On August 29, 2007

Pippin

my tribute to my heart dog

A New Star in the Heavens... 8/29/07

the one-year remembrance

the two-year remembrance

It's time for my annual post about how wonderful my Angie-girl was - my first-ever greyhound, the one who started it all, for me.

She's the one who taught me that a hound's color is irrelevant, it's the heart that counts. You see, I wanted a black dog, preferably a senior, and a retired brood sounded perfect.

Greyt Friends had 2 retired broods, one of whom was black. The black girl (Andi) was being fostered, along with several other dogs, by the group prez. There were so many right then because a greyhound farm in FL had recently closed due to the owner's ill health. I looked at all of their pictures on the group's website, and kept coming back to the black senior female. I was certain Andi was my dog.

So one day I headed to Marietta to meet the dogs. Dee insisted I meet all of them, not just the one I thought I wanted. She introduced them one at a time, and each of them came up to me, sniffed, let me pet them, hung around until she moved them away for the next dog's turn. White dogs, black dogs, fawns, brindles, even the younger dogs - I met them all.

Andi, the black female, was a sweet girl, petite and friendly, who stayed by my side most of the afternoon, letting me pet her, introducing me to the "greyhound lean," just all around being a perfect greyhound.

But there was another dog, that I met right before I met Andi. A senior female, retired brood named Wigwam Angela. Technically, her color was called "red fawn," but to me she looked like a "yeller dawg," pretty much the color of Old Yeller in the movie. When I came in to the dogs' room, Angela was lying on a raised bed, just watching everything going on. When Dee called her name, Angela left her bed and walked over to me. I knelt down so she could see me better, and after looking me in the eyes, she licked my chin. Then she went back to her raised bed and laid down again, and watched me for the rest of my visit.

As I said, Andi was a sweet girl, petite and friendly, who stayed by my side most of the afternoon, and she was the dog I thought I was going there to get. But Angie stole my heart when she licked my chin, and I wound up adopting the "yeller dawg," mother of 5 litters (22 pups total), who was finally retired at 10 1/2 years old. She came home to me right before Mother's Day in 2003, which I thought was appropriate, since she was a retired mama-dog.

She was the perfect first greyhound for me - calmly accepting whatever happened, never phased by anything. She would look at me with those great brown eyes of her, and I would do whatever she wanted, including choosing a yeller dawg when I was on my way to adopt a black one. Except I didn't really choose her, she chose me. And I'm forever grateful that she did.

Because she chose me,

I have experienced the adaptability of an "old" dog as she learned new tricks.

Because she chose me,

I have learned how much love I can feel for another being.

Because she chose me,

I have experienced the joy of her behavior changing over the years

from aloof to affectionate.

Because she loved me,

she adapted to unstructured routines and routine absences.

Because she loved me,

she accepted the other dogs I brought into our home,

and let them share the space in my heart.

Because I loved her,

there were new beds at Christmas, and no walks longer than her aging legs could handle.

Because I loved her,

there were nights spent on the couch with interruptions every few hours.

Because I loved her,

there were home-cooked meals and special treats, and fewer nights away from home.

Because she loved me,

she stood up for me, balancing on tired legs to show me she was ok

and I could leave on my business trip with a clear conscience.

Because I loved her, I let her go.

My heart is breaking

because I couldn't be there at the end, but it was time to let go,

and I had promised her I would,

because I loved her.

And because I loved her and she loved me,

she will run forever in my heart,

Because she chose me.

-mvy 9/1/07-

gallery_2125_2882_341317.jpg

17593382.jpg

17594457.jpg

16554117.jpg

75323144.jpg

21220874.jpg

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful girl.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I've just got to stop reading these remembrances. Now I have to go and re-do my eye makeup before I can go out. But, really, that was a beautiful tribute and your girl was stunning!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest IndysDad

Darn allergies.....

Although they're physically gone, they're in our hearts forever...

I wish I had a mere second with each and every Bridge dog, just to tell them I love them and miss them.

Edited by IndysDad

So much love, and she is still with you now. Angie was gorgeous -- and look how happy she was with you! -- I too learned to love the "yeller dogs". Thank you for sharing her with us, and I'm sharing some tears with you.

Baby girl :wub: :wub: . Your star will shine forever, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I want to Thank You for that beautiful poem. I was lucky enough to have a black little girl who stole my heart from the moment she came off the hauler.

Lucky enough to have had her for 8 years, watching her come from being a shy girl of almost 2 to 10 yrs and 3 days before losing her to TCC. This made me remember so much and am still missing her since Jan. THANK YOU !!

I remember Angie. She was very special and absolutely beautiful. Your poem was a moving tribute to a wonderful hound. flowers_red.gif

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

3 years, how can that be?

I'm so lucky, I got to spend a vacation with Angie. She almost broike my nose because Mary forgot to tell me she didn't like to be kissed. lol.gif

Then early one morning there was big thump and Mary's panicked voice "Angie's stuck" Angie had fell between the wall and the bed. The bed was moved and Angie just lay there like "what? I'm taking a nap here." :lol

I remember this day, all I kept thinking is "please girls like this boy"

75323144.jpg

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

3 years, how can that be?

I'm so lucky, I got to spend a vacation with Angie. She almost broike my nose because Mary forgot to tell me she didn't like to be kissed. lol.gif

Then early one morning there was big thump and Mary's panicked voice "Angie's stuck" Angie had fell between the wall and the bed. The bed was moved and Angie just lay there like "what? I'm taking a nap here." :lol

I remember this day, all I kept thinking is "please girls like this boy"

75323144.jpg

That vacation was the only time in our 4 1/2 years together that Angie snuggled with me on a bed. Our last night at the beach house, she lay beside me and put her head on my shoulder. I hollered for one of the housemates to bring a camera and record the moment (it's on the video in the first post). She spent 15-20 minutes with her head on my shoulder, then rearranged herself. The next morning, she rolled over and fell off the bed, as Janet shared. I don't even know if anyone was awake yet, but I was freaking out. She fell off the bed on the first night of that vacation, too, but that was in a hotel room, so there was more room and she didn't get stuck.

She was accustomed to king-size beds. The vacation beds were smaller, with the same amount of people/dogs trying to sleep on them (except that Zoe would sleep with the others, so they could experience iggy-love).

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Oh how I remember.

Today would have been 3 years Polli was with us. It all happened at once.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Oh how I remember.

Today would have been 3 years Polli was with us. It all happened at once.

Your Polli coming home gave me something to smile about. :)

Oh my I just don't know what to say. grouphug.gif That was the most wonderful, beautiful and moving tribute and oh what a lovely lady. Thank you so much for sharing her- clearly she's more special than words can describe. An angel dog!angelwings.gif Such love. heart.gifflowers_pink.gif

Mary, you know how I felt about Angie - time sure does fly. A gorgeous Angel in the sky - hopefully with her 1/2 brother Alan. Hugs to you.

Susan, you know as I do that those Wigwam Wag kids have a knack for wrapping your hearts around them. I'm confident Alan and Angie met at the bridge, and I'm confident that his love for you is as unending as yours is for him.