Greys And (Really) Hot Peppers

Murray does manage to get into trouble. And while he loves fruits & veggies, he usually leaves

them alone. This is peak garden season. Mark just unloaded several flats of veggies in the kitchen

-- and left some on the floor. Faster used to be the veggie thief, but he doesn't have enough teeth

anymore to mess with things. One flat was half green beans and half screaming hot habenero peppers

(Mark makes hot sauce). I had heard him crunching on something earlier-- that was probably the green

beans. I walk into the bedroom for something... and see these orange things on the floor-- and then

seeds... So the casualties are some green beans (no big deal) and two habenero peppers with "puncture

wounds" and some missing seeds. At least he didn't eat the whole thing (as far as we know).

Murray currently shows no obvious signs of distress, no panting or licking of lips. This happened about

20 minutes ago. I have given him a slice of american cheese, a slice of bread, and about 8 ounces of milk.

The bread was just an idea. The cheese and milk are based on what humans do to try to stop their mouth from

burning (eat dairy). Pretty sure it is Murray. We offered him both of the damaged peppers (to see what he

would do) and he showed totally no interest-- didn't even want to lick them. That strongly suggests he learned

something... (maybe)

Ideas? Is he going to have explosive poop episodes?

Carol

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Guest mbfilby

I would be more worried if he ingested the peppers. It sounds like he took a bite and decided it wasn't for him.. I think you did the right thing. He might get the big D from the milk if he is not used to it..

Guest Energy11

Wow! I can't believe he even ATE those things!

You did the absolute right thing, giving the bread and milk :-)) It neutralizes the "hotness," of the peppers.

You might have some massive Big D, but everything should be OK. Good Luck!

Guest ChasesMum

I will be checking in to see what the consequences become... :unsure sounds like he decided that they were not a good idea, maybe you'll be off the hook!

Guest SoulsMom

Archie (non-grey) ate a teeny tiny hot pepper out of my mother's garden once. Extremely explosive Big D and then puke. But once that was over he was fine

Hmmmm.... Dude eats hot peppers sometimes - and acts like he does like them, though he likes anything marginally identifiable as "food." Jalapenos don't do anything to him. He doesn't even drink extra water. He's gotten some hotter ones, but they were pickled so I don't know if that makes a difference. Ate them with relish and, again, no consequences.

Dude, Stomach of Iron, Brain of Porridge!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Our poodle puppy is obsessed with our pepper plants - jalepeno and new mexican peppers. He doesn't seem to mind the heat. he doesn't eat them but likes to chew on them. I'm constantly taking htem away from him and he's constantly harvesting new ones for himself. Apparently he doesn't notice the heat.

That's Murray :) Patrick has gotten into stuff our salsa verde, fairly hot, with no ill consequences. Then again, he has the stomach of a goat I think. Hope Murray's alright.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

The good news is that Murray seems to have suffered no ill consequences. :)

I am sure he doesn't realize that he could have felt like this :angryfire from his mouth to his other end...

Silly boy.

Carol

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Glad Murray didn't suffer from his pepper adventure! Some animals don't have the receptors(?) to feel the heat from peppers like people do, I guess dogs are in that group. I know I foolishly seeded and chopped some habeneros with my bare hands and the skin on my fingers was painful for several days :blink:

The good news is that Murray seems to have suffered no ill consequences. :)

I am sure he doesn't realize that he could have felt like this :angryfire from his mouth to his other end...

Silly boy.

Carol

I think Murray must be hot stuff on his own. Glad to read that there were no serious issues.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds