Hot Spots?

Guest Greytluv

Nutmeg had one last year, during a stressful time. Stress evidently heightens the risk. I just washed it and put Neosporin on it. I also added some Omega 3 oil to her diet, which probably didn't really help but it made me feel like I was doing something. That's been her only hot spot so far, knock on wood.

I think some people just keep it clean and don't put on anything. It may depend on the cause? Does your dog with the hot spot have any allergies?

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest Greytluv

Actually, it's my girlfriends lab. She doesn't have any allergies. I told her to keep it clean and either put hydracortisone or Neosporin on it.

Guest Cris_M

Definitely make sure the dog is on a great flea preventative. Even one flea can set up the environment for hot spots.

My son has a lab also. Their fur is so thick that fleas just sink down into it and hide.

If the dog is having a really rough time of it, go to the vet. A hydrocortisone shot can help.

Guest Sunset123

I've had great luck with Sulfodene. It really does help get it dried up and healed, and I'm pretty sure it helps the itch. You just dab some on with a cotton ball. It helps if you can get the hot spot covered after applying, though. I use it for little scrapes, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Sulfodene-First-Skin-Medication-Dogs/dp/B0006G5RYM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1283057166&sr=8-1

Guest XiaDog

My grey has one right now. I've been using Sulfodene twice a day and it looked better the next day after I started. I bought it at a local pet store and it was pretty inexpensive. Since it's a lab, I recommend shaving the fur in the area so you can clean it more thoroughly. People also use nolvasan or really any antiseptic that can kill bacteria and such. If it doesn't go away after a week or two, I recommend a vet. It could be a more serious skin infection.

Sulfodene. You can buy is at your local pet store or even someplace like Target(that's where we get ours). I have a bulldog and she gets Hot Spots all the time, this stuff works wonders.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest mcsheltie

If it isn't caused by an allergy, hydrocortisone spray & Gold Bond medicated foot powder works. You don't want to put an ointment on it. You want to dry it out.