Dapper Don, The Deal Dog

GreyTzu

The Last of the First'est Four

Today our 13+ year old went to the bridge to join our other beloved pets. We made the heartbreaking decision to let Donner run free and without pain again. He has had raising liver and kidney values for over a year now. We have kept things in check with supplements and meds., however his hindquarters gave out this morning. We struggled with the decision, but in our hearts we know it was time. Sometimes the signals are not very clear. He let us know it was time.

IMG_0054-1.jpg

Donner was the last of the first four greyhounds we adopted. We went to a rescuer in Davie Florida, about a 2 hour drive south of us. We went to adopt another girl as we felt that Dylan would not accept a male. We also felt 3 was a good number.

IMG_5616.jpg

As we walked around the kennel, the gal was pointing out girls and telling us about them. I asked about the black dog and she said it a male, that if we adopted a girl today, we could have him, and then she continued showing us the girls. So we picked out two girls we wanted to look at and she took them out into the yard. We settled on Dixie and I wrote a check.

2064989e.jpg

After, I asked about the black dog again. She said he was hyper and wouldn't settle down, and that she had stopped taking him to M&G's because she considered him unadoptable. When I asked about small animals she thought he would be ok and she said that he crated well. So we walked him, introduced him to the 'Tzus, noticed that he responded well to the leash and seemed to settle right down. I noticed that he had one nut and asked her about that. No problem getting neutered she said. I wrote out the check for our Deal Dog.

IMG_1089-2.jpg

We tossed around names and came up with another "D" reindeer, Donner. He was a rather dapper black tuxie and was a deal, so it evolved into Dapper Don The Deal Dog. His ears tattoos were never very clear and for a while I thought he was WigWam Diamond. The only thing I could ever tell from them for sure was that he was the C pup in a litter born on May of 1997.

IMG_5486-1.jpg

As for the deal, he rode home fine and peed in the front yard without a problem. He came inside and promptly peed blood on the wall, a raging bladder infection. 2 courses of antibiotics and $150.00 later, he was ready for the big zip. Of course, because of the missing nut, he needed more than just a snip and zip. $250.00 and two surgeries later, still no nut, BUT we got a DEAL!! He was a sweetheart and I am glad we got him.

IMG_5635-1.jpg

Donner settled into our home seamlessly. He was such a love, never pushy and was always a gentleman. We came home one afternoon to the aftermath of an altercation between the boys. Donner got the brunt of it. We decided to doggy gate him and Dixie into the hall and bathroom. He very quickly learned to be a "hallway puppy" and loved running into the hall waiting for his treat.

IMG_5695-1.jpg

Red was his color and he wore it well. Donner enjoyed flashing his collars to Dad when I changed them. He loved attention, but was never demanding. I would be playing on the computer or watching TV and suddenly I would feel gentle hot breath on my elbow as he sidled up to me, wanting lovies.

4ccf12b5.jpg

Donner welcomed a couple of cats into our home, was with us when we lost Dixie, Dylan, Dancer, JD and Xena. I took Donner with me to Jax. when I picked up Disco and I can tell you he was not impressed with this young upstart being in his van. And I really think Donner was trying to send me the message to turn around and take him back on the 4 hour drive home. :lol :lol And in '08, after Sandy Paw, when we loaded Danger into the van, he just sighed, rolled his eyes and went to sleep. He welcomed Dessie a few months later with in his accepting gentlemanly manner. He simply had an open and loving heart of gold.

IMG_5698.jpg

Space was his biggest issue and he was prone to grumbling and grousing when one of the younger dogs laid next to him or touched him. The younger dogs learned to ignore it. However, he was very common to see Rocky or one of the cats crash next to Donner and Donner would never so much as glance at him.

IMG_5541.jpg

According to our pet sitter, Donner's vice was the one trick I taught him. I personally thought it was awesome! I taught him to walk between my legs and stand there, waiting for butt rubbies. It took a few weeks, but since Donner loved to have his butt rubbed, he learned it quickly. And I found it hysterical the first time he did it to Kevin, who is not a very tall guy. :gmark I would explain to everyone that he was not sniffing "parts" he simply wanted loving. And Donner never sniffed, he dove between legs and stood there, excitedly waiting for rubs. He would get so happy, he would bounce on his hind feet. Again, Kevin never found much humor in his trick!

IMG_5634.jpg

More in a few minutes...

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for your loss Wendy....

What a beautiful boy!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Donner loved to go on walks. I started walking Dylan after his surgery and Donner quickly joined the stroll to the lake. Of course, we lost Dylan and I stopped walking. Disco came home and we started up again, and added Danger when he came home and settled in. And Donner continued to look forward to our walks. But I was plagued with some foot issues and had to stop walking again. I started the morning walks a few months again, age was catching up to Donner and he was not able to go the distance and speed at which we walk. Kevin started taking him out for a stroll after I left and Donner loved it. You could tell that Donner was thrilled when he came home by his manner and attitude to the young dogs. Sort of a "Dad took ME for a walk!!" attitude. This morning, Kevin and Donner went on their last walk together. IMG_6003.jpg A few hours later, Donner, in his gentle subtle way, let us know it was simply time. He was a goofy, loving, gentle, patient loving companion who left pawprints in our hearts forever. We will always miss you Donner. We take solace in knowing that our "first'est four" greyhounds are reunited at the bridge and running free now. We know someday we will see them and cross the bridge together. donnerets.jpgdonner12-05-06.jpgdonner-kevin-12-05-06.jpg306turnoutpups.jpgIMG_5370.jpgIMG_5666.jpgIMG_5696.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Wendy, I am so Very Sorry!:grouphug

:f_red:gh_run Run Free Donner! :f_red

Beautiful Tribute!

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I'm so sorry Wendy. So very sorry.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

He was the real deal, wasn't he. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful dog. I am sorry for your loss.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Wendy and Kevin, I am so very sorry. I met Donner my very first Sandy Paws, he was a beautiful boy. I so enjoyed reading your tribute to him Wendy. Oh how he must have groaned everytime you headed north to Jax.

Godspeed Donner :gh_run run with your original pack, but don't forget to send Mom and Dad a sign.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Thank you Wendy for sharing your very special boy with us.

When the last of the "originals" pass it's just seems harder.

:grouphug to you and Kevin

Guest wmlcml6

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry, Wendy and Kevin. What a handsome boy. I bet he did come to dread those trips to north Florida and Georgia! What? Another one?

All your dogs are awesome, and I know Donner will be missed. I know you aren't into PDA, but I'm giving you a cyber hug anyway. {{{{{HUG}}}}}}

Oh Y, I'm so so sorry. I teared up reading this and I could hear your voice in my head as I read it. Wish I could hug you and Kevin.

:grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17