Italy Growing Tired Of Her Pro Plan Lamb & Rice

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

She's had this for the past year. I had been mixing it with pumpkin but she doesn't eat it right away and will sometimes leave it for 4-5 hours so I've just been giving it to her plane.

I'm thinking I might change it up for her and get her some new food. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should replace it with? She's 6 if that helps.

On a sidenote, she has lost about 4 lbs. The vet said she could afford to lose 3-5 lbs and when I took her in last week she wasn't concerned. I think with the summer heat and some tramatic events (bad storms, air show, 4th of July, etc.) she's lost some of her appetite. She also likes to sleep in my closet now too which is odd. But I digress.

Did the vet check her teeth? Gee stopped eating suddenly and it turned out to be her teeth. Once that was taken care of she went back to eating great.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest SuperiorItaly

Did the vet check her teeth? Gee stopped eating suddenly and it turned out to be her teeth. Once that was taken care of she went back to eating great.

The vet has said Italy has some of the best teeth she's seen and we brush her teeth at least once a week and she gets 1-2 C.E.T. chews per day so I don't think that is it.

Guest Energy11

I'd go a head and try a change, why not? Our Cari is very very finicky, and I have to change her food from time to time. It is a huge pain, but it works. Better than throwing out her food.

Good Luck!

Guest kiana325

I just switched off of Pro Plan too. It turns out it wasn't working well for my guy. His poops have gotten much better since the change. We're on Science Diet now... I know, I know everyone thinks it's the devil. But, if you saw the change in our older retriever mix from Kirkland food to the Science Diet healthy mobility you too would be impressed.

kiana325: each person uses what works best for their dogs,,, I tried many through out time,,, some worked better for some than others,,,, I really don't care what others think I remember when "don't ever feed a dog people food" when we were kids,, that was all there was,,, our dogs got left overs from every meal,,,,, there was no dog food pre packaged,,,, poor dogs,,,, most lived well in to double digits,,, and I still feed left overs,,,, with 4 dogs,,,, nothing and I mean nothing goes to waste here,,, everything from bread to stale corn curls,,, my old girl is 12 and going strong :)

What is her current weight? If she's trended toward the plump side, could be she's just self-regulating. None of my dogs will do that -- they'll eat themselves into oblivion :lol -- but there are dogs who will.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

i agree w/ batmom and remember it's the summer. lots of dogs slim down when it's hot out.is she as active in the hot weather as she is in the cold/cooler weather? if they are lying around, their appetites reflect their activity level.also, she maybe at her maxium weight and being smart, she has put on the breaks.

Guest Becky__R

I know this general advice sounds lame, but a walk a day helps with appetite and with poops. When someone gave me this advice, I originally ignored it. After all, Sophie could run around any time she wanted to in the back yard. But when she took a 20-30 minute walk on the leash, all of her systems were stimulated. Days with a walk make her a better eater and a better pooper.