Dental Maintenance

Guest Duke

Duke had his first dental yesterday and I was wondering what you all do to maintain your dogs teeth: snacks, treatments, anything else that you find that works well

Thanks!

Brush, brush and brush. Seriously, brushing daily will reduce the frequency of the dental prophy's needed. Make sure you use "doggie toothpaste" as human tooth paste is not meant to be ingested.

I actually use a Sonicare toothbrush with my hounds--they tolerate the electric brush very well. The great thing about using an electric brush is the brushing time is reduced--literally only takes 2 minutes per pup.

Guest DebSzal

I agree - daily brushing is essential. We use Dentatreat by Wysong. I sprinkle it on their food in the morning and make a paste of it for brushing at night. It has become as much a habit as brushing my own teeth. I found the Dentatreat paste was cheaper than doggie toothpaste and they all love it. A quad toothbrush made for dogs that brushes the sides, top and the top of the opposite teeth has made brushing go much faster. I also swab the gums with a solution of 1/2 teas listerine and 1/2 cup of water. Gracie has bad gingivitis (I don't think there is good gingivitis!), but we have been successful in holding off a full dental for two years now. I have the vet check her teeth every time we go which is at least twice a year.

I also give turkey necks on occasion and they really make the teeth sparkle. Unfortunately I have trouble getting them on a regular basis otherwise I would use them more.