Thyroid Medication

Roscoe is on a low dose of thyro-tabs. Since starting the medication a little over a month ago, he has changed. I can only assume it's the side-effects from the meds, but I want o hear what others with experience have to say to ease my mind a little.

The changes:

*He used to have great poops, and went twice a day. Now, he poops all the time. He probably goes 4-6 times a day now. There is no urgency or anything, it all appears 'normal'. He often goes twice on one walk.. God it's annoying. As I'm picking up one pile, I look over, and he's squatting again in a different spot. The consistency has changed from great to so-so, but again, not pudding or anything, they're usually formed, just soft. I'm really hating his new potty habits.

*He drinks a lot more water. Like 2 to 3 times more. I don't think it's excessive though, because before he barely ever drank.

*He used to put himself to bed at night, and not get up until I kicked him out of bed in the morning. Whether it was 7 or 10 AM, he didn't move until I did. Now he gets up earlier. Usually when the sun comes up, he moves to the living room. Then after a while he comes back to the bedroom. Then back to the living room. If it's a weekend and I'm sleeping too late he gets whiny.

*He has a little more pep in his step. A little more bouncy on walks, and he can last longer without running out of steam. He's also been engaging Sage in a little bit of play.

*I swear he's gotten more stubborn. :angry:

*He's shedding. Not a ton, but he NEVER used to shed, now he does.

I think that about covers it. Not all of these things are bad necessarily, I just want to make sure these changes are normal with thyroid meds, and there isn't something else going on with him.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Passion became less whiny (if that's possible:lol)

Her fur is super soft but everyone is shedding because it's so hot

That's all I've noticed with her and it's been a year that she's been on meds

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

The extra energy/sleeping less is a normal and hoped for effect of correcting the low thyroid levels. If he's being more stubborn, that may be because he's feeling better.

As to the poop question, I don't know. I'd call your vet if your concerned.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Lisa, I don't have any experience with dogs and thyroid meds, but as someone who takes them myself (and deals with a hyperthyroid kitty), while we're waiting for more folks to chime in I'll note my reaction that some of what you describe sounds like possible over-medication to me. Definitely signs of a speeded-up metabolism, which is what you'd expect, but possibly too speeded up?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Everything you mentioned is exactly what happened with Gee. Suddenly she was up and moving around. She goes to the bathroom more than she did without the meds. Her energy level is great compared to the lump she used to be. As for the hair, I would think that's more weather related and the poops may be an after effect of the illness both you pups just had.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Lisa, I don't have any experience with dogs and thyroid meds, but as someone who takes them myself (and deals with a hyperthyroid kitty), while we're waiting for more folks to chime in I'll note my reaction that some of what you describe sounds like possible over-medication to me. Definitely signs of a speeded-up metabolism, which is what you'd expect, but possibly too speeded up?

This is very possible. He was prescribed 1 pill, twice a day. In a little over a month he went from 92 lbs to 78 lbs (!) So I've taken it apon myself to cut his dose to one pill per day, and I've upped his food intake a bit. He's due to get re-tested soon.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe

Carl, before thyroid medication, held a record of 7 poop stops on one walk. Two years on thyroid meds haven't changed that, last week he actually surpassed his own record...8 poop stops on one walk. So, I can't say the meds and extra pooping have anything to do with it from my experience with him. His skin got better and his personality lightened up a bit and his corneal rings improved. Carl weighs 72 - 75 lbs and gets one .7 tab of Soloxine per day (1/2 in the morning 1/2 in the evening).

If you are worried, I'd take him to the vet, too and consider retesting.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Energy11

This is very possible. He was prescribed 1 pill, twice a day. In a little over a month he went from 92 lbs to 78 lbs (!) So I've taken it apon myself to cut his dose to one pill per day, and I've upped his food intake a bit. He's due to get re-tested soon.

Sounds like he is taking a higher dosage than he needs. Vets tend to over-prescribe thyroid meds for these dogs. Curfew was originally prescribed 0.8 mg twice a day. Now, is on 1/2 the dosage, and his tyroid levels are within normal limits without being TOO high. He is more active at night, and poops A LOT, as well, but I actually have to WATCH his weight. It has been far far tooooo hot to walk them. I am hoping for better sleep and less weight, once they can be active again.

I'd have the thyroid levels checked, as they might be TOO high. Good Luck!

Might not be hypothyroid at all. Was a full panel run?? Tsh high? Per Dr Couto very few hounds are actually hypothyroid and most hounds are grossly misdiagnosed. Keep in mind that with supplementation your dog will have more energy as we would too-- doesn't mean that they need the supplement.

Might not be hypothyroid at all. Was a full panel run?? Tsh high? Per Dr Couto very few hounds are actually hypothyroid and most hounds are grossly misdiagnosed. Keep in mind that with supplementation your dog will have more energy as we would too-- doesn't mean that they need the supplement.

Definitely something to consider. One vet had Goldie on 0.5mg twice a day for years. When changed vets new vet who knew greyts better announced he wasn't even hypothyroidal to begin with and gave me a protocol to wean him off which I did. he never took another one and crossed over years later with no hypothyroidal symptoms at all. He didn't need it to begin with.

Another thought.

Patrick will go until he's literally out of anything on a walk, it seems to be some sort of marking. He doesn't do this in his yard though, he sticks to his normal schedule. Have you started walking more or longer, now that he has more energy?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Houndstown

I agree. While all the behavior you indicated is normal, even the pooping, the weight loss would bother me. One of our pups is on thyroid meds and we cut the dose back to 1 a day in lieu of 2 because we couldn't feed him enough to keep the weight on him. The pills helped at first but then he dropped back down due to over medication. You're doing the right thing. Just keep up the good work of watching out for your hound!!

Guest LindsaySF

What was Roscoe's racing weight? The weight loss would only concern me if he is far below his ideal weight. If I remember correctly Roscoe was getting a little chubby, isn't that part of why you tested his thyroid? I agree that the shedding is probably seasonal, and the pooping might be marking. Is his urine still a normal color? If so I wouldn't worry too much about the increased water intake either.

Roscoe's racing weight was 78 if I recall correctly. That's where he is now. Trust me, he doesn't look thin by any means. He's a solidly built boy. He was definitely getting very chubby.. he has a nice waist now! Still, you can barely see his hip point, barely see the last rib, and you can see 2 nubs of spine. That's it. He doesn't even have a high tuck. He looks pretty good, but I was shocked with the amount of weight lost in a month.

Yep, urine is still normal color.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

How many mg. a day is he taking, and is he taking it with or without food? The pills come in different sizes. Have you had him retested now that he's on the medication? (I can't remember how long you wait, but a month sounds about right.)

I agree--sounds like he's getting too much.

My last dog was on thyroid meds, and once the dose was right, he just acted NORMAL. It was before the meds that he was off. My parents also have a dog on thyroid meds; totally normal. He should not be shedding any more than normal.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

How many mg. a day is he taking, and is he taking it with or without food? The pills come in different sizes. Have you had him retested now that he's on the medication? (I can't remember how long you wait, but a month sounds about right.)

.8 mg. He takes it with his dinner. He is due to be re-tested.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg