Lyme Vaccine

Guest vmom

What is the current thoughts/recommendations regarding the Lyme vaccine. I understand the older vaccine is not recommended due to side effects, but that a newer vaccine has recently come out.

Is the newer vaccine recommended or not? Had my first visit to the vet and he is recommending the Lyme vaccine (the newer version). It consists of 2 shots 2 to 4 weeks apart.

Wouldn't recommend it.

Can you let us know why? I have not researched the new vaccine. Am pretty minimalist on vaccines but with the seemingly greater prevelance of ticks in our area & growing numbers of dogs I know personally who have contracted Lyme, I am starting to wonder if I should investigate it more.

Thanks in advance.

We keep our travel trailer in South Jersey for the summer. Since we are in the woods for the entire season, we have opted to give our dogs the lyme's vaccine the past two years. They got the two shots last year and one booster this year. They had no side or ill effects. In this case, for us, better safe than sorry.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

All of mine had the Lymes vaccine,,, the 2 shot version,,, I live a high deer tick area,, and my dogs are always in the woods,, before the vaccine was available I had a dog with Lymes,, and I will do anything I can to help not to get it again,,, as you know nothing is 100%,,, but I'll take my chances,, each has their own thoughts here,, I'm for it,, there is also,, a new school of though regarding heartworm preventive too (not to use it) , :huh ,,, don't think I'll follow that new idea either ,,,,even though heartworm in not an issue here in my part of the world ,,,,even in human vaccines and preventive meds,, there is risk,, and conflicting views,,, one must weigh it up themselves :)

I use it. But I'm in a lyme area, and pretty pro-vaccine.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We are also in a high Lyme's area. I've had it, two of our dogs had it so we've opted to have them vaccinated for Lyme.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest ProudGreyMom

I have never gotten the Lyme vaccine for any of my dogs. They wear preventative, we have never even seen a tick in over 10 years at our house and they receive the test along with their regular blood tests and have always been clear. They only one I might consider it for is my beagle Molly because she would be in the woods more often with nose/ears to the ground and getting into the taller grass. Andy barely even goes for walks these days and when he does it is mostly on the road.