Accidents- Getting Worse!

Guest Avisher224

Guest Avisher224

I've had my greyhound, Orion, for a couple months now and he has admittedly never been great about not going in the house. He was fine the first couple weeks but then we went out for an evening and came back to two accidents in the house. Ever since then, he seems to just think that if he doesn't feel like waiting, he can go in the house. He had "graduated" from being in the crate when we were gone, but once he started this behavior, we had to go back to it. He doesn't love the crate, but until this week, he hadn't even had an accident in it. Earlier this week, he refused to go out in the morning before I left for work (it was raining), so of course, I came home to an accident in the crate- not very surprising. However, he did go out this morning and I watched him pee, but I came home to another mess in the crate! I know that he can go all day, for one, because he usually does it and two, I'm home with him during the day occasionally and he doesn't even go out when he has the opportunity to- I guess he's used to just sleeping and not eating or drinking much so he doesn't need to go. Only once I have I ever caught him going, so I can't really discipline. I've been doing positive reinforcement for going in the yard (treats after he goes) but he doesn't seem to translate that into NOT going in the house. I just don't know what to do- help!

Guest mbfilby

It is unusual for dogs to mess in their crate. I would say he has something going on, or simply has to go so bad he can't hold it.

You mention you came home to a mess in the crate after watching him pee in the morning. Did he have a BM in the crate or just urinate?

I would get him checked for UTI and do a stool check.

Guest Avisher224

It is unusual for dogs to mess in their crate. I would say he has something going on, or simply has to go so bad he can't hold it.

You mention you came home to a mess in the crate after watching him pee in the morning. Did he have a BM in the crate or just urinate?

I would get him checked for UTI and do a stool check.

I am starting to think he might have separation anxiety- any suggestions for that?

Also, he peed and pooped this morning- he peed in the crate when I was gone. I guess I'll have to get him checked and make sure nothing is wrong physically!

Also, when I first got him, we were using a loaner crate from the organization we adopted from, but now we bought a new one. Do you think that could have something to do with his behavior?

I would just like to say that you cannot allow the dog to decide he doesn't want to go out when you know you're leaving--you're setting him up to fail. You need to put him on a leash and TAKE him out if he doesn't want to go.

I think you should probably take a urine sample to the vet, but perhaps you might also consider what your routine is? A dog needs exercise, especially if he's in the crate. Is he getting much? And I don't mean sniffing around the back yard. I mean exercise. It'll help him settle down, sleep, and if it IS behavioral (I'd rule out medical first) it's one of the things that will help!

Good luck--and let me just say, been there, done that!! And I know it's no fun.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mbfilby

I am starting to think he might have separation anxiety- any suggestions for that?

Also, he peed and pooped this morning- he peed in the crate when I was gone. I guess I'll have to get him checked and make sure nothing is wrong physically!

Also, when I first got him, we were using a loaner crate from the organization we adopted from, but now we bought a new one. Do you think that could have something to do with his behavior?

A crate is a crate, it shouldn't matter.

SA behavior includes elimination, but there is almost always additional symptoms. Whining, crying, destructive chewing, fighting/chewing/digging at the crate etc.

GeorgeofNE has good suggestions about exercise for SA. Keeping him busy with a kong helps. A companion can eliminate even severe SA.

Guest Avisher224

I would just like to say that you cannot allow the dog to decide he doesn't want to go out when you know you're leaving--you're setting him up to fail. You need to put him on a leash and TAKE him out if he doesn't want to go.

I think you should probably take a urine sample to the vet, but perhaps you might also consider what your routine is? A dog needs exercise, especially if he's in the crate. Is he getting much? And I don't mean sniffing around the back yard. I mean exercise. It'll help him settle down, sleep, and if it IS behavioral (I'd rule out medical first) it's one of the things that will help!

Good luck--and let me just say, been there, done that!! And I know it's no fun.

I did eventually take him out on the leash and I swear he was trying to trick me into thinking he was peeing! He'd lift his leg for a couple seconds, then move on- I know it takes him long than to empty it all out, but the rain was really coming down so I think he was just trying to get me to take him back in. I guess next time I won't let him get the best of me!

I walk him at least a mile every night- do you think walking in the morning would help too? Or at least playing with him in the yard, wearing him out a bit? I don't have a ton of time before work but I'm willing to try anything at this point!

A crate is a crate, it shouldn't matter.

SA behavior includes elimination, but there is almost always additional symptoms. Whining, crying, destructive chewing, fighting/chewing/digging at the crate etc.

GeorgeofNE has good suggestions about exercise for SA. Keeping him busy with a kong helps. A companion can eliminate even severe SA.

He has been chewing/digging at his crate too. I was giving him a kong when I left but I had to put his muzzle on the past couple days- he had a scrape on his nose that I think was from him trying to escape. I don't think I can get him a companion right now, maybe eventually though. Do you think he'd do better not in the crate? I put him in there mostly so he wouldn't pee in the house but now it doesn't seem to be helping that problem much.

Guest gecko_foot

I agree with ruling out any medical issues for the accidents first. A lot of greys won't pee/poop where they sleep unless something is wrong. If my boy has an accident in the house at all, there's something wrong with him, and he can't hold it...or I just didn't take him out soon enough... :(

If your grey is weird about going in the rain, you might try getting him a doggie raincoat like this: 0130101548a.jpg

Mine will take forever to go to the bathroom if he's out in the rain without his coat, and that drives me nuts. As for the housebreaking, I would take him on a long walk in the morning if you can. A lot of times, a walk will get things moving. Take some good treats (i.e. hotdogs), and have a praise party as soon as he pees/poops outside.

You can try leaving him baby gated in a room. It might help the SA, and it might not. If you're worried about him chewing things, it would probably be a good idea to muzzle him while you're gone.

Good luck! :)

Edited by gecko_foot

We had this sort of trouble with Naples too.

First thing I would do is a FULL vet check. Have a urinalysis done to check for a UTI. Make sure he is healthy. It is possible there is something physical going on, and that is easy to rule out.

I hesitate to call this separation anxiety, if there are no other symptoms. If he is not vocalizing, drooling, chewing things apart, it is unlikely this is true SA. For more info on what SA is (and is not), read I'll Be Home Soon by Patricia McConnell, PhD.

Do you leave a radio or TV on for him? If not, consider this. He may not have true SA, but may get a little anxious if he can hear too many unidentified noise around your home. In addition, most track kennels play some sort of constant noise at all times, so this is what many ex-racers are used to.

Other than that, dogs that mark need to urinate many times to empty out completely. Many males are champion markers, and some females are too (Naples is one!). they reserve urine to mark many things, so if they don't urinate several times before being left for the day, they WILL have to go during the day, and probably will. So they learn to fight instinct, and mess in the crate if that's where they are.

This may mean longer walks so he can empty, or more time in the yard in the morning. It may also mean that after he eats breakfast, he goes out again. That's what Naples needs: she urinates first thing outside in the morning, but defecates after eating. So she needs to go out twice in the morning. BUT, this means she does not mess throughout the day, either.

Your question about walking longer in the morning, or a play session in the yard - YES! A tired dog is a happy dog! If he is too tired to pee, he probably won't. AND, all that activity is likely to get things moving, y'know?

As far as "a crate is a crate," I disagree with this. If you find that the dog messes in an airline crate (solid plastic), try a wire crate. That's the way Naples was: she'd mess in an airline crate almost every day. But once we got her a wire crate, she messed far less frequently. Sometimes, being more open helps. Sometimes the opposite is true. It can take some experimentation.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest mbfilby

....As far as "a crate is a crate," I disagree with this. If you find that the dog messes in an airline crate (solid plastic), try a wire crate. That's the way Naples was: she'd mess in an airline crate almost every day. But once we got her a wire crate, she messed far less frequently. Sometimes, being more open helps. Sometimes the opposite is true. It can take some experimentation.

Sorry... I wasn't even thinking of pet carriers, I meant one wire crate is the same as the next. IMO pups do not do as well in pet carriers, they are hotter and much more sight restrictive. Most hounds feel more comfortable being able to see in all directions like the kennel crates.

If he's fussing in the crate, he's probably better off not in it as fussing can quickly lead to pee etc. (If he's trying to escape, I wouldn't put him in it at all -- that can lead to severe injuries or death.) I would do urinalysis and fecal exam to rule out any medical issues. It might be of help to keep a simple journal of when he does what (pee, poop) where (outside on walk, outside in fenced yard, in crate, etc.). That can help you figure out, "Hmm, he only peed once this morning and I know he has to pee a second time before I leave." Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ah! Time in the morning! I get up more than an hour earlier than I need to because I FIRMLY believe that if you're a working stiff, like me, your dog's exercise should come BEFORE you leave him alone all day, not after if you're only going to go one long walk. Walking him in the evening is GREAT, but that doesn't really help him relax and sleep when you want him to the most--when you have to leave him.

Perhaps, at least temporarily, you'd consider getting up early?

George had some pretty serious problems being left alone at first. I swore I would try "everything," and that included getting myself up early to try and wear him out. I used to walk him for an hour. We're down to 45 minutes now--but I've had him for more than 2 years, and he's going to be 8 in a couple of weeks.

I have certainly gotten used to it. I admit, I'm a morning person anyway, but taking on a pet often involves changing up our own routines. Unless, I suppose, it's a gerbil or something else like goldfish! :)

Think of it as excellent cardio for yourself!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Avisher224

Thanks all for the great suggestions! I started paying more attention to his potty habits and I realized that Orion had gotten in the habit of going just enough to please me (rather than really emptying out) in order to get his treat sooner! So, yes, he would be ready to burst by mid-afternoon! I started making him do a full lap of the yard before he got his treat and that seems to be working. I also left him out of the crate today while I'm at work- hopefully he behaves! I'm also going to try a longer morning walk or even maybe a little jogging with some training- really tire himi out for the day!

I second the morning walk! Some dogs are misers with their pee :huh They dole it out little by little. A walk gets things moving and tires them out so they sleep most of the time you are gone --- dual benefits!

I walk Molly 30-40 minutes every morning, and she pees immediately, walks a block then poops, then pees almost immediately again...and then also leaves pee mail along the route, usually pooping a second time before we get home. By the time we're on that last half block she's empty!

eta - I also learned that when it rains out, Molly cannot be in view of the house to go potty. If we try to go out in the yard (even with her rain coat), she just looks at the house wondering why she can't go inside. If we walk a block away, she'll do her business and be ready to head home (or sometimes she wants her full walk, despite the rain.) So if it rains, you might want to try walking Orion a bit (a pain in the butt, but better than cleaning up a mess later).

Edited by arandomchic

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest duckbilled

This may be a dumb question but do you leave any food out for him or do you give him a chance to go after he eats? Our Ike has to go right after we feed him. He is pretty lazy but once he gets up and about, he wants to get all of the important stuff out of the way so he can go back to sleep.

Slightly off topic but it may be useful:

We had Ike for a few months and he was fine in the house. We crated him when we were away and some of those days were pretty long. After about three months, we had to go out at night and he didn't have a chance to go before we left. We returned and found that he pooped in his crate. We took him to the vet and they said he was fine. They suggested remedial housebreaking and walking him every morning before work (a real pain if you are familiar with Michigan winters). This helped a little but after the first incident, he was pooping in his crate on a weekly basis. We were so frustrated - it made such a mess and we had to wash everything constantly (including him). Occasionally it would leave the crate and get on the living room carpeting. Yuk. The vet said the crate was too big and we should make it smaller by putting something in it - wrong. We put a plastic laundry basket in there and he chewed it up until his gums were bloody. It was so sad to see him in that crate all messy when we came home. He wasn't happy and we obviously were not happy either.

I came to the conclusion that he may be associating his crate with crap time. We put up a baby gate and put him in the basement (finished) when we were gone for a few weeks. He didn't poop in the basement but he chewed on the gate and the handrail going downstairs. Clearly, he didn't appreciate being confined. We were so frustrated that we took a chance on letting roam the house when we were gone. That was almost 2 years ago and we have not had an accident (or chewing) since. We have not crated him after that either.

I guess the point is maybe he is associating you being gone with poop time. When we went out that night I think we upset his routine and from that point forward, he associated his crate with crap. Only until we broke his new routine did we make progress.

Oh, and BTW, that vet was fired.