She Finally Did It...

Guest Lgyure85

Guest Lgyure85

So we always knew Maddie was high-prey drive. She used to stare at the mouse cage on top of the refrigerator like it was a filet minion. We recently moved into a house, so I have been keeping the rodents in the closet in the spare bedroom, so I could close the closet door if I had to be in there (since, God forbid, I leave her outside of the room I'm in).

Well, the dogs were outside so I had both doors open. DBF let the dogs in, not realizing I had the rodents exposed. A few minutes later I noticed Maddie was carrying something in her mouth. It was Sam, my mouse. She dropped her as soon as I screamed, but it was too late. Sam was twitching on the floor, and DBF had to take her outside and kill her.

I don't really need any advice, I know it was entirely my fault for not paying closer attention, and after the guinea pig goes (hopefully of old age) I won't be having any more small and furries.

Has anyone else's houndie gotten another pet? I feel like I absolutely failed Sam (even though she was almost 3, which is ancient for a mouse).

I think in the years I've been on GT hounds have gotten hold of cats, rabbits, mice and just about any other small animal living in the same house. All the owners felt horrible and like they failed their little ones. I think it's just natural to feel guilty, but accidents happen. Godspeed Sam. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greytluv

I think it's just natural to feel guilty, but accidents happen. Godspeed Sam. I'm so sorry for your loss.

:nod My springer got my bird. I felt terriblesad.gif

Guest greybookends

My first hound got my Nanday and 2 keets in one night while I was asleep. I was asleep and woke up to the most horrible screeching imaginable. When I turned on the lights to the living room she very happily layed the Nanday at my feet. She was so proud of herself. One keet managed to survive the massacre and I gave him to my sister to keep him safe.

I'm so sorry. Run free, little Sam.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My Greyhound is very low prey drive, but our 11 yr old Pointer/Springer has killed two robins this year.

She just leaps into the air and snags them as they're flying by.

Did I mention she is ELEVEN years old!?!

Once a bird dog, always a bird dog....

And as awful as I felt for those poor birdies...she is a bird dog and it is 'nature's way'.

Hugs to you, on your loss of Sam.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I'm sorry about your little Sam, :( ,,, my saying is "dogs is dogs,,is dogs" some have a higher pray drive than others,,, but all have it,,,,after all they are preditors

I don't thnk you should blame yourself at all. I learned from hard experience that we have absolutely no control over when they cross over. We might think we do but we don't. It was just Sam's time to transition and continue her journey elsewhere. I guarantee you she loves you and does NOT feel you failed her. Also many animal communicators will tell you that the spirit typically leaves the body before the body is actually killed by the predator-part of natures predator/ prey grace to prevent suffering in the natural order of things. She was already gone from the body when you found her and did not suffer. JMO but I am very sorry Sam had to cross over (and yes 3 years was a very long time for a mouse) but you had no control over it- you really didn't-so don't feel guilty.grouphug.gif

Edited by racindog

My DD has had many gerbils, hamsters, dwarf hamsters, etc over the past 6 years. Then - she got these 2 awesome dwarf hammies that she TOTALLY ADORED - they were SO cool - so nice - so handleable. She kept them in her bedroom. She only had them for a feew days then - the door was left open - and our Diana made short work of them- she knocked down their tubes and got them. DD was a wreck, I felt terrible, and Diana didn't care a bit. :unsure It sucks when one pet EATS another! :blink:

But - stuff happens. Blame is easy to do - but really - serves no purpose.

Edited by sobesmom

Guest duckbilled

Ike caught a bunny in the yard last year. I was horrified. I called my wife and asked what to do - "Ike has a bunny in his mouth and he won't drop it" She was like, "I don't know what do you want me to do about it?" Thanks hun.

It had to have been the proudest day of his life. He was just beaming.

My neighbor has an outdoor cat and I am waiting for the day that Ike comes to the door with that cat in his mouth. I have warned them but I don't think they really get it.

Anyway, if it is any consolation, I don't think they intend to kill. I think they just want to catch them and and play with them.

Guest Lgyure85

Thanks so much everyone. At the very least, I have learned my lesson. We have Josie (the GP) in the closet of a spare bedroom with a baby gate, so there are three barriers (since the two doors alone weren't sufficient. She's getting old too, so hopefully it will be old age that sends her over. Thanks all!

i was boarding annie and she managed to get into the "bird room" and killed an eclectus parrot! yikes!!!!! she had been hanging out upstairs waiting for just the moment to get her snack.for some reason her body language wasn't acknowleged, annie often will seperate herself and hang in a quiet place, but she was stalking the parrots. i had forewarned the person with whom i board the dogs that i've been cleaning up dead birds in my yard...that she catches a couple a week. both dh and i felt awful, but as it turns out the room wasn't secured properly. watch out for that baby gate, they can push it down if really determined, ask annie!