Problems With Anal Glands

Guest happygrey

Guest happygrey

Bentley's anal glands are not expressing when he goes to the bathroom. The vet's been checking him every couple of months since he came to us and they are always hard and filled with thick liquid and "debris" (her word). She's suggesting that I start upping his fiber intake with pumpkin or sweet potato to try and get them to start draining on their own.

Does anyone have any experience with a similar problem? I thought I had read here that sometimes working to firm their poops (such as by giving them more bone) was supposed to be helpful. However, she thinks we need to work on making them bigger by giving him more fiber.

He currently eats TOTW Pacific Stream with occasional mixins of cannned food, meat or fish.

Edited by happygrey

You might search the forum (here or in the Food and Dietary discussion). Try searching for Metamucil. I seem to remember someone using Metamucil to introduce more fiber into their dog's diet.

At least it would mean not having to change Bentley's whole diet.

ETA: See here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/255482-metamusil-anyone/

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I dog sit a grey that has this problem off and on. Definitely more fiber added to the food. Pumpkin worked great for him but I Metamucil is good option as well. You still may need to get them expressed from time to time but the secret is to get his poops big and firm.

Guest happygrey

Thanks. What's weird is that his poop are already totally firm and pretty big. But I guess they need to get bigger! The poor guy doesn't show any symptoms at home (no scooting, or biting at his tail or anything like that) but he sure doesn't appreciate the vet visits!

Yes- I had this same issue with Bobber. In fact hers even abscessed once. My holistic vet Dr. Boswell -who I can't praise enough- told me that many practioners recommend "The Missing Link" supplement for dogs who have anal sac issues. Initially improvement was immediate but slow and they still needed to be expressed more than normal but I am happy to report that I believe she is fully cured now!!! It has been over a year and they have not even needed expressing(vet checked). I honestly believe it is because the Missing Link must have gotten into her system enough to provide her whatever it is she needs to maintain healthy glands ha! At any rate she will be on it for life as I don't want to have anal sac issues anymore.

Guest happygrey

What are some symptoms of needing anal glands expressed? Roscoe can be obsessive about licking his butt.

I think that sort of licking may be one of them. I think the real classic sign is dogs sitting down and dragging their bottoms on a rug or floor. But since most greys don't really sit, I'm not sure they do that.

Bentley's full glands were discovered on his first routine trip to the vet, and she's been tracking them ever since to see if they improve.

Edited by happygrey

Kare Bear has needed her anal glands expressed every so often. She and Tessie are on 50-50 Taste of the Wild Salmon and Eagle Pack Holistic mix. Nighttime snack is a hand of Core Wellness. My question to the vet was poop size, but he stated that they are finding that really doesn't matter anymore. He said some dogs just have more issues with them than others, and also mentioned allergies as being an aggravator of anal issues!

Kare Bears sign of a problem was glancing back at her hind end. The first time I noticed her doing that, I thought the worst and got her right in for an exam. It did not take long for the vet to say she had issues and expressed them. I cannot believe what a different dog I brought home after it was done. She was stinky, but after a bath, she was a zoomie dog again, and hasn't looked back once. Now we know to have her checked there often.

Gracie has not had any anal gland problems since one ruptured a few years ago. It began with obscessive licking back there. When I came home from work one day the skin had burst. My vet said she had been in some pain prior to that and the rupture would have given her relief. She got a course of antibiotics and was fine.

Pudge gets her glands expressed several times a year. Each episode starts with scooting her hiney on the carpet. Then there's an odor worse than any you've ever smelled before. She now gets the Metamusil capsules.

Here's pictures of Gracie's ruptured gland. Warning : it's icky. :blink:

DSC02970_edited.jpg

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Merlin has a chronic issue with his anal glands :( Now we go to the vet to have them expressed every three months or so, pre-emptively. He gets Metamucil in his food every day, twice a day.

gallery_15587_3582_3452.jpg

Kerry with Pippin (Paid Vacation), adopted 4/15/2017
Missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin (PA's Paris), the biggest Love I've ever known, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan (Leon B) :brokenheart :brokenheart, every single day.

• 7 months later...
Guest akgs13

Thank you so much for this thread! Molly has not shown any interested in her rump, but today, her anal gland ruptured. Obviously we were very concerned. (contacted our vet and so on)

She looks very much like the above photo. She was due to see the vet next week! Her timing is off. blush.gif

Poor Molly. Could you please tell me what the Meramucil does? Thank you!

Edited to say ~ Her poop is firm and I do not know how such a little girl creates such a huge pile.

Edited by akgs13

Thank you so much for this thread! Molly has not shown any interested in her rump, but today, her anal gland ruptured. Obviously we were very concerned. (contacted our vet and so on)

She looks very much like the above photo. She was due to see the vet next week! Her timing is off. blush.gif

Poor Molly. Could you please tell me what the Meramucil does? Thank you!

Edited to say ~ Her poop is firm and I do not know how such a little girl creates such a huge pile.

I'm glad Gracie's arse could be of help to someone. :lol With a little antibiotics she healed very quickly and has not had problems since.

Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz, Rita the podenco maneta
Angels: Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

There's an unproven theory that firmer stool will help express the anal glands as it passes through the retcum. IMO it's just that-- unproven. I have expressed anal glands on dogs that had rock hard stool. Personally, I think it's more allergy related but, honestly no one really knows why some dogs build more than others.

Guest dmona

Most groomers will also express anal glands. As long as they are not infected, it may be easier & cheaper to have a groomer do it for you.

My Eddie has had this problem for the last 3-4 years. He has to have his expressed every 4-6 weeks. He takes Missing Link and it has increased the time in between vet visits. I can always tell when it is time as he licks his bum so much, the hair around it is sloppy wet. I would not recommend that a groomer do it...they express from the outside and the vet techs express from the inside which is more likely to get it all and from what I understand is better for them.

Dianne

There's an unproven theory that firmer stool will help express the anal glands as it passes through the retcum. IMO it's just that-- unproven. I have expressed anal glands on dogs that had rock hard stool. Personally, I think it's more allergy related but, honestly no one really knows why some dogs build more than others.

Your theory may be correct. My mutt girl Pudge has allergies and anal gland issues, yet her poop is very firm.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest happygrey

I also think this is unproven. I've played around with Bentley's diet and given him bone to make them small and hard as well as fiber to make them big and firm. (Note: his poops are firm almost 100% of the time anyway) Neither made a difference. We stopped and our vet just checks him every once in a while. The last time he had them expressed at the vet's office, she put in some anti-fungal and antibiotic cream in the emptied glands. She said she believes that he's just got wonky glands. :blink: I'm inclined to agree. I think it's just how he is.

No matter, we love him anyway. :lol