Merlin And Sagan Are Vomiting

Merlin's poo has not been good recently. He's always had excellent poo on the food he is on. I have been giving him a probiotic and this morning his poo seemed better. This afternoon is was loose, but not pudding poo.

I mentioned that because I'm not sure if it's related to the following:

Last night I bought the dogs a natural cookie each from Petco. Merlin vomited after I gave him a piece. I didn't give him anymore, but Sagan seemed fine, so he got another piece this morning.

I came back from work at lunchtime to find more vomit on the carpet :(

Then I came back from work again this afternoon - more vomit. After cleaning up DH asked me if I'd checked the muzzles. Well, lo and behold it was Sagan's muzzle that looked like it had vomit on it :huh2

Now we're thinking it was that cookie that made them both sick. Still not sure who vomited this morning - it was upstairs, and there was vomit on the carpet and our bedsheets, which would indicate that it was Merlin -- who sometimes likes to go upstairs and sleep there, on our bed or his -- but Sagan has been known to go up there when something's bothering him.

Right now, Sagan seems okay. Merlin's tummy is gurgly, although it could be just because he is hungry. Usually when it gurgles there is nothing wrong with him, he is just hungry and it stops after he's eaten.

I don't know what to do. I don't have any Pepcid at home. I am thinking of feeding them both JUST kibble and some rice tonight (while I can keep an eye on both) and then fasting them tomorrow morning.(as I will be at work tomorrow and unable to keep an eye on them).

What do you all think? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Heehoo

Well I don't have a lot of advice other than stuff you probably already know. Since I had some vomiting problems with Bob Foster, I've been keeping pedialyte in the house...so maybe alittle of that.

Sounds like the cookie needs to be tossed. Oh sorry, no pun intended.

Dang I hate to hear/read this.

I'd be more inclined NOT to feed them tonight, and give a light breakfast.

It is possible the treat has nothing to do with it and Merlin has some sort of bug that he's given to Sagan. I'm sure you've already thought of that!

Hope they feel better tomorrow!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BlackandBrindle

If you are going to fast, do so tonight, rather than tomorrow. I'd feed them a bland diet if you're going to feed them anything at all, but not kibble.

What is in the cookie? Is there something in there that they normally don't eat in their daily diet?

Garlic, whole wheat bran, Whole wheat flour, celery, parsley. They don't eat that usually.

I can't feed a bland diet tonight - I'm assuming you mean beef or chicken with rice - as I don't have keep any meat in the house. Could I feed just rice tonight? Or do you really feel like they should take a break tonight. For what it's worth, I'm inclined to agree with those who suggested fasting them tonight rather than tomorrow, but DH keeps insisting to feed them tonight and not tomorrow morning. I think it's because he wants to see what happens and who is doing the vomiting.

Also, if I don't feed them tonight I could head out to the store for tomorrow's breakfast.

Crap, I don't know what to do and it's getting late. They usually eat at 7pm and Sagan is giving me The Look. Wait, no, he gave me The Look at 7pm. Now he is giving me The Desperate Look :rolleyes:

Also, Merlin is panting for no reason. Sigh.

Edited by MerlinsMum

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Bumping :(

The reason I'm thinking it's the cookie is that they didn't throw up any of their meals, there was mostly just bile and brown stuff but no real solids other than a couple of bits.

Any chance it's just Merlin who's not feeling well and maybe Sagen rubbed his muzzle in the "prize"? I know that would be the case with my boys. Anything that looks or smells gross is a huge draw for them. puke.gif

I hope it's just a 24 hour bug and everyone is feeling better tomorrow.

Measure wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you would not take money.

Guest greyt2love

I would fast them tonight, Kerry, then a light breakfast in the morning. That gives their tummies a chance to settle. I sure hope it's nothing more than a minor tummy disturbance and they are both better tomorrow!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Feed them a little bit of rice but overcook the heck out of it. I mean less than half a cup a piece. I still say fast them tonight but if it's just bile then it could be that their stomachs are empty.

Do what you feel is best but don't stress too hard. Unless it continues, a little vomit generally isn't serious.

Feed them a little bit of rice but overcook the heck out of it. I mean less than half a cup a piece. I still say fast them tonight but if it's just bile then it could be that their stomachs are empty.

Do what you feel is best but don't stress too hard. Unless it continues, a little vomit generally isn't serious.

Any chance it's just Merlin who's not feeling well and maybe Sagen rubbed his muzzle in the "prize"? I know that would be the case with my boys.

I never thought of that!!! Thank you. It's very possible. Sagan gets his schnoz into everything...

Okay, so I just got back from the store, I bought ground up cow :puke (which I'm gonna cook tonight because otherwise I will be the one puking tomorrow morning :lol: ) and I already cooked some rice earlier, so I'll put both in the fridge and feed it to them for breakfast.

I also bought some Kaopectate and some Pepcid AC. Can anyone tell me what quantities to give, if I give them either of these two?

Thanks!!

Guest sweetpea

The pepcid is in 10mg pill, Sweetpea (60lbs) gets just one pill.

What I do with pepto (or kaopectate) is put 1 tblspn of it on a piece of bread,

let it soak in, and then I hand feed it to the princess in tiny little bites.

We have a long history of tummy unruly-ness here, and we have quite a little routine now.

I would agree if you're going to fast them, to do it tonight.

Is there anyway you can separate them tomorrow to figure out which of them is spewing?

Sweetpea just finished a gurgly cycle, it's still hard on me even though we're old pros at it now.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Beeeeg Hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Buzzy

ETA: I don't do both pepcid and pepto, one or the other (I'm thinking you know that)

Edited by sweetpea

Roscoe at 85 lbs gets 20mg of Pepcid.

I've given Sage Pepto Bismol before And I gave her the recommended amount for a child.

I hope you boys feel better! We went through the stomach bug ordeal a couple weeks ago, but that was mostly diarrhea, not vomiting.

GTsiggy_zps0481d543.jpg

Lisa with Finnegan (Nina's Fire Fly) and Sage (Gil's Selma). Always missing Roscoe
www.popdogdesigns.net pop art prints, custom portraits and collars

Guest mcsheltie

I would give them a pepcid, wait half an hour, then give them cup of rice each this evening. If neither puke or have big D then feed them in the morning. If either has either one, I would fast tomorrow morning.

My reasoning, we got a bug thru here recently. Their stomachs got really loud and some puked up bile and retched. But most kept their food down. It went thru everyone and lasted about 24 hours. Some got loose stools, some didn't. About halfway thru I started giving pepcid to the ones who had just started not feeling well and that kept it at bay. If this is the same bug, it may work for you. If it isn't, it won't hurt anything. You'll just have a little rice to clean up ;)

Guest PhillyPups

I would also get some yogurt with live cultures for when you start feeding them again, a tablespoon on top for each - helps the tummy issues. :bighug to you and kisses to the Grand Wizard and his adorably sweet stoopid brudder. :kiss2

Thank you.

Pat, I don't use dairy as you know, and the dogs don't tolerate it either, neither of them...

Great, Merlin just went out and ate grass (which DH let him do :angry:) so now he's going to vomit grass and bile tonight - and guess who will be getting up?

Grrr.

I think I'll give Merlin a pepcid because his tummy is really gurgly and if he's eating grass it may be that his stomach is really upset. He keeps asking to go out and he's panting.

Guest wmlcml6

Is it possible they could have hookworms? Maybe you can check their gums to see if they are too light,which would indicate some anemia. Hooks can cause big D and is easy to treat with Drontel Plus from the vet. Hope they feel better by tomorrow.

Guest greytbookert

I don't have much more to add than what has already been said...fast, bland diet, etc. However, I wanted to send good thoughts for both Merlin and Sagan!

on a side note, a few years ago, I bought some California Naturals cookies and all four hounds got the big D and had a little vomiting. I threw away the cookies and they were fine after fasting for a day, then a bland diet for a day or so.

Thanks, Deb. Thank you everyone. Spent a sleepless night watching over Merlin and his gurgly tummy. He started getting up and stretching a lot at 1:45am, clearly his stomach was hurting. And he was panting. He's been panting a lot recently -- even though it's cooled down considerably here. I took him out and he just peed, but walking around seemed to help a bit. Sagan wanted to come down too, but he seemed okay. The three of us stayed downstairs the rest of the night, where it's cooler. I got no sleep. Every time Merlin budged, which was very often, I was up to make sure he didn't need to go out, vomit, or whatever. His tummy kept gurgling. Eventually it seemed to calm down. He seemed to know that mum was taking care of him.... :wub: and snuggled up to me. I got his blankies for him.

Sagan's another story. He puked a large amount of bile last night at 10pm. Not sure whether it was because he was sick or hungry. Gave him a Pepcid and he slept okay. I gave them some ground beef and rice at 5.30am, they both wolfed it down. I usually walk them in the morning, and THEN feed them, but I thought I'd do it the other way around this morning so that I would be with them for 2 hours before leaving for work. I didn't give them their usual cookies before leaving. I guess I'll keep at it.

Should I keep giving them Pepcids? Or should I just wait and see what happens?

Thanks for all your good thoughts.

Guest Energy11

I'd continue the Pepcids and a bland diet. I am one who does not believe in fasting! Just makes for more acrid stomach acid. I use either boiled chicken and rice or Purina Prescription EN. We are still going thru a bit of loose poop/diarrhea here. Seems two went to the vets last week for routine exams, and brought a bug back! No vomiting, though.

You can also give Gas X for those gassy, gurgly stomachs. I'd possible see the vet about the Purina EN or Science Diet ID. It does work, and sometimes, easier than cooking the chicken and rice!

Good Luck!

Kerry, I hope Sagan and Merlin improve today. Not really sure whether you should do more Pepcids or not at this point.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

If I give Gas X - how much should I give?

I'll give them each another Pepcid when I go home at lunchtime.