will help for now.

Huh - I really didn't think this was a UTI but go figure. I'm still going to take your suggestions on the belly band and maybe locking him in the kitchen. As far as the belly band thou, since they have a dog door, wouldn't leaving a belly band on him all day while I'm at work cause some problems?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If he has access outside via doggie door, I wouldnt bellyband as he would fill it up and either try to hold it, or at the very least may get a rash from having a wet bellyband on for hours. I didnt realize you have a doggie door.

Chad

Would NOT belly band since he has an infection.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Would NOT belly band since he has an infection.

No I'm not going to - the belly band is only after infection clears up and if he's still urinating all over the place.