Duke - The Dook Of Url - I'll Win For Dad

Guest vtgreys

Guest vtgreys

I still cannot believe I had to say goodbye to my wonderful Duke just 2 months and 1 day after losing Jaxie. He was supposed to be with me for a few more years (lots more if it was up to me), but it was not meant to be. He was healthy and happy just 3 weeks ago, enjoying some nice walks around the neighborhood, and recovering nicely from his dental. Then, he had some difficulty getting up on the couch or bed, not a big deal, he was 11 after all, so I gave him a little help. Then he started losing weight rapidly, despite eating - I was hand feeding him 4 meals a day, lots of protein, anything he would eat. His rear end was getting so weak that he couldn't get up by himself, but would wobble along ok after I helped him up. This all happened in such a short period of time, I took him to the vet of course, who ran bloodtests which showed signs of an infection - slightly elevated kidney, moderately elevated liver and a very high WBC. So we treated him with 2 broad spectrum antibiotics, and I continued to feed him, help him etc. The antibiotics should have started showing some results by the following weekend, but didn't. That's when it became clear that this was not an infection, and the big C was likely what it was. Believe me, we talked at length about whether there was anything we could do to help him perk up, but with his rapid decline, there really wasn't. So I made him as comfortable as I could at home. By Sunday, he couldn't even stay up after I helped him up, and by Monday he refused even the most tempting and tasty morsels I would offer him. He was close to me all the time, I spent most of my time on the floor/dogbed with him and then made the heartwrenching decision to take him in to the vet on Wednesday. He was ready, even though I wasn't. He took his last breath at 1:15 Wednesday afternoon in my lap and in my arms.

As Meri (Rhodygreys) can attest, Duke was the perfect dog, he had really no bad habits at all (other than the occasional waking me up at 3 am to go out), and was the biggest snugglebunny out of all the greys I've had. He was never content sleeping at the foot of my bed, he had to be right up next to me, bodies touching, and preferably his head on my pillow along with mine. If he wanted something, like a treat or a walk, and I wouldn't react fast enough, he'd stomp his feet. He only found his forever home with me in January of 2008, just shy of his 9th birthday. Until the last couple of weeks, he never showed his age, everyone thought he was younger. I had to remind myself sometimes that 2 1/2 years had passed, and obviously he wasn't 9 anymore, but to me he always was. I just don't understand why he had to leave me so soon.

post-7346-1283125728059_thumb.jpg

What a sweet handsome boy. I'm sorry that you had to say goodbye. Godspeed, beloved Duke.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest happygrey

So sorry to hear of the loss of your boy Duke. :grouphug It must really hurt to lose two good friends in such a short span of time. I loved reading your tribute to Duke. Hearing how he'd stomp his feet when he thought you were slow with things really made me smile.

f_yellow

Edited by happygrey

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very sorry for your loss, it is so hard being blind-sided. :bighug

Run with the angels Sweet Duke you are with the very very best ~

No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough.

I am so sorry for the loss of your very special Duke.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I'm so very sorry. :cry1 I wish he could have stayed longer.

Godspeed Duke.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Owie.... I am so very sorry for your loss.

Someone shared with me recently what they were told when they lost their rescued Boston girl after just five months...

"Whether she was in your life for 5 days, 5 months, or 5 years, you were the one chosen to make the end of her life be one of the most enjoyable times she had ever had. That was your gift to her, and her gift to you was unconditional love."

It's as true for your Duke as it is for my Angie-girl.

And Sir Walter Scott once said:

"The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon.

But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died,

what would become of me?"

No matter how long we have them with us, it's not enough.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Sigrun, I know we haven't met, but it feels as though I know Duke through your words, and he was truly one of the best, so very well loved, and my heart breaks with yours. I'm so very sorry that he couldn't stay with you longer, but hope that the love you shared brings you comfort.

What a wonderful, loving presence he was in your life. Bless you for opening your heart and home to a senior.

I'm so sorry you lost your precious Duke.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown