Something Is Wrong With Legs' Back Legs

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas. The first time I noticed it, we were out walking and he suddenly got very weak in his back end. One leg seemed worse, but his whole butt was collapsing. Luckily we weren't far from home by the time this happened, and he made it ok. I thought I had taken him too far in the heat - I have no idea if he was ever walked in his last home. He was panting very hard and seemed somewhat distressed when we got home, but I put some wet towels on his belly and a fan on him, and he was ok.

So today we were only on a short walk, not even 1/2 a mile, and it happened again. He would turn around and try to bite at his leg, like he felt something on it. But then both sides were sort of collapsing, and his feet were pointing out weird in the back, like his legs were stiff. Does this sound like heat issues, or something else? He does seem to be very sensitive to the heat. It is about 80 here today, so not extremely hot, but hot enough I guess. Of course I will be taking him to the vet, but thought I'd run it by you guys first. Thanks in advance.

Edited by RileysMomma

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may be really out of shape if he's not been walked. You may have to start him really slowly like a couple of blocks at a time and work him up. Has he had a vet check lately?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Spencers_Greyt

It sounds like something was pulled in his back. Maybe a ruptured disc. Spencer has disc problems and is very weak in the back legs from it. A vet visit is in order.

I wonder if there is a nerve issue with his back since you say he's biting at his back leg. Maybe it's tingling or something along those lines.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Thanks guys. He has an appt on Tues, it was the soonest my vet has available, and I'd rather take him to her than someone I don't know. Until then I will take it easy with him. I have not noticed any issues when he is at home, and he pretty playful with his toys - he runs and pounces on them and stuff. I really hope nothing serious is wrong with him, I don't know if I can take it. :(

Can you carry something sling-ish when you walk him until Tuesday? If his back end goes out on a walk -- which I'm sure will be short ones -- it'll be a lot easier to get him home that way.

Good thoughts that everything will be fine until Tuesday -- and beyond!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Is he knuckling his feet? You can check this by turning each foot under so he's standing on the top of his foot. He should quickly right it so that he's standing on the bottom of the foot--like normal. If he's knuckling, try to get an estimate of how many seconds he does it before he rights his foot, or if he doesn't. If it's several seconds or more, I'd call the vet to she if she'll get him in sooner.

I'd also check him over for critter bites. Is there anything toxic or nasty in Hawaii that could cause these symptoms?

Hope Legs is feeling better soon.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I just went back and checked his welcome home post because something stuck in my mind, here it is: you said ". . . He also was snapping at actual flies when he was outside earlier (and even caught one) but then continued to do it inside when there were no bugs, so that concerns me a little"

Not a big serious concern but May be a wee piece of the puzzle ... one of my daughter's greys does that snapping at flies, both real and then imagined. He has mild focal seizures. Nothing serious, seems to cycle -- she's found that leaving the tv on for them when she is not home works better than leaving the radio on (for example). But he will do the 'air snapping' at times and then go weeks without. It reminded me of what you said about his looking at/biting at his back legs. Just another 2 cents for when you see the vet....

Hoping for something simple or nothing at all. Whatever the case may be, I can't help but think *he* has landed in the catbird seat, even tho his momma is worried.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest strwberrys645

I agree with DD...if he doesn't correct his toes to normal position immediately after you flip them under that indicates a neurological component and should be checked out much sooner. It definitely sounds like a nerve problem sending radiating pain into his legs with the resulting weakness. I'm not sure how old he is but he could have an arthritis forming, possibly old injury. Adequan injections are great for arthritis if that's all it is. Fingers crossed and good luck!

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers for Legs.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I just went back and checked his welcome home post because something stuck in my mind, here it is: you said ". . . He also was snapping at actual flies when he was outside earlier (and even caught one) but then continued to do it inside when there were no bugs, so that concerns me a little"

Not a big serious concern but May be a wee piece of the puzzle ... one of my daughter's greys does that snapping at flies, both real and then imagined. He has mild focal seizures. Nothing serious, seems to cycle -- she's found that leaving the tv on for them when she is not home works better than leaving the radio on (for example). But he will do the 'air snapping' at times and then go weeks without. It reminded me of what you said about his looking at/biting at his back legs. Just another 2 cents for when you see the vet....

Yes, i was thinking focal seizures as well, but I really don't know enough about it. And I am wondering if it may be connected. He hasn't been snapping as much, but still at least a few times/day.

I just tried curling his toes under, and he corrected it right away. So that's good....

Thanks so much for all the good thoughts.

This is going to sound too "easy" but are you absolutely sure he does not have any fleas (even one!)? I've seen a dog do this and it was because a flea was irritating him and he couldn't get at it to scratch so he just kind of crumpled. I hope that is all it is! do a flea comb check if you have time.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest Javasmom

Oh gosh girl, I have no advice or experience with this directly. My only thought was the focal seizures too, but again, I have no direct experience with them. I REALLY hope it turns out to be nothing. Hugs to you. Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on Legs: After talking with his previous owner and the vet, we all thought that he was just very out of shape and needed to build up his endurance. He had been doing very well - we walk a few miles a day, but slowly - but today I took him on a very short hike and he couldn't make it. We stopped a few times to rest, give him water and let him lay down. I finally got the brilliant idea to take a video.

He has another vet appt on Saturday, I would love to hear any thoughts so I can let the vet know. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFfjJrEwB-Q

(right after this he actually almost sat down, and then we stopped and rested for awhile, and he made it the rest of the way ok)

He acts like he's in pain, could he be having muscle spasms since he's not used to the exercise? He started out okay but the more he walked he acted like he was feeling something in his back end, maybe tingling, cramps, spasms.

I was also going to say I think I'd slow down quite a bit until you get some muscle mass built up or figure out what the issue is with his back end.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

I still say my best guess is a lower back issue. If something is pinching a nerve back there causing tingles, he could think it was

a fly pestering him. I'd slow down some, too, if it were I.

Oh, yeah, of course - we were just trying to get it on video, that's why my friend is walking at a normal pace and not stopping.

Guest AbbyGirl

Could it be an issue with his hips? My girl walks a lot like he does and she was diagnosed with arthritis in both hips which in turn has caused the hip joint to not be seated as tightly in the socket as it should be. Just a thought.