Merlin And Sagan Are Vomiting

I don't have much more to add than what has already been said...fast, bland diet, etc. However, I wanted to send good thoughts for both Merlin and Sagan!

on a side note, a few years ago, I bought some California Naturals cookies and all four hounds got the big D and had a little vomiting. I threw away the cookies and they were fine after fasting for a day, then a bland diet for a day or so.

California Natural food caused Goldie to have the big D and start eating dirt. Switched to Solid Gold and he was fine and dirt eating stopped. Prayers for Merlin & Sagan. Hope they rebound quickly!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest larock

I'd be more inclined NOT to feed them tonight, and give a light breakfast.

I agree.

Just saw update. Hope they are feeling better today!

Edited by larock

Guest Energy11

If I give Gas X - how much should I give?

I'll give them each another Pepcid when I go home at lunchtime.

We give one or two of the xtra strength.

Guest Energy11

Thank you! smile.gif

Not a problem! This stuff is a pain for you and for them! Soft serve poops for a week here, haven't been a picnic. Used a case of Purina EN, plain yogurt, pumpkin and boiled white rice in a week!

Good Luck!

Sorry they're having problems, Kerry -- hope it all clears up today. I'd call the vet if they're still having issues at midday -- that seems a lot of reaction to a cookie. (Beth had D midday yesterday and in the evening but seems fine this morning, whew.)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Roscoe was given a pepcid every day for several days, per the vet. So I don't think it'll hurt. Is it possible they got a bug and it was just a coincidence they vomited after the cookie? This seems like a long reaction for just a bit of cookie.. They should have gotten rid of it by now.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Energy11

Roscoe was given a pepcid every day for several days, per the vet. So I don't think it'll hurt. Is it possible they got a bug and it was just a coincidence they vomited after the cookie? This seems like a long reaction for just a bit of cookie.. They should have gotten rid of it by now.

Based on the time-frame, I'd blame this on the cookie :-((

Speaking of which, not sure if I should call Petco about those cookies. They were near the counter and I remember thinking they were really, really hard when I brought them home. I could hardly even break them in two. I wonder how long they've been sitting there!! :angry:

In any event, thanks for the advice, I will give them each another Pepcid when I am home in a couple of hours. Thank goodness it's the weekend and I will be home with them for the next two days.

Lisa (DevilDog) I thought of you last night when I cleaning up Sagan's vomit shortly after cleaning up Merlin's, I know your two have been very sick at the same time recently.

Dee, I hope your pups' poop improves soon :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest oldNELLIE

I don't have any expertise to add, but I am sorry to hear this!!

We just went through something similar with Nellie...Soft poop on a Sunday night, Soft on Monday morning so I went home to walk at lunch time on monday too. Monday after work HUGE diarrhea mess in the house. I got it just cleaned up and turned to look at my poor dog and she threw up everywhere. That's when we went to the vet. She was down 6 lbs from her normal weight!! We can home with an antibiotic and some charcoal pills (?) to help firm things up. [TMI alert -- her poop was like turing on a hose. It was just awful]

Nellie is such a chow hound she'd have to be dead to not want food, so I got a few cans of the Hills ID (I think that's the one it is) and she ate that for a few days, 1/2 a can for a few meals, then a whole can, then 1/2 again + some kibble. In the end she was fine and never stopped eating or drinking. But we have NO IDEA what it could have been. She doesn't get into things in the house and didn't outside as far as we know (and we leash walk).

Just a stomach bug I guess. Sending good vibes that your solution is as simple!! Keep us posted.

Guest Energy11

Speaking of which, not sure if I should call Petco about those cookies. They were near the counter and I remember thinking they were really, really hard when I brought them home. I could hardly even break them in two. I wonder how long they've been sitting there!! mad.gif

In any event, thanks for the advice, I will give them each another Pepcid when I am home in a couple of hours. Thank goodness it's the weekend and I will be home with them for the next two days.

Lisa (DevilDog) I thought of you last night when I cleaning up Sagan's vomit shortly after cleaning up Merlin's, I know your two have been very sick at the same time recently.

Dee, I hope your pups' poop improves soon goodluck.gif

HEck, yes, I'd call Petco. We surely don't want any other puppers to get sick. :-(

Now, I am actually thinking, mine might be the food! Goldie is the ONLY one who hasn't got soft serve poop, and SHE eats a renal diet. Soooo .... And, the kibble is in a sealed tub, and, it was at the end, and, ... it was kept in the laundry room, which is NOT air conditioned! I am now wondering if the bottom of the tub of kibble could have been a bit tainted!? We threw the little left, out, and bleached the tub. We are now going to keep the kibble tub in the kitchen, until it finally cools down. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, but you asked :-))

Many hugs! Dee

No apology necessary, and anyway hijacks are needed sometimes - looks like bugs are going around!! :unsure:huh I am always suspicious of the bottom of kibble bags, also I don't ALWAYS clear the dregs out before adding another bag... I usually ask DH to do it, as the container is heavy and I'm short with weak arms :violin but sometimes he forgets.

Shannon - poor Nellie!! :ohno Glad she's better. Geez, that sounds horrible. I would call my vet to ask whether they recommend some ID but I don't want them to tell me to bring them in. Sometimes I feel vets do that and quite frankly if it's not absolutely necessary I don't want to take them in, we are completely broke right now. I'd like to at least give it a few days to see if they get better with a bland diet, etc. If something is seriously wrong I won't hesitate to rake them in EVER, but with two dogs and a teeny budget I have learned to give it a few days.

However, if I find vomit on the carpet again at lunchtime, I might reconsider... :(

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Um.. why thank you. I'm pleased that the sight of vomit reminds you of me! :rofl

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest Energy11

No apology necessary, and anyway hijacks are needed sometimes - looks like bugs are going around!! unsure.gifhuh.gif I am always suspicious of the bottom of kibble bags, also I don't ALWAYS clear the dregs out before adding another bag... I usually ask DH to do it, as the container is heavy and I'm short with weak arms violin.gif but sometimes he forgets.

Shannon - poor Nellie!! ohno.gif Glad she's better. Geez, that sounds horrible. I would call my vet to ask whether they recommend some ID but I don't want them to tell me to bring them in. Sometimes I feel vets do that and quite frankly if it's not absolutely necessary I don't want to take them in, we are completely broke right now. I'd like to at least give it a few days to see if they get better with a bland diet, etc. If something is seriously wrong I won't hesitate to rake them in EVER, but with two dogs and a teeny budget I have learned to give it a few days.

However, if I find vomit on the carpet again at lunchtime, I might reconsider... sad.gif

Get this! I don't even GO to the vet here in town, and they had NO problem selling me the EN or ID, without seeing my dogs. You never know. There is a teriffic mark-up on these products, to trust me, they make money. They ARE good products, though, and they do work!

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha! I knew after I wrote it that the sentence didn't quite come across as I intended it to! :rofl:lol :lol :lol

Guest Energy11

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha! I knew after I wrote it that the sentence didn't quite come across as I intended it to! rofl.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

To me at least, unless the dogs are dehydrated, and there is uncontrollable diarrhea and vomiting, I try to manage it at home. Whether you cook a bland diet, or buy the commercial stuff, it all works the same :-)) I just like the convenience of the EN or ID, myself, IF I can get it without seeing the vet, like you said. Usually, I keep a supply of it here.

Good Luck! Can't wait to see what lunchtime brings!

I'm so sorry to hear about all the sore tummys out there. It's such a helpless feeling. It made me realize that I ran out of Pepcid, so it's on my shopping list for today.

Here is a recipe for homemade "Pedialyte" that I've used for Carl when he's had the big D. It is a lot cheaper than Pedialyte and he will drink this stuff:

Homemade Pedialyte

To quickly replace lost fluids and electrolytes lost with vomiting and diarrhea.

Boil 1 cup water w/ 1/8 tsp. salt

Add 3 tsp. sugar

Let cool

Keep refrigerated. Use it for about 5 days.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest SoulsMom

Kerry I'd stick with just the bland diet and the Pepcid for now, so as to not add too many variables to the mix. As long as they are drinking water and their gums look good I wouldn't worry too much about dehydration. And with Soul, one way I knew FOR SURE his tummy was upset is he would get the gurglies and arch his back a lot.

I sure hope they are on the upswing soon, poor kids :(

No vomit!!!! :yay :yay :yay Please let this mean that the worst is over... :goodluck

I guess I'll give them a Pepcid now and then a little food? Not sure how breakfast of ground beef and rice compares to regular kibble in terms of quantities. I wonder if they're hungry. Or should I just wait until tonight to give them more food :dunno

Guest Energy11

Yes, I, too would wait till tonight. So far, so good, and you don't want to upset that delicate balance, right? :-)

No puke and runny poop is always good news! I would definitely put my money on bad cookies! UGH!

p.s. I'd give the pepcid, though.

Edited by Energy11

Thanks, Amber and Dee! I gave them a Pepcid and now I'm heading back to work.

I've yet to find out if their poop is okay but no vomit is a good start :lol I'll take what I can!!