Stiches Or Not?

Guest GriffinsMom

Guest GriffinsMom

My poor Miles. With all the problems he has had in the last few months with his stomach, back, and corns, now he literally has a hole in his head.

I was moving some large branches trimmed from a maple tree in the back yard. Both the dogs were underfoot as usual. When we came back in the house I noticed something on Miles head and discovered a 3mm cut. He must have gotten bonked on the head with one of the branches while I was moving it.

I have cleaned the cut and applied Bactroban, which I used on Ava's stitches from when she was attacked by an off leash dog early this August. Should I take Miles in for stitches and possibly antibiotics or continue to keep it clean and apply the Bactroban twice a day. Since it's on top of his head at least he cannot lick it.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Sharon

Guest GryffinSong

It would depend on how close the edges are to each other. I found that Gryffin healed from cuts much faster if they were stitched, unless they were quite small or narrow. He had one that I decided was ok without, and in hindsight I would have had it stitched. It definately took longer to heal.

Hugs and good luck!

Edited to add: I just realized that your Griffin passed on a year before my Gryffin. Hugs and I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by GryffinSong

That's just over an inch so it's borderline. Does it gape open? If so then a couple of stitches could help a lot. Otherwise I'd clean the wound as you have done and apply the clear/green sap from the base of a cut Aloe Vera leaf. I reckon it speeds up granulation and healing by about 2 days.

Guest KennelMom

I'm not sure we're all on the same page here. I'm no metric expert, but I thought 3mm was 1/8 of an inch. That's pretty small.

(and even if it were an inch, we'd still probably not take it for stitches unless it was somewhere it was ripping open bigger, like various areas on the hind end or stomach tend to do)

Depends-- are you sure the branch didn't puncture deeper? If it's just 3mm and it's just superficial than I would just clean it and apply some neosporin. Remember not to use Hydrogen peroxide- it will germs but, will also destroy healthy healing cells too.

Guest mirthlesstroll

2.5 cm is about 1 inch - 3 mm would be close to 1/8 inch. I wouldn't take one of mine in for a cut that small, unless it was gaping or I couldn't get it to stop bleeding. Just keep it clean, and take him if it starts looking inflamed / infected.

Guest greytloves

My only differing opinion would be your mention of what he has had recently. Is his immune system in jeopardy? Can his body not heal normally right now? But, it would most certainly be a Monday thing if anything. Would just depend on how he heals and what his past medical issues may be.

i would wash it up w/ peroxide or saline solution. one coating of triple antibiotic ointment and then just keep it clean w/ saline. you can use saline solution nose spray or eye drops for contacts, cheap enough. it has wonderful healing properties and if it is deep you will be promoting tissue growth from the inside up and out by irrigating it. i personally make my solution out of french gray sea salt(it does wonders to your cooking) and seems to have the best healing properties. it sounds like a normal day in the life of felix, that dog has more dings than hair at this point. also, very typical of him, getting nailed while just hanging and watching.