Merlin And Sagan Are Vomiting

Guest oldNELLIE

Sounds like you don't need it now, but for the future (at least at my vet) you can just walk in and buy the food. I think this last time 5 cans was less than $10. I like it because I know it is balanced...and honestly I just don't want to have to cook anything up myself :rolleyes: It's gross enough that if I need it it is because I have been dealing with vomit or diarrhea :lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest COBRAorMAVERICK

Well, it seems Merlin passed his bug to our cousin (who lives in South Portland.) He electronically passed it to us, and we gave it to Cobra.

Kidding Merlin, we know it's not your bug.

Vomiting and Faucet Poo all day. Gave her Pepto & we'll see what happens the rest of today.

Thanks, Amber and Dee! I gave them a Pepcid and now I'm heading back to work.

I've yet to find out if their poop is okay but no vomit is a good start :lol I'll take what I can!!

Kerry, I am just seeing this. Hoping that both boys are feeling better by now.

Please give both of them a :kiss2 :kiss2 from me.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Thank you, Rita! :colgate

DH and I came back to the house and - no vomit :yay I hope my boys are on the mend.

They have not pooped yet since this morning, so we'll see. My poor Mister Merlin, it's his birthday tomorrow and he is not going to be able to get any treats :(

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

Thank you, Rita! colgate.gif

DH and I came back to the house and - no vomit yay.gif I hope my boys are on the mend.

They have not pooped yet since this morning, so we'll see. My poor Mister Merlin, it's his birthday tomorrow and he is not going to be able to get any treats sad.gif

WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! No vomit!!! Doesn't take much for us, does it? :-))

I know what you mean about not celebrating birthdays! Cari turned 9 last weekend, and we don't have a date in August for Staggerlee, ... we just know he is now 10. We had vanilla dixie cups with vanilla wafers planned for last weekend, but we had to put it on hold due to the soft serve poopies we had! I am going to give them their treats tomorrow nite :-)

Sending love to Merlin and Sagan!

Looks like I spoke too soon :( :(

Merlin had HORRIBLE diarrhea just now and his tummy is back to being loud and gurgly :cry1

Should I give him Kaopectate? (I don't have Gas X in the house at the moment). I am going to feed him his bland diet now - he hasn't eaten in 14 hours, so it may be also that his stomach may be gurgly because he's hungry. But I don't know... not sure how long I want to keep this going if he has "faucet poo" :( He was also trying to eat grass.

Someone mentioned the dose of Kaopectate, I can't remember what it was...

Sigh.

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

Soo sorry to hear about this!

I don't give Keopectate myself. I give Immodium AD when I am out of my doggie diarrhea meds. You can give one every six to eight hours as needed. I am sure the Keo would work, too.

I think the stomach noises could most definitely be due to not eating for 14 hours. I'd stay with the bland diet, Pepcid, Keo or Immodium, and Gas X if you can get it, and go from there.

Sounds like this bacteria has "moved south!" :-(

Indeed :(

I'm wondering if I should drop off a stool sample to the vet's tomorrow...

I know when Merlin is feeling under the weather, there is just something about him... and I feel so ignorant and clueless :( I don't know if the Pepcid is working, really... He had one at lunchtime, he shouldn't be getting some tummy cramps now. I gave him another just now, we'll see.

I am just miserable when my wizard is sick :cry1

Edited by MerlinsMum

Guest Energy11

Indeed sad.gif

I'm wondering if I should drop off a stool sample to the vet's tomorrow...

I know when Merlin is feeling under the weather, there is just something about him... and I feel so ignorant and clueless sad.gif I don't know if the Pepcid is working, really... He had one at lunchtime, he shouldn't be getting some tummy cramps now. I gave him another just now, we'll see.

I am just miserable when my wizard is sick cry1.gif

Taking a stool sample in couldn't hurt, that is for sure! I was thinking the exact same thing, if our issue here isn't resolved with disinfecting the food bucket, and adding new food. Do keep us posted! Poor boys!!!

Guest greytloves

Just checking in to see how today went. I agree with Soulmans mom. Keep it simple, just the rice or the beef or anything added unusual to an already upset tummy could just flair it up some more. Personally, I would keep them on their regular diet, maybe reduce it and/or do a few smaller meals at a time and try the kaopectate or pepcid if needed.

Did you go to the vet?

Kerry, Unless Merlin is at risk for dehydration from diarrhea it is best not to give Kao or Imodium. The diarrhea is part of his body's mechanism for purging itself of what is making him sick. Nadir recently went through several weeks of an seriously upset digestive system complete with bloody diarrhea and bloody vomit and the refusal of all foods for days at a time. Initialy the vet was treating him with Sucrulfate because I thought his ulcer had flared up when that didn't help and he started refusing everything I tried to give him I took him back in and ask that he be given Flagyl (Metronidazole) and that seems to have done the trick. Oh and while he was sick I making him a stew of Tilapia, Jack Mackeral and boiled potatoes. I don't know if Merlin is okay with fish, but if he is Tilapia may be easier on his system than ground beef. I'm so sorry your wizard is under the weather. Sending that handsome boy lots of healing thoughts.

Oh bummer Kerry. Sounds like they caught the bug! With Roscoe and Sage, they were fasted for 24 hours. After that they got about 3/4 cup chicken (or beef) and rice twice a day. Pepcid once a day, Flagyl twice a day. They didn't start to get better until we went to the vet and got the antibiotics. we also did a fecal and they came out clean.

In my opinion, I'd bring them to the vet. With Roscoe I hoped to take care of it myself. It wasn't until he got the really bad bloody diarrhea and vomit that I brought him in. It took him twice as long to get over the illness as Sage, who I brought to the vet the very day she showed symptoms. And I know it sucks.. I really didn't have the money either. I had to take money out of my tattoo fund! :angry::lol But anything for my babies.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Lmw626

We had a similar issue here recently. Started out as soft pooh and rumbling tummy on a Sunday night. Even with a bit of pumpkin, the less-soft pooh and rumbling persisted loudly for several days and he was lethargic. At 4am on Friday that week he vomited bile and a small amount of solid bits, by that evening he was back to his usual self and doing fine. Vet said he had a bug or may have eaten something out of the yard.

That was a week ago. This week dealing with flea bite allergic reaction-turned-infection thanks to under-performing Frontline... It's always something, isn't it!

We are just sending hugs and prayers that they feel better soon! :hope :hope :grouphug :grouphug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Honestly, I think you've got too many different things on the go right now. Who knows which is helping and which is making things worse. In my experience with my dogs, feeding them anything, no matter how soothing it would normally be, just prolongs the misery of an upset tummy and the mess. I would not feed anything for 24 hrs but make sure they are drinking water to prevent dehydration (small amounts since too much at once can make them vomit it all up).

Kerry, Unless Merlin is at risk for dehydration from diarrhea it is best not to give Kao or Imodium. The diarrhea is part of his body's mechanism for purging itself of what is making him sick. Nadir recently went through several weeks of an seriously upset digestive system complete with bloody diarrhea and bloody vomit and the refusal of all foods for days at a time. Initialy the vet was treating him with Sucrulfate because I thought his ulcer had flared up when that didn't help and he started refusing everything I tried to give him I took him back in and ask that he be given Flagyl (Metronidazole) and that seems to have done the trick. Oh and while he was sick I making him a stew of Tilapia, Jack Mackeral and boiled potatoes. I don't know if Merlin is okay with fish, but if he is Tilapia may be easier on his system than ground beef. I'm so sorry your wizard is under the weather. Sending that handsome boy lots of healing thoughts.

Thanks, Judy, and yes, I agree - that's exactly what I decided to do this morning. Merlin wasn't even having diarrhea anymore - it was just brown liquid :( I thought "enough", and called the vet to see if I could pick up some Flagyl. I will start to give it to him with his meal tonight. I decided not to give him any Kaopectate in the end - he was already getting Pepcid and different food, didn't want to add one more variable in there and his gums didn't betray any dehydration, so I decided to hold off.

I'm so sorry to hear that Nadir was so sick! :ohno Poor boy :( So very glad that he is better now.

We had a similar issue here recently. It's always something, isn't it!

You can say that again <_< Glad to hear that your boy is better!

Oh bummer Kerry. Sounds like they caught the bug! With Roscoe and Sage, they were fasted for 24 hours. After that they got about 3/4 cup chicken (or beef) and rice twice a day. Pepcid once a day, Flagyl twice a day. They didn't start to get better until we went to the vet and got the antibiotics. we also did a fecal and they came out clean.

In my opinion, I'd bring them to the vet. With Roscoe I hoped to take care of it myself. It wasn't until he got the really bad bloody diarrhea and vomit that I brought him in. It took him twice as long to get over the illness as Sage, who I brought to the vet the very day she showed symptoms. And I know it sucks.. I really didn't have the money either. I had to take money out of my tattoo fund! :angry::lol But anything for my babies.

I hear you. I felt the same way, which is why I decided to take them in. I just don't think this is going to get better without antibiotics, so I'm relieved I was able to pick some up. Not sure whether to keep him on the ground beef and rice or start giving him his regular kibble to bulk up the food. There has been no vomiting at all for nearly two days, and his tummy isn't gurgly anymore. I think I'll keep him on the bland diet for another 24 hours, maybe.

Guest Energy11

Thanks, Judy, and yes, I agree - that's exactly what I decided to do this morning. Merlin wasn't even having diarrhea anymore - it was just brown liquid sad.gif I thought "enough", and called the vet to see if I could pick up some Flagyl. I will start to give it to him with his meal tonight. I decided not to give him any Kaopectate in the end - he was already getting Pepcid and different food, didn't want to add one more variable in there and his gums didn't betray any dehydration, so I decided to hold off.

I'm so sorry to hear that Nadir was so sick! ohno.gif Poor boy sad.gif So very glad that he is better now.

We had a similar issue here recently. It's always something, isn't it!

You can say that again dry.gif Glad to hear that your boy is better!

In my opinion, I'd bring them to the vet. With Roscoe I hoped to take care of it myself. It wasn't until he got the really bad bloody diarrhea and vomit that I brought him in. It took him twice as long to get over the illness as Sage, who I brought to the vet the very day she showed symptoms. And I know it sucks.. I really didn't have the money either. I had to take money out of my tattoo fund! mad.giflol.gif But anything for my babies.

I hear you. I felt the same way, which is why I decided to take them in. I just don't think this is going to get better without antibiotics, so I'm relieved I was able to pick some up. Not sure whether to keep him on the ground beef and rice or start giving him his regular kibble to bulk up the food. There has been no vomiting at all for nearly two days, and his tummy isn't gurgly anymore. I think I'll keep him on the bland diet for another 24 hours, maybe.

Glad you got the Flagyl and they are feeling better. I just took my four of five, who had the soft serve poops off their bland diets. I DO think it was the food, because after 24 hours on the new stuff, with the scrubbed out tub, they seem fine.

Boy oh Boy ... they do keep us busy! Sending love to you all!

Thank you! Glad your crew is off the bland diet and doing well! :yay

Fingers crossed that the Flagyl does the trick here.

Guest Energy11

Thank you! Glad your crew is off the bland diet and doing well! yay.gif

Fingers crossed that the Flagyl does the trick here.

Yep! Fingers and paws crossed! The Flagyl is GOOD STUFF! ;)

Guest LindsaySF

I hope they feel better soon! If the Flagyl doesn't work I would deworm (Panacur) them, even if a stool sample tests negative.

Lily and Aidan had upset tummies and bloody diarrhea, a few weeks apart. I did a bland diet and Panacur for 5 days, it did the trick. I suspect it was Giardia, but it could have been some other parasite.