Dixie Is Limping

Dixie has been limping on her left front leg for about 3 weeks. We took her into the vet 2 weeks ago. Took xrays and nothing unusual on the film. Looked closely at her feet for corns but did not see any. Being a stoic greyhound, it was nearly impossible to get a pain reaction out of her when the vet manipulated her leg. She did let out a whimper, but we are not sure if she happened to be startled by a noise out in the waiting room. The vet sent us home with 2 weeks of rimadyl which we just finished up. She limps quite a bit walking on the gravel driveway. Sometimes she will limp in the house, but it is possible that could be from waking up and just getting her leg to wake up. She walks fairly well on the grass. Since we don't have a fenced in yard, she did not suffer a running or rough-housing injury. Dixie is 9 years old.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Did they x-ray the shoulder area as well as the leg? If she is still limping, you might consider doing another set of x-rays. Sometimes waiting and going back for another set will show something. I just had one diagnosed with arthritis from a set of x-rays so it may be worth having another look.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Hi Annette! Sorry Dixie has been limping. I wonder if she might have a corn that hasn't surfaced yet-- sometimes you can't see them right away. Try wetting the bottom of her pads on the effected foot and take a super close look. If she is limping on a fronf foot it could also be her neck--do you walk her with a harness? Hopefully, the Rimadyl will help and you can stop worrying! Keep us posted.

Tracy

We aren't going to be able to take Dixie in again till next Saturday which I will probably do if she is still limping. We are heading south to visit Roy's sister. I think she only has 2 chemo treatments left. We will have to supervise Dixie down there because they have a fenced in yard.

Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I would re-x-ray the whole leg/shoulder if still limping. I would also not allow her to run off leash because if God forbid "something" is hiding in the x-rays- she could easily fracture it. Keep her leashed walked and give her something for the discomfort, either rimydal or deramaxx (anti imflammatory). If she is limping, she is in pain.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally we were home going to be home on a weekend to make an appointment for Dixie because she was still limping. The vet didn't have any more openings for Saturday so I inquired about late hours. I was able to make an appointment for tomorrow (this was over 1 1/2 weeks ago). A couple days ago, Roy and I started looking at how she was walking in the house. There was nary a limp (we have vinyl flooring through the entire house no soft carpeting), outside on the grass - hardly limping. Roy walked her around the house and down the gravel driveway this morning (where she limped the most)and she didn't limp. When I got home today, not limping. :dunno Well, I canceled her appointment for tomorrow. I am going to watch her like a hawk to make sure she not "lying" to me. We can't explain it.

Annette