Laser Therapy Or Acupuncture

We adopted Pretty Girl at age 12.5 earlier this summer. She came to us a little stiff and sore due to arthritis. We immediately started her on Fresh Factors and Joint Health from Springtime. The supplements, along with daily walks and lots of running in the yard have improved her mobility immensely!

However, we had some cool, damp weather this week and I saw some of the stiffness return. I want to make sure she has a comfortable fall and winter, so want to start her on some sort of treatment before the weather turns cold.

I have both acupuncture and laser treatments available to me. I've used both, but for a different malady, so I don't know which one works better on arthritis.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I've used our human electro-acupuncture pen on my last dog to quite good effect but you need a chart (or to be shown) where the special canine points are. With something like that you can never be sure how much of the benefit comes from Placebo Effect so I guess the better you know what you're doing the better the outcome.

Also give your dog Glocosamine/Chondroitin/Green Lipped Mussel supplements.

If the vet wants to give Meloxicam (or similar) have bloodwork done to check kidney function as it can exacerbate pre-exisiting CRF (something to do with local blood flow.)

Guest Bang_o_rama

Placebo Effect is quite relevant to dogs, only by proxy. :yinyang Just think about it... they trust us implicitly and if we give off a happy healing vibe they're going to feel better from that and any extra attention alone.

Skeptics are going to Hell....

~D~

hmmm, I guess what I meant was, when I first took Sugar for acupuncture, I was neutral/skeptical about it working, but figured it was worth a shot. She would only know if she felt better (or not), not respond to expectations, like people who are told about something. She responded great, I tried it and it worked for me, too. Not sure if that is "placebo" or not :dunno

Now back to the original topic...

I work at a vet clinic in central Ohio. This story FWIW: One of our kennel folk has an OLD St.Bernard. (12) 100 lb. She has been increasingly stiff & gimpy over the past couple of years. Finally got to the point she wouldn't even get up. She managed (with lots of help) to get her into the clinic where we

kept her in the treatment area for a week & did therapy laser on her daily. That was months ago (back in the spring). Now she's down to one therapy laser

treatment every 2 weeks and although she's not "bouncy" she has no trouble getting up/down/walking/& can even do a couple of stairs. We were all totally

amazed. Laura was VERY close to letting her "go"

We also did daily therapy laser on a dog rescued from the Phillipines after a hurricane who had the most horrible knees...the rescue let him have a double patella stabilization BOTH KNEES AT ONCE. I had serious reservations & there were bets on how miserable this could be. He got therapy laser daily for one

week after the surgery (That's been exactly one week ago yesterday) and you should see him now. It's hard to keep him down....take him out, he wants to jog.

I was very skeptical of this treatment......but these two particular cases finally made a believer of me. Good luck with whatever you choose. My old boy gets on very well with Metacam (nsaid) once daily

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Sorry, while I was in the shower something occured to me.......I know I sang the praises of laser therapy (above), but I forgot to say that during training

it was drilled into us to NEVER use the therapy laser where there may be a mass/tumor. It will/can stimulate the mass to grow faster. So, it your decision

goes toward the therapy laser, make very very very very sure that there is nothing else going on. Ok, I'm done with my 2cents.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

If you want her to be comfortable, evaluate anti-inflammatory drugs for her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest hlpnhounds

I have recently started laser treatments for Logan. He had what appeared to be a hot spot on his right fron leg that ran nearly the entire length of the long bone after his near-constant licking. 4 weeks of oral antibiotics, topical genticin and an e-collar, he would still go after the leg if the e-collar was off for any length of time.

Took him in for an exam/consult with our physical therapy tech at work. She suggested laser for him but only after we took rads of the area especially since he is a 4 yr old grey and it's his right front :huh2

Fortunately, all was clear on the rads ! :banana and we proceeded with the laser treatments. He has had 2 so far and the area look so much better I can't believe it ! It's nice having skilled hands go over your dog once in a while too as she was able to find some knots in his shoulder and neck area that I didn't even know were there. As she ran the laser over the area, you could literally just feel the knot going away. :D I was amazed ! She says that his licking at the area of the long bone is near an accupuncture site that soothes the neck area.

In skilled hands, that laser can do wonders !!

I'm not sure what the cost of accupuncture treatments are but I know this treatment for Logan is $45/session before my professional discount.

Just one more reason to be a full time vet tech ! :cool