How Do I Clean A Dog's Ears?

Guest greytexplorer

Guest greytexplorer

I am overnighting a bloodhound and I need to clean her ears.

She smells terrible, and it's coming from her ears.

I don't want to go out and buy ear cleaning stuff. Can't I just make something like with hydrogen peroxide and/or vinegar?

Do you pour it in the ears, or use a cotton ball or what??

I've never had to do this before! HELP! :blink:

TIA,

~Pat

Equal parts white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Just squirt some in there and use your fingers to squish the liquid around inside the ear for a minute or so. Then use a cotton ball (or 3..) to wipe the ear out.

Edited by DevilDog

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest greytloves

Never a Q tip! Do you have any of those make up remover cotton pads? I like them better then cotton balls. Vinegar, Perioxide or Alcohol may burn if she has irriations or an infection. I would look really closely and maybe start with just plain warm water on a pad and swipe out. If you don't see any irritation then I would use Rubbing Alcohol.

Guest TeddysMom

If you have any mineral oil, you can put a few drops in the ear, rub for a few minutes and wipe out with a cotton or a kleenex. If he has mites the mineral oil with help get rid of them.

Guest greytloves

Mineral Oil! I had forgotten about that and it would not burn. Great thing to keep on hand and I don't believe I do. Will remember to add that to my list for the drug store! Hope the OP has that on hand!

One helpful thing is to put whatever cleaner you choose on a jumbo cotton ball and hold the ball in your hand a moment to warm it. Then tuck the ball inside the ear and massage from the outside. Then wipe the cotton ball around, and wipe again with a clean/dry ball.

If at all possible, don't put a chilly liquid directly inside the hound's ears.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest FullMetalFrank

We just use a baby wipe wrapped around the end of your finger and gently wipe inside. It gets all the external gooies and if I needed to do more than that, I'd probably want to see a vet just to check things out. Our new girl had nasty ears when we got her but it seems to be all superficial; I cleaned them a couple of days in and just gave them another wipe this evening, and it looks like one more time and they'll be as squeaky clean as my other dog's ears!

Guest GryffinSong

With tongue firmly planted in cheek ... borrow an Italian greyhound. Mine would lay beside Gryffin and give his ears a good cleansing. He'd even turn his head when they were done so they could get his other ear. :lol

With tongue firmly planted in cheek ... borrow an Italian greyhound. Mine would lay beside Gryffin and give his ears a good cleansing. He'd even turn his head when they were done so they could get his other ear. :lol

The foster I have right now tries to clean my ears!

For just maintenance cleaning I do a 50/50 vinegar water mixture. Squirt some in, rub, let them shake, then wipe out with cotton balls and tissue. If they're not that dirty I just squirt the liquid on the cotton ball and wipe the inside out that way.

Guest Greytluv

With tongue firmly planted in cheek ... borrow an Italian greyhound. Mine would lay beside Gryffin and give his ears a good cleansing. He'd even turn his head when they were done so they could get his other ear. lol.gif

:sicklol.gif

I always warn the liquid before putting it in their ears. I wonder how the OP's hound is doing?

Like FullMetalFrank I find baby wipes work well.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Guest greytexplorer

Sorry for the delay in responding......

:puke

yowser that is some nasty gunk

Sally the bloodhound had several orgasms whilst I was wiping out her ears with the cotton ball. <insert orgasmic emoticon here>

I really appreciate the responses.

Sally is enjoying retirement in MN as we speak. :)