Behaviorial Issue

Guest LindsaySF

A bully stick is a high-value item. A dog that doesn't normally resource guard might do so with a bully stick. Some other items that can cause that reaction are rawhides, pig ears, etc. Pig ears cause WW3 in my house, we don't even bother with them anymore.

Never had an issue before Miss Maggie and her "penis".

:spoot That's the funniest thing I've read today! :lol :lol :lol

As Lindsay says, sometimes there's just one trigger, one highly valued treat, which triggers the aggression. And yes, even after owning multiple dogs there can still be one that surprises you and makes you wonder if all the rest were just 'lucky picks'. Mine was Susan, who wanted to kill everything she saw. I also had one cat among many who quite simply did not like us. She wouldn't wash, she regularly peed in inappropriate places, and generally behaved as if she was loopy. We let her go to a different family in the end (very reluctantly, and only after I developed big allergy problems) and she blossomed into a quite different, and very contented cat.

Edited for spelling

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

A bully stick is the only thing that has made Ellie growl in 6 months.

As others have said, treats are useless. You need something even more high value. We use a big chunk of chop meat. Hold it close to her and tell her "leave it." When she drops the bully stick, praise, give her the meat and take the bully stick away. She may still look for it, but at least she got something good in return.