Poor Dewey

When we adopted Dewey in March, he had a -lot- of Hookworms. Our vet has been treating him since then, and the Hookworms have been slowly diminishing in number, but they're still there.

About 5-6 days ago Dewey began to get loose stools which had a few spots of red. I began to feed him rice with his kibble and the next day it was bloody diarrhea - About 60% blood and 40% stool. He went to the vet, who was unfortunately not our regular greyhound-savvy vet we love, but I felt it was necessary he get seen. Dewey got his next dose of dewormer and anti-biotics.

We initially thought it might be a virus, as our 12-year old IG had an episode at the E-Vet for diarrhea that was mostly blood. (He recovered completely :) )

The next day we got on the phone to our regular vet who said the Hookworms were definately causing it, and to keep feeding him rice with his kibble and to give him a teaspoon of pepto with his meal for a few days.

After he started the anti-biotics, the red stool went back to just having blood spots, and last night/this morning he's had stools with no blood in, but they're still very loose.

At this point he's had diarrhea for about 5-6 days. It may have 'firmed up' very slightly from when this began but it's still too loose/watery. Should I be worried he's had diarrhea for that long? He's perfectly himself other than having the diarrhea.. if he were ever to become lethargic of course I would rush him to the E-vet, but he seems normal. He does not appear dehydrated or weak. He's still bouncing around and being Dewey-man.. still eager for his food and his toys.

I tried to find some canned pumpkin to 'bulk' his stool out but the stores keep telling me it's the wrong season :angryfire

Does anybody else have any experience with Hookworms like this, or diarrhea for more than 6 days? I'm really worried :(

My Stella has had very stubborn hookworms as well -- every time we think we have them beat, they come back. They are a bloody insidious parasite in my book. What are you using as a dewormer, for how many days in succession and at what intervals (if Panacur for three days in a row three weeks apart twice, isn't wiping them out, perhaps talk to your vet about dosing for five days in a row?). Is there a chance that Dewey is getting reinfected from the yard or other areas? Are you checking to make sure he's not getting dehydrated?

Psyllium husk (plain) can be used in place of canned pumpkin, and a paste of slippery elm can also help calm and heal the digestive tract. A search here for hookworms turns up some posts that may be very helpful to you. You may want to fast him for 24 hours and then start a boiled bland diet, all fat drained off. I really sympathise with you and Dewey, and hope he's rid of the hookworms and diarrhea soon.

My Stella has had very stubborn hookworms as well -- every time we think we have them beat, they come back. They are a bloody insidious parasite in my book. What are you using as a dewormer, for how many days in succession and at what intervals (if Panacur for three days in a row three weeks apart twice, isn't wiping them out, perhaps talk to your vet about dosing for five days in a row?). Is there a chance that Dewey is getting reinfected from the yard or other areas? Are you checking to make sure he's not getting dehydrated?

Psyllium husk (plain) can be used in place of canned pumpkin, and a paste of slippery elm can also help calm and heal the digestive tract. A search here for hookworms turns up some posts that may be very helpful to you. You may want to fast him for 24 hours and then start a boiled bland diet, all fat drained off. I really sympathise with you and Dewey, and hope he's rid of the hookworms and diarrhea soon.

Up until a few days ago I had no idea that dogs can catch Hookworms simply by walking over ground they're in.. When I take him out now, I move him to a different patch of grass each time (Luckily the yard is more of a field) If I'd known before I think that would have helped fight them :(

The dewormer was Drontal, 45lbs+ I'm not sure when his next dose is due, I'll call my vet tomorrow and find out..

Thank you for the suggestions, I will see if I can find anything..

You may want to be dosing the spots Dewey uses with a bleach solution or a heavy application of diatomaceous earth. A WebMD article that may shed some light on the ways hooks become so persistent. Stella's are probably because she still has egg cysts. Drontal Plus did nothing to alleviate her hooks, so our vet has been recommending Panacur. Please also note that fecal exams for hooks are about 50% accurate... it is frustrating.

Could it be a bacterial infection, like a SIBO? Seems too extreme for hookworm. We have experienced both, and you and Dewey have all our sympathies and best wishes!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Could it be a bacterial infection, like a SIBO? Seems too extreme for hookworm. We have experienced both, and you and Dewey have all our sympathies and best wishes!

Would antibiotics have cleared that up though? He's still on his 7-day course of them... the blood seems to have stopped thanks to those but the loose stools still remain :(

Edited by starhound

What kind of antibiotic is he on? My vet uses Panacur as well, 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months. I would think the Drontal would be long gone by the time eggs

hatch in his gut, hence the repeated dosings of Panacur.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Not sure why the antibiotic - worms aren't a bacteria. I'd ask the vet for panacur, and be prepared to treat him with more than one round of it (usually a few doses per round). Then put him on a worm preventive like ivermectin to keep them from taking root again. If it really is just the worms, bland diet, pumpkin, etc., won't do a thing for him. His gut is probably upset, but the worms have to be treated first, and then deal with the symptoms. You have my sympathies - I had a nightmare of a time getting rid of them in Bootsy when we first brought him home. Took 3 rounds of Panacur, and that stuff is not cheap.

Good luck!!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Nope, the antibiotic wouldn't be for worms. But hookworm damage leaves the intestines ripe for colonization by bacteria. It took three antibiotics to clear Spencer of his SIBO, after a poop culture identified Clostridium as the bacterium infecting him -- two strains of it also. So if his soft poop persists and is unusually rank-smelling and yellow/orange, I'd ask for a poop culture. What antibiotic is he on, Flagyl perhaps?

Meanwhile, Drontal and Panacur are both good, and some cases require both -- serially, not at the same time. Drontal became easier for us by virtue of being a pill. An 80-lb dog requires a LOT of Panacur powder and, if the appetite is off, it may be hard to get them to eat the food with it in it.

ETA: Actually, IIRC, dogs with hookworm do get a bit of benefit from taking Flagyl. For that matter, so do IBD dogs, and I can't explain that either!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

He is on Flagyl at the moment, which seemed to take the blood out of his poop and make it a more healthy colour...(At least that's a step forward..) will call my vet tomorrow though and mention the other dewormers you guys mentioned. :) Also great idea to bleach the areas he's pooped on before - Thank you all.

Edited by starhound

Flagyl is an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties. That's why it's used so often for diarrhea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ishapespace

Just keep an eye on it. We had adopters lose both their greys to leptospirosis a month or so ago. Started off as bloody diarrhea and vomiting and degraded to kidney failure. Just be careful.

Tractor had hookworms. You have to use Ivermectin or you'll never get rid of them. You can use the same kind they use on cows (Tractor Supply has it) and you use 1/10 cc for every 10 lbs of body weight. It usually only takes once. But if you need a redose, wait a week. DO NOT DOSE ANY HIGHER than 1/10 cc for every 10 lbs though. I had a lab eat a whole tube of apple flavored horse dewormer, that was a trip to the vet...

Missing Hiro, Tank, and Tractor