Getting The Runs

Guest hounddog

Guest hounddog

Ok we need some help. Forti our first grey has been doing very good on TOW Prairie. Now all of a sudden she gets the runs. She has had the regular treats that we have been giving her without any problems. Zukes very berry,mean green and turkey. Dried lamb liver and freezed dried beef liver. Treats are in very small portions.

Guest buttonwillow

Ok we need some help. Forti our first grey has been doing very good on TOW Prairie. Now all of a sudden she gets the runs. She has had the regular treats that we have been giving her without any problems. Zukes very berry,mean green and turkey. Dried lamb liver and freezed dried beef liver. Treats are in very small portions.

Well... Josie gets the runs when... she gets into the cat food (doesn't happen now since we bought the gate)... we change her dog food... she eats a hot dog... she is anxious...

i've been transitioning her to a raw diet and she does not have any problems with that, at all. Nice little neat poops.

It could be almost anything ... if you're not feeding her anything new it might well not be the food. Has she eaten any odd thing outside? Drunk from outside water? Or she might have picked up a bug, or have worms. It's hard to tell most of the time. My vet recommends fasting them for a day, then reintroducing food in smaller more frequent portions (he does not recommend the bland diet, but folks here are all over it, so I don't know what to say about that). If that doesn't work, you should probably go to the vet for a course of Flagyl/metronidazole, which is pretty much the universal first-line treatment for doggie diarrhea, and taking in a stool sample would be a good idea too.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest hounddog

It could be almost anything ... if you're not feeding her anything new it might well not be the food. Has she eaten any odd thing outside? Drunk from outside water? Or she might have picked up a bug, or have worms. It's hard to tell most of the time. My vet recommends fasting them for a day, then reintroducing food in smaller more frequent portions (he does not recommend the bland diet, but folks here are all over it, so I don't know what to say about that). If that doesn't work, you should probably go to the vet for a course of Flagyl/metronidazole, which is pretty much the universal first-line treatment for doggie diarrhea, and taking in a stool sample would be a good idea too.

We did fast for 24 hours no stools. Started on the bland diet and now we have soft cow patties. To our knowledge she hasnt gotten into anything. She does like to nibble on grass and if we dont pick up her poop she will trie to eat it. The other to none greys are fine .Same food and treats and water source( inside water)

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear she has diarrhea. That is NEVER fun :-(

Four of my five are just getting over "cow patty/soft serve" poops. It started the day after two of mine went to the vet for routine exams. They may have picked something up there, BUT, the one dog who eats a prescription diet, never got the diarrhea. We THINK it was the bottom of the food, and it is kept in a plastic tub in the laundry room. It has been VERY hot here for months, and we think the food maybe went a little bad.

Hard to say. ... also might be something going around.

I'd put her on a bland diet ... boiled chicken and rice or prescription Purina EN or Science Diet ID (*have to get these from the vet), for a few days and see how things go.

You just may have picked up a bad bag of TOTW, too.

Hoping it resolves itself soon. If it doesn't of course, I'd see your vet and also bring a stool sample. Good Luck!

The 24 hr fast is always my first line of attack too. Is the bland diet the same protein/carb that she normally gets in her food? If not, she could be reacting to one of the ingredients.

Are you at the beginning or end of a bag of food? At the end it may be stale, at the beginning there could be something wrong with it or they may have changed the formulation (they don't always update the bag right away either).

Guest Greytluv

How much TOTW are you feeding her? Maybe you should cut down on the amount of food and see if that helps. Good luck.

Has Diamond been having trouble with their food? I haven't heard anything :dunno

Information about dealing with diarrhea at Greyhound Gang/Learn/Medical/Diarrhea.

I always have a Slippery Elm Paste/Gel made and in my fridge. Directions on my site. It helps keep the intestinal track healthy. Acidolphilus is also good. As are digestive enzymes.

Look to food, stress, allergies when diarrhea occurs.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang

All Proceeds Help Hounds

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest Stripeyfan

Seconding the slippery elm - Kelly gets this 3X daily to help with his IBD, and we got good advice about the dosage here and on the Greyhound Gang website. We give capsules normally as he isn't keen on the paste, but if he's flaring up we make the paste and get it down him by shredding a little bit of chicken into it. He's also on a probiotic (Enteroccocus Faeceum) and digestive enzymes (Tryplase).

I would definitely get a stool check for worms done, though, if the diarrhea isn't really clearing up. This is the problem we had with Kelly before we finally discovered his massive parasite infestation which we think caused his IBD - he'd go from watery D to soft-serve, but his poop never got really firm, even on a bland diet. Maybe worm anyway, too, just to be sure?

Hope you can get to the bottom of this (no pun intended!) - good luck.

Guest GryffinSong

Lamb and beef always gave Gryffin the runs. And most prepared foods did too. We tried almost all so-called holistic, high end, whatever foods we could find, with no luck. The only food that seemed to work for him was Purina One, and it would fix him up within a couple of meals. *shrug*

Guest Cardiffcouple

Information about dealing with diarrhea at Greyhound Gang/Learn/Medical/Diarrhea.

I always have a Slippery Elm Paste/Gel made and in my fridge. Directions on my site. It helps keep the intestinal track healthy. Acidolphilus is also good. As are digestive enzymes.

Look to food, stress, allergies when diarrhea occurs.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang

All Proceeds Help Hounds

Hi Claudia! It's so good to see you here. We are part time Kanabers, Best Friends devotees and just adopted our first two greyhounds (after going to Greyhound Gathering the last two years to quizz greyhound owners!). Of course, we have the diarrhea issue as well as a cancer scare. Can't wait to see what month 3 brings!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tphillips

Strange we are having the same issue with TOTW prairie, we were just at the vet for yearly everything (stool check and full panel blood) our grey was fine. My lab eats the same as she is a tank and can eat anything and I noticed her stool is soft. She is normally hard as a rock. I am going on a bland diet with them both until they feel better. I was thinking it was a bad batch or old. As this is the 1st bag in 6 mo with them on it we had a issue with. Good luck to you though I know the pain!

Guest hounddog

Sorry for the late response back. Thanks to everyone that responded. I think we had an old batch of TOTW because everything has cleared up and the next bag is almost done without any problems. I have been careful with the liver treats and the duck treats. All is Greyt now!!!!! Yeah ;)