Something Is Wrong With Legs' Back Legs

I'm glad he's getting seen quickly. For sure, I'd want to know what that was PDQ. :nod

Java's Mom: 'Tying up' is exertional rhabdomyolysis and typically follows hard 'work' following a rest period in horses. You're right in that it results in a very stiff back and legs and probably looks a LOT like this in the early stages.

But in greyhounds, it usually presents in unfit dogs who've been allowed to run hard, especially in hot weather. If the attack is severe, you get brown coloured urine because of the products of muscle breakdown which get excreted via the kidneys - people sometimes mistake this for blood. Also, the dog tends to look miserable, and moves very sluggishly, so it's probably not that.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Javasmom

Silverfish, so there is something similar in dogs. Interesting and VERY good to know. I know there are some severe cases on horses, specifically from a certain bloodline, that have it so bad because of muscles OVER development, that they can have an attack with a fairly small amount of exercise. I did forget about the dark urine output though.

Oh Lucy, HUGS! I'll be checking back later today.

He is related to Shanti, she has VF. Guessing they were in the same place at some point. She is from Arizona too. He could have inhaled the spore too.

If it is VF you will likely see evidence of it on the xrays. It tends to attack joints. It looks just like cancer on xrays though so don't panic if you see that right away. Shantis xrays were ugly! Her joint was bad, but her chest looked awful! All VF.I would run the bloodwork. Not sure how expensive it will be in Hawaii.

As I think about it, Shantis back end is off and has been. I do chalk that up to VF.

Lucy if it turns out to be VF, let me know. I have tons of info on it. I can bring you some meds shortly too and save the Hawaii shipping. ;)

The Girls

My great dane exhibited the same symptoms and was eventually treated him for *Spondylosis*. I'm glad that Legs has an appointment soon, he s/b seen. :grouphug He is beautiful, btw.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Valley fever is a fungal infection that you get by inhaling a spore. Not sure of the spelling but it is coccidio myosis. Very common in the dirt of Arizona. Mexico and some parts of Southern California are hot beds for it too. It is a royal pain to deal with, but treatable. Most dogs that get it battle it for life. :(

The Girls

We are back from the vet, but no real news. It will be Tues or Wed before any test results are back. She did a tick panel, bloodwork, and the test for VF/ehrlichia. She did a thorough exam and he was sore along parts of his spine and back legs. We rescheduled his xrays for Thurs so we will have the test results first. She said to hope for a tick disease or VF, the other possibilities are not good. :sad1

She said not to take him on walks, he won't be happy about that :( Not a very encouraging visit, but I am so thankful to have such an awesome vet, I know she will do everything in her power to get him properly diagnosed and treated so at least I am not worrying about that.

I will post when I find out anything more. Thanks again. :grouphug

I haven't been posting, but I have been following what's been going on and I'm hoping you find out what's wrong with Legs.

What lab are you sending the VF test to?

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Javasmom

Oh darnit! Well, I will be praying for the lesser of the evils. Big hugs. I will be checking back for updates. Hugs sweetie, I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

Hi Lucy,

Just wanted to let you know that I'm keeping you and Legs in my thoughts and prayers.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guys, I'm getting really scared :( He just jumped on my bed and screamed, and is now holding his back left leg up :( He cried earlier when he jumped in the car. He just CAN'T have osteo.

He is getting xrays tomorrow morning. So far, his liver, kidney and blood values are normal. Haven't gotten any of the other test results yet.

Please keep him in your thoughts, I am dreading tomorrow. This is reminding me too much of Riley. Hopefully I am just overly sensitive and paranoid....

Keeping my fingers crossed. Any labs back on TBD or VF? VF is very painful too. Call me if you want to talk.

Would his blood work be normal with osteo?

Unfortunately yes, it can be. Sutra's bloodwork is always just fine, at times better than BEFORE he had osteo <_<

Lucy, I'm hoping for good news for you. :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--