Dominance Training And "corrections"

Guest amandagal

kudzu, your post was great, no apologies needed! I just repeated the one nugget that summed it all up :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest manders4

I'm an educator and the similarity this discussion has to discussion on how to manage a classroom has given me pause. Almost the EXACT principals apply to both. In order to have a class of students who behave and care about what they are doing, the teacher needs to be calm and consistent. Now, with teaching, treats shouldn't be relied upon as much as with dogs. However, I did read somewhere that having a relationship with your dog is very necessary and that we shouldn't rely on just treats. I doubt that anyone would, but it does make it even more similar to teaching to me.

So, basically, one needs to just be a good leader and make the dog want to do what we want him/her to do. And that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be firm when necessary. If we are consistent but loving at the same time, we will have loving and cooperative pets.

***I hope I'm on the right track here. I'm definitely new to this!