From Full To Overstuffed.

Meet Back Already, "Backer", here in one of her adoption pics from GRA Canada's Adoptables page:

GRABacker02.jpg

As usual, I have a short story and a long story, and lots of pics.

The Short Story:

Backer is red, 10 1/2, and has been a racer and a broodie. She arrived at GRA Canada in mid-July. I managed to resist for a month and then I caved. I brought her home just over a week ago. I've renamed her Cal.

The Long Story:

According to greyhound-data, Backer ran 31 races at Wheeling. It looks like she raced before and possibly after that, so she probably logged a lot more races. In 2005 she had two litters (8 pups listed). I don't know if there were other litters, but she has not had pups recently. I don't know what she's been doing--perhaps hanging out on a farm somewhere--but she ended up travelling to Canada with a load of dogs from Birmingham. She arrived at GRA Canada on July 17.

On the 18th, I went to a greyhound event. Heather of GRA told me that two older broodies had just arrived. I was at my limit, so I asked her to tell Bill not to call me.

When the new dogs were added to the Adoptables page, I looked up the broodies. One was almost 8. She was soon adopted. The other--Backer--was 10 1/2 (DOB December 7/99). I lost three 10 1/2 year olds--all of them '99 models and two of them broodies--between October and March, so I thought Backer needed to find her home fast. Of course, it didn't have to be my home--Bill has a remarkable record of placing older dogs--but I hoped she'd be adopted soon. Every week I checked the updated page. Every week she was still there.

On Monday August 16, Backer borrowed Heather's computer and sent me an email. She told me that she was enjoying her time at GRA, but had been promised that there would be an even better place for her in the future. She said she'd been to the vet for her spay and dental (she lost 22 teeth), and she was starting to feel better; she also said she'd put on some weight and her coat was getting shiny. She included a number of pics of herself in the turnout yard: some of her wandering and sniffing, one of her fuzzy butt (one of my weaknesses), one of her now gap-tooth grin, and this one, which pretty much did me in:

GRABackerH09.jpg

I sent her a reply which did not open the door. But I then spent several days trying to figure out how I could cram another crate into the house, and whether I could possibly find the time and strength for still more walking.

By Friday the 20th, I was trying to decide whether to call, or wait another week to see if someone adopted her.

I called.

I left a message for Backer, saying that if she had not yet found a home, I would come and get her. When she returned the call--using Bill's phone and voice--she told me I could pick her up Saturday the 21st.

I arrived during morning chores. She happened to be in the turnout area, and she was interested. I didn't think much of it: some dogs notice visitors and some don't. By the time I got organized and went into the kennel, she was back in her crate. I went and visited her for a bit, and she was very friendly. While the volunteer--GTer DorasMom--took care of the remaining dogs, I was in the front area talking to Bill. As she finished, DorasMom pointed out that Backer had not taken her eyes off the door to the front area. I thought Backer was just waiting for the breakfast that should have been served when she was returned to her crate.

Once turnout was completed, DorasMom let Backer out, and she joined the three of us in the front area. She was very interested in me. Even when she was saying goodbye to Bill and DorasMom, she kept glancing at me.

I went out for a few minutes, and she tried to follow. Released to the turnout area, she followed me along, and I could hear her whining when I was out of sight. When it was time to leave, she came with me quite happily and hopped right into the car.

After the long drive home, she went for walks with my existing crew. She was great with the other greys. She did, however, seem to think that Perry was a giant stuffie. She darted at her a few times. Once she realized that Perry is actually a woolly dog, she lost interest.

She had the opposite reaction to the cats. As is her wont, Harriet the Spy sat on the stairs and stared at the newcomer. Backer looked away, looked back, and looked away again. I thought, "Bonus, this one's going to be easy." Turns out she lied. She's actually fascinated. We're working on that.

I can't call her Backer because I'm forever telling some dog or other to "back up", so I've renamed her Cal after a Great Aunt (actual name Carol) who was a wonderful woman--one of those relatives whom all the kids adored.

After 4 1/2 days, she chomped one of the stuffies (not Perry) that she'd previously only sniffed, and, while playing, finally settled on a dog bed. She's still pretty tense, but she's enjoying her walks and meals and scritches. I'm sure that once she figures out all the new stuff, she'll relax and enjoy her retirement.

The Pics:

Saying goodbye to Bill (DorasMom to the left) while keeping an eye on me:

CAIntro01.jpg

Totally stressed the first night (her remaining teeth are clean, but they're a weird yellow-orange):

CAIntro02.jpg

With Graham (left, red fawn). Not a great shot, but it gives you an idea how much smaller and redder she is. (Jessie in the background.) The goofy look on his face is because I'm scratching one of his many itchy spots. It's been a bad summer for those with seasonal itchies:

CAIntro03.jpg

"You aren't going to take this away just to brush my teeth, are you?"

CAIntro04.jpg

Enjoying a walk:

CAIntro05.jpg

Demonstrating that she has stuffies figured out. (Edie in the background):

CAIntro06.jpg

On Friday, looking much calmer:

CAIntro07.jpg

She loves to stand at the front window and watch the world go by:

CAIntro08.jpg

"I know you're up there, kitteh. Come down and say hello."

CAIntro09.jpg

Yeehaw! She could stand to put on a couple more pounds (I'm glad I didn't see her when she was even thinner). Note the black on her tail:

CAIntro10.jpg

Finally, on Saturday night, she flopped down on a bed when she wasn't actually playing with a stuffie. Surrounded by them, yes, but not actually playing. She got restless when I got up to get the camera, but I did manage to catch one pic (Sunday night she was briefly bum-to-bum with Graham):

CAIntro11.jpg

On Sunday morning after breakfast, watching me straighten the living room. It's hard to believe that her nose is comfortable:

CAIntro12.jpg

Sunday afternoon, proving that she's not shy about selecting another toy:

CAIntro13.jpg

Bill said she's a very happy dog. I think she's going to have fun here. :)

Welcome Home Cal!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

It's not often you find a greyhound with computer skills. Obviously Bill doesn't have his computer password protected. :P

She's a beauty though. :wub:

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

She's lovely! I saw her lots on the adoptable's page, too. If I was going to get a 2nd one, I would so seriously be interested in the broodies! And if you're close enough (I see you're "near Toronto"), maybe you can bring her to a SSG run one weekend! Here's the link so you can join: SSG , if you're interested. Congratulations!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

She doesn't look anything like her age, does she? Hope she and Harriet are coming to terms. Congratulations to all of you!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Welcome home, sweet girl!

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Guest hannahmom

Woohoo - the secret is out. :confetti

I've been biting my tongue

Welcome home beautiful Cal; you are going to enjoy this retirement thing soo much.

You've got lots of sisters ( and somehow one brother :P ) who can help you wrap the Momma around your pretty little paw ;)

Lub Aunty Tena

Congratulations! She is a lucky pup! :yay

She also looks a lot like my Lila; sabling on her neck, striped tail, one ear that stands up and one that doesn't.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

i think you're both going to have a blast! Congratulations to both of you!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.